Silver Seven Top 15 Flash-in-the-Pan Senators of All Time

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We’ve had a couple of recent best-of-lists, with Brandon counting down the Top 10 free agent signings in Ottawa Senators history, and Shaan looking at the Top 5 each of the best and worst trades of Pierre Dorion’s tenure. Today, we’ll continue, looking at the Top 15 flash-in-the-pan Sens — because I didn’t want to settle on just 10.

Now, before we start, let’s lay down some ground rules. Flash-in-the-pan, in this instance only, refers to players who were great for the Sens for a period of less than one season, and then saw their careers drop off. This means that players like Ales Hemsky and Dominik Hasek don’t count, since their best play came away from Ottawa, much less guys like Scott Gomez and Peter Bondra, who played some of the worst hockey of their illustrious careers with the Sens. This also means that players with huge hype who never lived up to it don’t count, like Alexandre Daigle or Martin Prusek. No, this countdown is for guys who shone brightest in a Sens uniform, and didn’t shine for long.

Top 15 Flash-in-the-Pan Senators of All Time

Reactions: Larionov

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The top 10 best free agent signing list shows how pathetic we've been in that regard. Very hard to have a competitive team when you either don't have money or can't spend it because no one wants it, or you have to vastly overpay.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Brandon Bochenski. 2005 pre-season was lighting it up for the Sens - to the point that Spezza even gave him a nickname! Then quickly fizzled out in the regular season for us and then the Hawks.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Brandon Bochenski. 2005 pre-season was lighting it up for the Sens - to the point that Spezza even gave him a nickname! Then quickly fizzled out in the regular season for us and then the Hawks.
This was definitely my first thought... and then Hammond.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Bochenski the only one to get an honorary HF Sens Board award named after him. :) But i guess Hammond can now have this award which isnt related to pre-season.

They mentioned Bochenski is running for mayor of Grand Forks. Election was scheduled for June 9th. Good luck BBo. He's entering as a real estate developer anxious to help develop the area. Maybe he will help in development of his alma mater Fighting Hawks hockey too. Grand Forks practically in Canada anyway, we should really be adopting them. A Sens Fighting Hawks alliance. Maybe get Euge to be a benefactor to the program since it is almost becoming one of our development factories.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Cowen
Wiercioch
Condon

I'm a massive Cowen hater, so take my comment with a grain of salt...was he ever good besides a few big hits and couple of fights. I hated everything else about his game, he was brutal he gained an early ok reputation based on soley potential because of his size when he was drafted, he never really did anything good here imo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's crazy but looking at that article "Ranking Pierre Dorion’s Best and Worst Trades", I think very close to exacty the same with the 5th worst as the exception

Now regarding this article, I still have no idea years later as to how Peter Regin didn't have at least a decent NHL career, in the same fashion as Frans Nielsen. Maybe his shoulder injury made him start playign scared I don't know. The NHL ice can be intimidating that's for sure. Players skate like the wind and hit like trucks so it might not be as easy as it looks on TV. Makes me realize how those small guys like a Gionta or even Ennis, etc they must have major balls to be able to do that.

But yeah, the 2 that fits this definition the best are definitely Hammond and Bochenski. IMO, Patrick Eaves should be mentionned as well. He looked like more than a 4th liner in his rookie season (I know that 36 goals season down the road)

The top 10 best free agent signing list shows how pathetic we've been in that regard. Very hard to have a competitive team when you either don't have money or can't spend it because no one wants it, or you have to vastly overpay.

I really liked the Gonchar and McArthur signings. It's also true that a "minor" signing like Hammond paid dividends. Kovalev was also a good signing even if it didn't work as good in his 2nd year here, but in reality all we can do is get those stars at the end of their careers.

Hasek also should have paid much more but that damn injury at the olympics. We also had some good signings prior to Muckler but let's keep in mind that attracting players to a small canadian market with that kind of owner with empty pockets is not an easy feat (applies more to Murray and Dorion, although Dorion quickly put himself in an even less favorable position to sign UFAs). Winter is cold, taxes are heavier and the Ottawa nightlight is very modest. If Montreal struggles big time to attract free agents, imagine Ottawa

Has a player fallen as fast Condon?

Condon should have never been regarded as high in the first place

He had some good games with the Sens and did a relatively good job during Andy's leave but simply watching him play in Montreal, or even Ottawa, it was enough to know that this guy couldn't be a bonafide NHL goalie

I have never been high on Condon, like I was never high on Hammond, even during his run. Chances are that I will be less often wrong on goalies than players since I'm a goalie myself.

I'm a massive Cowen hater, so take my comment with a grain of salt...was he ever good besides a few big hits and couple of fights. I hated everything else about his game, he was brutal he gained an early ok reputation based on soley potential because of his size when he was drafted, he never really did anything good here imo.

Cowen in his draft year was talked about being drafted before Victor Hedman, but then got injured. Then he started dominating the AHL, injury. Then he looked really promising in his first NHL season, then injury. He was never the same after that and he didn't have the attitude and the right set of mind to adjust to another type of NHL career. You talk about a guy who was hyped for a long time and was supposed to become a dominant NHL player. His pride took a hit when he had to adjust to be a 3rd pairing D-man. Some can adjust, but most won't.

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Was never good. Just hyped because the team made the playoffs and he was in the top 4.

Reactions: robsenz

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->