Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Lol, can tell y’all’s age from the lack of Broad Street Bullies love

Here is how I look at the decades and those of us born in the 60s:

1970s: The players were admired. Folk heroes. A little boy lived vicariously through larger than life figures seen on TV, heard on the radio and read about in print.
1980s: The little boy was the same age as many players. The players were regular guys, not heroes. Just people who were same ages, similar interests, one of us. It was beyond fun when things went well.
1990s: OK, we began to see players whose dads we once followed. How did that happen?
2000s and beyond: Some how the players kept getting younger. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Top 10 favourite players:
1. Claude Giroux
2. Eric Lindros
3. Kimmo Timonen
4. Simon Gagne
5. Mike Richards
6. Sean Couturier
7. Chris Pronger, despite a short stint.
8. Ghost
9. Tommy Söderström. Random, but he always replied to my letters and sent back autographed cards and stuff when I was a kid.
10. Probably Mikael Renberg.

HM: Brent Fedyk, because I wore #18 playing hockey when he was here and I had a bunch of his hockey cards.
Steve Mason.
Soderstrom was the best. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ;)

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Lol, can tell y’all’s age from the lack of Broad Street Bullies love
I appreciate the history, obviously, but I can't appropriately pick a favourite from an era where I didn't watch a player live as a fan of the team.

I feel like my list would have been chock full of the 80's players of I was a fan then. Watching non-Canadian teams was near impossible in the 80's outside of the playoffs, so I barely saw the Flyers until run ins with the Habs and Oilers in the playoffs.

The Cup teams rule all and it's always nice to see/read the memories of those here that were lucky enough to witness the championships.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Here is how I look at the decades and those of us born in the 60s:

1970s: The players were admired. Folk heroes. A little boy lived vicariously through larger than life figures seen on TV, heard on the radio and read about in print.
1980s: The little boy was the same age as many players. The players were regular guys, not heroes. Just people who were same ages, similar interests, one of us. It was beyond fun when things went well.
1990s: OK, we began to see players whose dads we once followed. How did that happen?
2000s and beyond: Some how the players kept getting younger. :sarcasm:
Spot on!

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Top 10 favorites in no particular order. Started watching in 2005.

Simmonds
Hartnell
Konecny
Carter
Kapanen
Knuble
Briere
Giroux
Timonen
Couturier and Gagne (couldn't pick just one of them for the last one)

HM to Hart (yes, already). I might also have to add Primeau solely because even though I only saw less than 10 games of his career, he was my first Flyers jersey.

Petr Nedved
Nedved, a career underachiever, appeared in 49 games over parts of two seasons in 2006 and 2007. To obtain Nedved, Clarke surrendered Dennis Seidenberg, who would go on to have a solid career over the ensuing decade.
Not to mention he got demoted. I remember seeing him play for the Phantoms when we were Bears season ticket holders.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Primeau's the guy I think doesn't get enough credit. He doesn't make any all-time franchise leader boards and his number isn't retired but he was the freaking man. playoff performance in 2004 was one of the greatest runs of all time -- he led all players in even-strength (and short-handed) goals without making the Finals. He couldn't have been more clutch.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Primeau's the guy I think doesn't get enough credit. He doesn't make any all-time franchise leader boards and his number isn't retired but he was the freaking man. playoff performance in 2004 was one of the greatest runs of all time -- he led all players in even-strength (and short-handed) goals without making the Finals. He couldn't have been more clutch.
The counter point to that run was his perception as a playoff no show up until that point—besides his ot goal against the pens.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Other than that playoff run, his time as a Flyer was pretty unspectacular. It was a fantastic run, but in the end the team failed to reach the finals, let alone win the Cup though it was certainly no fault of Primeau’s.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Top 10... no order

Here goes insanity!

Andre Dupont
Mark Howe
Eric Desjardins
Ron Hextall
Bobby Clarke
Bernie Parent
John LeClair
Tim Kerr
Wayne Simmonds
Dave Schultz

Reactions: sabremike and BiggE

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Always loved Da Moose. One of the most colorful players in Flyers history for sure.
Him and Clarkie were my gateway to hockey. So they would be tough to remove.

Schultz will probably be bumped next...

I could see Provorov or Konecny doing it in a few years.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Him and Clarkie were my gateway to hockey. So they would be tough to remove.

Schultz will probably be bumped next...

I could see Provorov or Konecny doing it in a few years.
Current young Flyers who could end up on my list one day:

Carter Hart
Ivan Provorov
Travis Konecny
Joel Farabee

I just love the way those 4 play the game

Reactions: dragonoffrost

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Current young Flyers who could end up on my list one day:

Carter Hart
Ivan Provorov
Travis Konecny
Joel Farabee

I just love the way those 4 play the game
I didn't mention Hart as he's still new new... :) But if he cracks it it will bump Hextall

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I also went back to my original list and added Couts as an honorable mention. He needs to be there.
Yeah Coots and G are a tough go right now. Both are definitely in the 11-20 area.

Giroux
Couturier
Propp
McCrimmon
Lindros (even with the damn drama)
Tocchett
Zezel
Pronger
Provorov
Konecny

All are in that 11-20 range.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Here’s a mini list for today:

Five times the Flyers got shafted for major awards.

72-73 Bill Barber - Calder
Barber was runner up to the Rags Steve Vickers that year. Their offensive numbers were pretty close, but Barber was the better all around player and was a regular in the PK for most of the season as well. The Flyers were universally hated by the NHL by the end of that season though and Barber never stood a chance.

73-74 Bernie Parent - Hart
They had to give Bernie the Vezina and the Smythe was a no brainer too, but he deserved the Hart as well. Both Clarke and Macleish, along with top line RW Bill Flett put up a lot less offense than the prior season, yet the Flyers improved their record and easily won their division. The reason? Bernie Parent. 73 starts, 47 wins, a 1.86 gaa and 12 shutouts. No one in the NHL was more valuable to their team in 73-74 than Bernard Marcel Parent.

84-85 & 85-86 Mark Howe - Norris
Yeah Coffey put up more points, big f***ing deal. How many more points would Howe have put up if instead of Dave Poulin and Peter Zezel, his top centers were named Gretzky and Messier. Coffey wasn’t even close to Howe as an all around player and would be parked on the bench if the Oilers were holding a 1 or 2 goal lead late in a game. Howe was totally screwed over for the Norris both of those seasons.

86-87 Ron Hextall - Calder
There is no more pressure filled position in pro sports than #1 goalie on an NHL team. All Hextall did was dominate his position and win the Vezina trophy that year. I don’t care how many goals Luc Robataille scored, the Calder should have been Hexy’s.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Five times the Flyers got shafted for major awards.

72-73 Bill Barber - Calder
Barber was runner up to the Rags Steve Vickers that year. Their offensive numbers were pretty close, but Barber was the better all around player and was a regular in the PK for most of the season as well. The Flyers were universally hated by the NHL by the end of that season though and Barber never stood a chance.

73-74 Bernie Parent - Hart
They had to give Bernie the Vezina and the Smythe was a no brainer too, but he deserved the Hart as well. Both Clarke and Macleish, along with top line RW Bill Flett put up a lot less offense than the prior season, yet the Flyers improved their record and easily won their division. The reason? Bernie Parent. 73 starts, 47 wins, a 1.86 gaa and 12 shutouts. No one in the NHL was more valuable to their team in 73-74 than Bernard Marcel Parent.

Yeah Coffey put up more points, big ****ing deal. How many more points would Howe have put up if instead of Dave Poulin and Peter Zezel, his top centers were named Gretzky and Messier. Coffey wasn’t even close to Howe as an all around player and would be parked on the bench if the Oilers were holding a 1 or 2 goal lead late in a game. Howe was totally screwed over for the Norris both of those seasons.

There is no more pressure filled position in pro sports than #1 goalie on an NHL team. All Hextall did was dominate his position and win the Vezina trophy that year. I don’t care how many goals Luc Robataille scored, the Calder should have been Hexy’s.

#6 would be Ghost with the Calder Sorry 24 years old with that many years in the KHL isn't a Rookie F U Breadman.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Again, good heartfelt summaries. I won't try to deflect from the issue of whether Hextall should have received the award or not but overwhelmingly what he accomplished that playoff run was more significant than the regular season and as we know that doesn't count for this award.

There was a key game between the Kings and Flyers late in the year and unofficially the award was considered a tossup. I could be mistaken but I think it was on national TV. However, it was known that some voters were swayed by that game and much because Luc Robitaille scored twice in a couple or so minutes to break open the game; Hexy was later pulled. The team did not look good that night, Sutter, Tocchet and Poulin were hurt and Zezel suffered a knee injury which sidelined him until the playoffs

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Top 10 worst 1st round draft picks:

1. Ryan Sittler, RW, 7th overall, 1992
2. Bob Currier, C, 6th overall, 1969
3. Danny Lucas, RW, 14th overall, 1978
4. Glen Seabrooke, C, 21st overall, 1985
5. Steve Smith, D, 17th overall, 1981
6. Mike Stothers, D, 21st overall, 1980
7. Maxime Ouellet, G, 22nd overall, 1999
8. Darren Rumble, D, 20th overall, 1987
9. Claude Boivin, LW, 14th overall, 1988
10. Larry Wright, C, 8th overall, 1971

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008

Yeah Coffey put up more points, big ****ing deal. How many more points would Howe have put up if instead of Dave Poulin and Peter Zezel, his top centers were named Gretzky and Messier. Coffey wasn’t even close to Howe as an all around player and would be parked on the bench if the Oilers were holding a 1 or 2 goal lead late in a game. Howe was totally screwed over for the Norris both of those seasons.

Howe was robbed in 1982-83 as well. He finished second to Rod Langway. The voters gave Langway too much credit for turning the Caps from a laughingstock to a credible team that year. Langway was a -2 that year, one of only three Norris winners in history to finish with a minus rating.

Coffey was a defenseman in name only. He was a glorified forward in his heyday who constantly cherry picked and couldn't be bothered to play defense. Coffey was a selfish player who cared only about padding his stats and breaking Orr's single season goals and points records. Howe was an all around defenseman who made things look so easy. He made crisp outlet passes, never panicked when a forechecker was closing in and was an excellent PP quarterback with an accurate shot. It's not a coincidence that the Flyers began to falter when Howe began having back issues in the late 80's.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Can’t have top moments in Flyers history without:
Clarke scores in OT in game 2 of the 74 finals

Dornhoeffers game winner to give the Flyers their first series win ever in 73 vs Minnesota

Both Cup winning goals

Dave Poulins goal while 2 men short against the Nordiques in the 85 playoffs

and

Ed Van Impe’s crushing elbow that almost made the Soviets quit in 76
How about the JJ goal in game 6 vs the Oilers in 1987? Everyone I've ever talked to says that was the single loudest moment in the history of the Spectrum.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Coffey is the most overrated player in history. When he came to the Flyers it was quite clear he had no idea how to play defense. And he wasn't that great on offense either. I remember Scotty Bowman talking to reporters about Coffey, saying he wasn't really that good at QBing the power play. He wasn't. While Coffey won a ton, his teams had this curious habit of trading him away and then winning Stanley Cups.

The only real competition Howe has for top defenseman of the 1980s is Ray Bourque.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Other than that playoff run, his time as a Flyer was pretty unspectacular. It was a fantastic run, but in the end the team failed to reach the finals, let alone win the Cup though it was certainly no fault of Primeau’s.

I disagree that the rest of his time was unspectacular. He's scoring a ppg in 2001 without Lindros or LeClair and outscoring Brind'Amour from the time of the trade until he started breaking down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad