Silver Seven Top 15 Flash-in-the-Pan Senators of All Time

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Petr Bondra and Ales Hemsky for me.

Did not care for Hemmr at all in Ottawa, though I’m sure at the time I was excited.

Bondra on the other hand was awesome for us and he scored in game 6, I don’t care what the refs say.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
pretty good list. some folks have mentioned it but I'm surprised Bobby Butler was not on the list. Considering that one goal he scored against the habs (you know which one), his face being marketed on OC transpo buses, success going to his head ('do you know who I am?' story), contract extension, drop in play the following season which led to him getting bought out. Yup he definitely belongs in that list

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Exactly! Even though all the sources had him going very high in the draft depite suffering a knee injury during his draft year

I mean what do these hockey people know about this? Jared Cowen was not supposed to be good whatsover. It was all an illusion!

https://thehockeywriters.com/11-jared-cowen-–-the-hockey-spy’s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/

He's referred to in that article as "the big mobile defender" unfortunately for Cowan after his hip injury he became the big immobile defender

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's referred to in that article as "the big mobile defender" unfortunately for Cowan after his hip injury he became the big immobile defender

Exactly, all his injuries at a young age in a mammoth body while he was still developping certainly affected his mobility. It's already hard for such a big body to move so if you lose a bit of quickness, you're done, and that's what gradually happened to Cowen. I don't know if people were watching games, but he was very efficient for a rookie in 2011, he was only 20 y/o. He seriously looked like he was going to be a beast. Unfortunately, things went downhill after that, development didn't go up but the other way. Not the first career that went sideways because of injuries. It's crazy that people who have followed/played hockey (?) long enough still don't put that in consideration. Players have human bodies, they are not robots

If Erik Karlsson didn't have the Matt Cooke incident, I believe he would have been truly generational, in the conversation with Orr and Lidstrom. Unfortunately, it's going to be with Leetch and Coffey (which is already really great)

Reactions: Matsens15

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Exactly, all his injuries at a young age in a mammoth body while he was still developping certainly affected his mobility. It's already hard for such a big body to move so if you lose a bit of quickness, you're done, and that's what gradually happened to Cowen. I don't know if people were watching games, but he was very efficient for a rookie in 2011, he was only 20 y/o. He seriously looked like he was going to be a beast. Unfortunately, things went downhill after that, development didn't go up but the other way. Not the first career that went sideways because of injuries. It's crazy that people who have followed/played hockey (?) long enough still don't put that in consideration. Players have human bodies, they are not robots

If Erik Karlsson didn't have the Matt Cooke incident, I believe he would have been truly generational, in the conversation with Orr and Lidstrom. Unfortunately, it's going to be with Leetch and Coffey (which is already really great)

He had injuries but his main issue was just being a dumb hockey player, never could tie up his man in front of the net, bad pinches, horrible positioning...he just tried to play above his skill level and got burned from it making the same mistakes over and over.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I recall Ryan Shannon putting up a pretty good pace in his first year here before promptly dropping off the following year.

Dude had some great eyes though.

Reactions: Matsens15

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

The topic was about how he preformed in a Sens uniform. He sucked in all his years here.

Reactions: Ed Wood and robsenz

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Chris 1st round pick top pairing Campoli

Branden Senators PMD savior Bell

How could we forget Patrick "Spezza's new Winger" Eaves

Meszaros looked like a star after that insane rookie season.

Reactions: robsenz

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Chris 1st round pick top pairing Campoli

Branden Senators PMD savior Bell

How could we forget Patrick "Spezza's new Winger" Eaves

Meszaros looked like a star after that insane rookie season.

Bell played well here...It just reminded me of Andre Benoit who was really solid during his short stint here, never really got any credit for how well he played, I was hoping they would resign him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He had injuries but his main issue was just being a dumb hockey player, never could tie up his man in front of the net, bad pinches, horrible positioning...he just tried to play above his skill level and got burned from it making the same mistakes over and over.

Being slower than others makes you look dumb on TV. The NHL goes way too fast. I have played in different levels of amateur leagues (being european and coming in NA at 11 y/o, I started hockey late and started goaltending on the ice only in College), and at each level you see a clear difference. Now imagine the ECHL, then the AHL, then the NHL. That league is filled with the fastest/best players in the world. Even 4th liners are ultra skilled compared to the best players you have played with and against. I have seen Georges Laraque skate circles around some pretty good hockey players. I played against Burrows in a very competitive cosom league (there was guys coming from the QMJHL in that league) before he was even signed to the NHL and he wasn't allowed to shoot. Even then, no team had a chance against him.

Jared losing that mobility sank him, and since decision making wasn't his strenght, he just couldn't keep up. You have no time to think. If you're slower than others, you are going to get overwhelmed. Put any good hockey player you know that you would think is "pretty smart", and he would look like the "dumbest" player that ever laced them up in the NHL. lol I remember that guy who was maybe the best lplayer in the league, I invited him to play in another league who was a level higher and he couldn't keep up. Guys told me "I thought you were supposed to bring a good player"

Cowen had to reinvent himself as a pro hockey player but pride got in the way and he didn't. A hockey player's body/brain is his toolbox, like for any athlete, if you downgrade some of these tools from that toolbox, your reality changes. There's a million of examples through all sports.

It's also a similar problem for Ceci, not his mobility because he has great tools but his decision making isn't good enough to dominate (because you need to dominate to be good in the NHL). The most successful players are those who are just natural and play with instinct. They know where to be, they know where the puck will go and where their teammates are/will be. It has to do with spatial awareness and sense of anticipation. I suspect Ceci is not capable to rely on instinct so he is relying on his decision making that isn't a strenght.

You can also look at EK, sometimes he will look pretty "dumb" on the ice, but sometimes he looks like a genius. It could be that his instinct fooled him or served him great, it could be that he was overthinking or tried to force a play that wasn't there because he misjudged the situation. People need to take in consideration the NHL PACE. The speed on the ice vs what you even see on TV : no time to think, plenty of ways to get fooled. It has NOTHING to do with being smart or not, it's like I said related to spatial awareness, anticipation, decision making, etc. You could be the smartest man on earth and still suck at these things.

But maybe people are right, all I'm saying is just non-sense and "dumb" is well enough to understand all this :sarcasm:

The topic was about how he preformed in a Sens uniform. He sucked in all his years here.

The first post I quoted was "Was never good." so I started to answer on that.

And you can say/think what you want, but there is going to be people who differ from that opinion, and not only before his NHL career, but also on his rookie season.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yeah, Regin boggles my mind too. Guy had above average hockey vision and all the tools needed to be a solid player. It just didn't work somehow. For some of these guys it just feels like a spinning coin standing on its edge before falling over. Pure luck whether they go onto a legit career or disappear into thin air.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, Regin boggles my mind too. Guy had above average hockey vision and all the tools needed to be a solid player. It just didn't work somehow. For some of these guys it just feels like a spinning coin standing on its edge before falling over. Pure luck whether they go onto a legit career or disappear into thin air.
He had that recurring shoulder injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad