Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Top 10 "What If's"

What if?

1. Pelle had decided to stay home like he planned rather than going to the team party that horrible night
2. Stickle calls the offside in game 6 of the 1980 SCF
3. Parent and MacLeish were healthy for 1976 SCF
4. Tim Kerr was about somewhat healthy and able to go in the 1987 SCF
5. Lindros is awarded to New York
6. Lindros played with his head up
7. Hextall stops Claude Lemieux's 40 foot shot in game 5 of the 1995 ECF
8. The Flyers had just an average goalie for the 2010 SCF
9. The Flyer had healthy defensemen for the 2004 playoffs
10. Ed Snider declined that invitation to go the Rangers-Bruins game where he came up with the idea of having a NHL team in Philadelphia

Question for @MiamiScreamingEagles or @BiggE. Besides financing the building of the Spectrum, what was Eagles owner Jerry Wolman's involvement with the Flyers? It's been years since I read Full Spectrum, through I do remember Snider and Wolman being business partners who had a falling out concerning Eagles coach Joe Kuharich.
Great what ifs. Tough to say how things might have been, but it’s fun to think about.

Snider had worked for Wolman with the Eagles and, at the time, they were close. Wolman did help with the financing of the Flyers to a small degree, but the key was Joe Scott. Scott had the old time Philly main line roots and connections to the banks that landed them most of the financing. This is why Scott was given the title of Chairman of the Board Emeritus of the team. Snider and Wolman had a nasty fall out over the Flyers and other business ventures shortly after the Flyers began and they never reconciled.

It was very touch and go that Philly would even get a team as late as the winter of 66-67. Most of the NHL brass thought Philly would never support a pro hockey team and their preference was Baltimore.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The three greatest Flyers goals that I ever saw in person:

Dave Poulin scores while 2 men short versus Quebec in the 1985 conference final

JJ Daigneault scores the game winning goal in game 6 of the SCF vs Edmonton in 1987

Simon Gagne’s OT goal in game 6 of the conference final vs Tampa in 2004

Chicago played on the Ben Franklin Parkway that night. Many Mooseheads (don't kill me I wasn't old enough to buy so i drank what was available) were consumed. Walking back to the car we hear JJ scored. Immediately a "f*** the Oilers" chant breaks out on the Parkway. What a night!

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Chicago played on the Ben Franklin Parkway that night. Many Mooseheads (don't kill me I wasn't old enough to buy so i drank what was available) were consumed. Walking back to the car we hear JJ scored. Immediately a "**** the Oilers" chant breaks out on the Parkway. What a night!
Post game, we met some concert goers at JC Dobbs on South Street. I vaguely remember we closed the bar, after that, it’s all a haze.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Top 10 "What If's"

What if?
this needs to be higher
of the 6 "regulars" on D in the '04 ECF, 3 of them basically never played in the NHL again [with good reason]
and one of the others was Markov, who lasted about another 100+ games or so, about a thousand less games than Justin Williams to date...

Stumble40

Jun 24, 2019
Top 10 "What If's"

What if?

1. Pelle had decided to stay home like he planned rather than going to the team party that horrible night
2. Stickle calls the offside in game 6 of the 1980 SCF
3. Parent and MacLeish were healthy for 1976 SCF
4. Tim Kerr was about somewhat healthy and able to go in the 1987 SCF
5. Lindros is awarded to New York
6. Lindros played with his head up
7. Hextall stops Claude Lemieux's 40 foot shot in game 5 of the 1995 ECF
8. The Flyers had just an average goalie for the 2010 SCF
10. Ed Snider declined that invitation to go the Rangers-Bruins game where he came up with the idea of having a NHL team in Philadelphia

Question for @MiamiScreamingEagles or @BiggE. Besides financing the building of the Spectrum, what was Eagles owner Jerry Wolman's involvement with the Flyers? It's been years since I read Full Spectrum, through I do remember Snider and Wolman being business partners who had a falling out concerning Eagles coach Joe Kuharich.
What if the Flyers has gotten then #1 pick. In 07,( pat kane)
Every other team to finish last in league history picked #1 previously.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Mike Bullard
Ric Nattress
Stewart Malgunas
Al Conroy
Mark Pederson
Norm Lacomb
Corey Foster
Bill Root
Nick Fotiu
Brad Jones

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Top nicknames in no particular order. I know I'm missing a few guys.

1. Fred "The Fog" Shero
2. Dave "The Hammer" Schultz
3. Bob "Hound Dog" Kelly
4. Andre "Moose" DuPont
5. Reggie "The Rifle"Leach
6. "Iron" Mike Keenan
7. Kenny "The Rat"Linseman
8. "The Count" Bob Dailey
9. Keith "The Thief" Allen
10. "The Beast" Brad McCrimmon

Good list. I am not sure I would change anything from what you wrote. In terms of nicknames themselves, "The Rat" would be top three with the Hammer and Moose -- not including skill levels or importance of the person. This was a Hockey News cover:
canadian-professional-hockey-player-ken-linseman-forward-of-the-a-picture-id53115774

Others:

Ed "Boxcar" Hospodar
Rick "Hawk" MacLeish
Ron "Flocky Hockey" Flockhart
Larry "The Rock" Zeidel
Eric "Rico" Desjardins
Johnny "Johnny Vermont" LeClair

Gene Hart told a story of Bill Barber and how players called him Arnold Pigeletti or Arnie or Piggy. Typical hockey stuff but more inside than anything else. Probably a reference to Arnold the Pig from Green Acres.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Good list. I am not sure I would change anything from what you wrote. In terms of nicknames themselves, "The Rat" would be top three with the Hammer and Moose -- not including skill levels or importance of the person. This was a Hockey News cover:
canadian-professional-hockey-player-ken-linseman-forward-of-the-a-picture-id53115774

Others:

Ed "Boxcar" Hospodar
Rick "Hawk" MacLeish
Ron "Flocky Hockey" Flockhart
Larry "The Rock" Zeidel
Eric "Rico" Desjardins
Johnny "Johnny Vermont" LeClair

Gene Hart told a story of Bill Barber and how players called him Arnold Pigeletti or Arnie or Piggy. Typical hockey stuff but more inside than anything else. Probably a reference to Arnold the Pig from Green Acres.
Yup, it was Arnie the Pig from Green Acres. When it comes to nicknames, can’t forget Don “Big Bird” Saleski. Also, from the obscure dept, Jerome “Moses” Mrazek

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Yup, it was Arnie the Pig from Green Acres. When it comes to nicknames, can’t forget Don “Big Bird” Saleski. Also, from the obscure dept, Jerome “Moses” Mrazek
Craig "the chief" berube is top 10

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Wouldn't mind seeing Flyers' Top-10 best NHL rookie seasons. Has to be rookie-eligible. Barber, Renberg, Lindros, Clarke, sure. Lindberg. Cechmanek? Love him or hate him, the stats were ridiculous. Behn Wilson? Brian Propp? I'll hang up and listen.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Wouldn't mind seeing Flyers' Top-10 best NHL rookie seasons. Has to be rookie-eligible. Barber, Renberg, Lindros, Clarke, sure. Lindberg. Cechmanek? Love him or hate him, the stats were ridiculous. Behn Wilson? Brian Propp? I'll hang up and listen.
I’ll do this one sometime soon, but the ones who come to mind first are:
Bill Barber
Brian Propp
Dave Poulin
Peter Zezel
Mikael Renberg
Eric Lindros
Simon Gagne
Pete Peeters
Ghost

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I’ll do this one sometime soon, but the ones who come to mind first are:
Bill Barber
Brian Propp
Dave Poulin
Peter Zezel
Mikael Renberg
Eric Lindros
Simon Gagne
Pete Peeters
Ghost

Pelle Eklund is up there. Great PP tandem with Tim Kerr.
Ron Flockhart? Never forget Flocky Hockey. One dimensional as it may have been.
Doug Favell is another in the Flyers first season.
Brian Boucher's rookie season should be recognized, too.
Sergei Bobrovsky, too. That is many goalies isn't it?

Last edited:

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Pelle Eklund is up there. Great PP tandem with Tim Kerr.
Ron Flockhart? Never forget Flocky Hockey. One dimensional as it may have been.
Doug Favell is another in the Flyers first season.
Brian Boucher's rookie season should be recognized, too.
Sergei Bobrovsky, too. That is many goalies isn't it?

Perhaps Top 10 Skaters' rookie seasons and Top 5 Goalies' rookie seasons.

Robbie Moore, anyone?

Reactions: BiggE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad