Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
You know something, I have a huge problem with this organization concerning the period from ~2013-Present. We have all these players breaking team records, and while it's not their fault, the Flyers haven't done jack shit in all that time. They haven't BEEN jack shit in all that time. Again, this is a management issue 100%, and a rebuild was more than necessary. They've botched it. For me personally, it affects the way I feel about players like Giroux and Jake - when I get to BiggE's opinions about them I just kind of shrug my shoulders - they've been here, they've fought and been excellent ... but we just aren't the Flyers I know, and haven't been for ages.

I come here not to whine - there's plenty of space for that in every other thread. It just makes me realize how much the Flyers from days of yore who ran the gauntlet of serious playoff runs and serious opposition mean to me and to us. While I couldn't care less where the current players are ranked, I will go to the mat for anybody from 1987 (except Kerry Huffman). The present iteration of this team needs to sit down, stop f***ing yapping and spouting dopey platitudes like "BE A F***ING FLYER!" and actually BE f***ing Flyers. That, or get the f*** out. You all know how I feel and which way I think it should go.

tl;dr - know your history.
With a lot of slop in the middle, I truly believe that G will bookend his career with another SCF appearance (and hopefully a Cup to go along with it). The team hasn't been close in talent for almost a decade, but they're closer than they have been now than any time since 2012.

We'll get to see this again and look back on 2012-2020 as a dark age period for the franchise. But G's legacy will change dramatically with a second Final appearance.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
With a lot of slop in the middle, I truly believe that G will bookend his career with another SCF appearance (and hopefully a Cup to go along with it). The team hasn't been close in talent for almost a decade, but they're closer than they have been now than any time since 2012.

We'll get to see this again and look back on 2012-2020 as a dark age period for the franchise. But G's legacy will change dramatically with a second Final appearance.

Just don't invest too much in that belief - hold back some, as a contingency.

Reactions: BiggE

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Just don't invest too much in that belief - hold back some, as a contingency.
I am strangely largely objective with respect to the Flyers and their place in the league.

Even teams like the current Tampa iteration are guaranteed nothing, so I know it's possible the Flyers won't make another SCF with G. The belief that they will is knowing that the pieces are generally there and, while luck will certainly factor in, the window is open now for the first time since it slammed shut in 2012.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
Roenick was pretty kickass in his time here. He led the Flyers in scoring twice in three years, although Ken Hitchcock crushed everyone's offensive numbers with his coaching style. If only it was 90's Roenick. No question Voracek has had a better career here.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Did some work on the best single game playoff performances yesterday. Managed to separate at top 4, followed very closely by a group of 5. That only leaves me with a dozen or so to choose from for the 10th.

Don’t be surprised to see a name or 2 that you normally would see on a Best of Flyers list. Remember, it’s based on the players performance in a single playoff game, not series, run or career. I will (hopefully) get the list up later today.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
OMG, the amount of popups and b.s. ads on this f***ing site is infuriating!!

Anyway, the first post in my look at best Flyers single game playoff performances of all time is a list of the just missed the cut honorable mentions. These 11 performances are listed in chronological order and not by any type of merit ranking. And away we go!!

1. Ross Lonsberry, game 2 vs NYR, 1974 Semifinals
The Flyers went into this game with a 1-0 series lead after a convincing game one victory. Up til this point, no expansion team had ever defeated one of the original six in a playoff series. Lonsberry would assist on the only goal scored in the first period. The game remained tight after 2 periods with the Flyers clinging to a slim 2-1 lead. Roscoe then went on to take over the game in the 3rd, scoring 2 goals (one shorthanded) and adding another assist as the Flyers went on to win 5-2 and take a 2-0 series lead.

2. Bernie Parent, game 3 vs TOR, 1975 quarterfinals
Coming off another shutout in game 2, albeit one in which he wasn't tested much, Parent led the Flyers into Toronto with a 2-0 series lead. Bernie was spectacular in game 3, stopping all 31 Leaf shots. The Leafs outplayed the Flyers for much of the game, but Bernie was invincible that evening as the Flyers won 2-0 and took a commanding 3-0 lead in the series.

3. Bill Barber, game 2 vs QUE, 1981 preliminary round
In a wild 8-5 barn burner, Bill Barber was the best player on the ice. Barber scored twice in the first period, once on the pp and once at ES, and the Flyers never looked back. He went on to complete the hat trick with a shorty in the 2nd that restored the Flyers 2 goal lead and gave the team some breathing room. I was at that game, and Barber was, without a doubt, the best player on the ice that night.

4. Rick St. Croix, game 1 vs CAL, 1981 quarter finals
Let me guess, you weren't expecting to see St. Croix on this list? Well he earned his spot with a masterful shutout of the Flames in game one of this series. The journeyman goalie stopped 31 of 31 and was the best player on the ice in the Flyers 4-0 game one victory. We won't talk about how the series ended though.

5. Dave Poulin, game 7 vs NYI, 1987 division final
To understand the impact of this performance, the scene must be properly set. The Flyers had built a 3-1 lead in the series against the aging, but very experienced and still dangerous Islanders. However injuries were piling up and Poulin had been put on the sidelines with broken ribs. The Flyers lost games 5 and 6 and they seemed to be fading as the series went on. Game 7 at the spectrum would decide it. Prior to the game, one in which he wasn't expected to suit up, Poulin did what needed to be done. He lathered up his ribcage with the painkilling DMSO gel, had the trainer also give him novocaine shots and he then strapped on a flak jacket under his sweater and he hit the ice for warmups. When the Philly faithful saw their captain hit the ice, the building exploded and we knew the Isles were toast. Although Poulin could barely breath, let alone skate, without wincing in pain, he played a fantastic game. He picked up 2 key assists and was his usual dominant self on the PK as he led the Flyers to a convincing 5-1 victory and a berth in the conference final. It was one of the gutsiest performances in Flyers history.

6. Brian Propp, game 5 vs EDM, 1987 SCF
Propp outdid Gretzky as a playmaker in this game picking up 4 assists and leading the Flyers to a huge 4-3 upset victory in Edmonton. The Flyers trailed 2-0 and later 3-1 in this game, but Propp and the boys would not be denied and went on to send the series back to Philly for game 6.

7. John Leclair, game 1 vs NYR, 1995 second round
The Rags were the defending champions and though the Flyers were the much better team during the season, many pundits thought the Rangers would turn it on in the postseason and were picking them to upset Philly. Big John made sure that wasn't going to happen as he scored a hat trick in game one and helped the Flyers get the game to OT where Eric Desjardins would score and give the Flyers the all important game one victory.

8. Eric Lindros, game 3 vs NYR, 1997 conference final
The Flyers went into New York with the series tied at one and were facing a rabid (literally and figuratively) MSG crowd for game 3. The big E opened the scoring in the first and added 2 more in the 3rd to put the Rags away 6-3 and take a 2-1 series lead. However the hat trick only tells part of the story. Lindros was physically dominant and owned the game that night. If not for superlative goaltending by Mike Richter, number 88 might have scored 5 or 6 goals, he was that good.

9. Robert Esche, game 4 vs NJD, 2004 first round
Silent Bob came up big and helped give the Flyers a commanding 3-1 series lead against the hated shitbag Devils. Esche slammed the door shut on the Debs, stopping all 35 shots on his way to leading the Flyers to a 3-1 series lead.

10. Keith Primeau, game 6 vs TB, 2004 conference final
This was the best performance of Primeau's amazing run during the 2004 playoffs. Down 3-2 in the series and with half of the starting D corps out with injuries, Primeau put the Flyers on his back and led the team to a 5-4 OT victory. Primeau set the tone with some huge hits and a goal and assist in the first period. Then with the Flyers down 4-3 with less than 2 minutes to go in the game, Primeau dug deep and did it again scoring the game tying goal and allowing the Flyers to get to OT. Finally, late in overtime, Primeau picked up his 4th point of the night as he assisted on Simon Gagne's game winner and sent the series back to Tampa.

And, last but not least...

11. Carter Hart, game 4 vs MTL, 2020 1st round
Locked in the bubble with 7 other teams during the surreal 2020 pandemic playoffs, young Flyers goalie Carter Hart put on a show in game 4 vs the pesky Habs stopping 29 of 29 and leading the Flyers to a 2-0 win and a commanding 3-1 series lead. What makes this even more amazing is that it came on the heels of Hart's 1-0 shutout victory in game 3. Hart was tested more often in this game however and he became only the 3rd goalie in Flyers history, along with Bernie Parent and Michael Leighton (surprise) to put up back to back shutouts in the playoffs.

And there you have the honorable mentions. Coming up soon, well relatively soon, will be the final list of the top 10 (well actually 11, 2 tied for 10th) single playoff game performances in Flyers history, cheers!!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
This is more tragic than funny.
The Philadelphia Flyers since 2012: Beets, Beatdowns and a Beatoff named Dave

Chapter 1: 2012, the last time we had fun
Chapter 2: Pronger's head and Homer goes brain dead
Chapter 3: Hello Vinnie, bye-bye Lavi
Chapter 4: JVR for more Schenns and a turd named AMac
Chapter 5: Hextall, well at least he can draft
Chapter 6: The Hakstench arrives
Chapter 7: Chris Vandevelde, yeah that happened
Chapter 8: It's 2018 and Hak and AMac are still here, f*** off Hexy
Chapter 9: Hexy and Hak are shown the door: um, yay?
Chapter 10: Here's Mimsy!
Chapter 11: Chuck and Av, what could possibly go wrong?
Chapter 12: Answer: Kevin Hayes
Chapter 13: A kid named Hart and heartache in a bubble
Chapter 14: AV is really just French Hak

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Had the top 10 ninety percent done and my computer froze and lost it all. I'm too pissed off to do it all again, so with apologies, it will be posted tomorrow. I'm going to do it on a word doc and then copy and paste because this site is operated like 3rd world government.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Anyway, the first post in my look at best Flyers single game playoff performances of all time is a list of the just missed the cut honorable mentions. These 11 performances are listed in chronological order and not by any type of merit ranking. And away we go!!

I apologize if I missed any stipulations on how you chose these performances but come on, Ross Lonsberry, St. Croix and Esche make it but Andy Delmore’s playoff hatty doesn’t?
I would put Ken Wregget’s game 7 win against the Pens (39 stops on 40 shots) as much bigger performance than Esche and St. Croix.
Otherwise nice work.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I apologize if I missed any stipulations on how you chose these performances but come on, Ross Lonsberry, St. Croix and Esche make it but Andy Delmore’s playoff hatty doesn’t?
I would put Ken Wregget’s game 7 win against the Pens (39 stops on 40 shots) as much bigger performance than Esche and St. Croix.
Otherwise nice work.
FYI: these are the honorable mentions, the top 10, actually 11, are still to come

Last edited:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015

The Flyers went into this game with a 1-0 series lead after a convincing game one victory. Up til this point, no expansion team had ever defeated one of the original six in a playoff series. Lonsberry would assist on the only goal scored in the first period. The game remained tight after 2 periods with the Flyers clinging to a slim 2-1 lead. Roscoe then went on to take over the game in the 3rd, scoring 2 goals (one shorthanded) and adding another assist as the Flyers went on to win 5-2 and take a 2-0 series lead.

2. Bernie Parent, game 3 vs TOR, 1975 quarterfinals
Coming off another shutout in game 2, albeit one in which he wasn't tested much, Parent led the Flyers into Toronto with a 2-0 series lead. Bernie was spectacular in game 3, stopping all 31 Leaf shots. The Leafs outplayed the Flyers for much of the game, but Bernie was invincible that evening as the Flyers won 2-0 and took a commanding 3-0 lead in the series.

3. Bill Barber, game 2 vs QUE, 1981 preliminary round
In a wild 8-5 barn burner, Bill Barber was the best player on the ice. Barber scored twice in the first period, once on the pp and once at ES, and the Flyers never looked back. He went on to complete the hat trick with a shorty in the 2nd that restored the Flyers 2 goal lead and gave the team some breathing room. I was at that game, and Barber was, without a doubt, the best player on the ice that night.

4. Rick St. Croix, game 1 vs CAL, 1981 quarter finals
Let me guess, you weren't expecting to see St. Croix on this list? Well he earned his spot with a masterful shutout of the Flames in game one of this series. The journeyman goalie stopped 31 of 31 and was the best player on the ice in the Flyers 4-0 game one victory. We won't talk about how the series ended though.

5. Dave Poulin, game 7 vs NYI, 1987 division final
To understand the impact of this performance, the scene must be properly set. The Flyers had built a 3-1 lead in the series against the aging, but very experienced and still dangerous Islanders. However injuries were piling up and Poulin had been put on the sidelines with broken ribs. The Flyers lost games 5 and 6 and they seemed to be fading as the series went on. Game 7 at the spectrum would decide it. Prior to the game, one in which he wasn't expected to suit up, Poulin did what needed to be done. He lathered up his ribcage with the painkilling DMSO gel, had the trainer also give him novocaine shots and he then strapped on a flak jacket under his sweater and he hit the ice for warmups. When the Philly faithful saw their captain hit the ice, the building exploded and we knew the Isles were toast. Although Poulin could barely breath, let alone skate, without wincing in pain, he played a fantastic game. He picked up 2 key assists and was his usual dominant self on the PK as he led the Flyers to a convincing 5-1 victory and a berth in the conference final. It was one of the gutsiest performances in Flyers history.

6. Brian Propp, game 5 vs EDM, 1987 SCF
Propp outdid Gretzky as a playmaker in this game picking up 4 assists and leading the Flyers to a huge 4-3 upset victory in Edmonton. The Flyers trailed 2-0 and later 3-1 in this game, but Propp and the boys would not be denied and went on to send the series back to Philly for game 6.

7. John Leclair, game 1 vs NYR, 1995 second round
The Rags were the defending champions and though the Flyers were the much better team during the season, many pundits thought the Rangers would turn it on in the postseason and were picking them to upset Philly. Big John made sure that wasn't going to happen as he scored a hat trick in game one and helped the Flyers get the game to OT where Eric Desjardins would score and give the Flyers the all important game one victory.

8. Eric Lindros, game 3 vs NYR, 1997 conference final
The Flyers went into New York with the series tied at one and were facing a rabid (literally and figuratively) MSG crowd for game 3. The big E opened the scoring in the first and added 2 more in the 3rd to put the Rags away 6-3 and take a 2-1 series lead. However the hat trick only tells part of the story. Lindros was physically dominant and owned the game that night. If not for superlative goaltending by Mike Richter, number 88 might have scored 5 or 6 goals, he was that good.

9. Robert Esche, game 4 vs NJD, 2004 first round
Silent Bob came up big and helped give the Flyers a commanding 3-1 series lead against the hated shitbag Devils. Esche slammed the door shut on the Debs, stopping all 35 shots on his way to leading the Flyers to a 3-1 series lead.

10. Keith Primeau, game 6 vs TB, 2004 conference final
This was the best performance of Primeau's amazing run during the 2004 playoffs. Down 3-2 in the series and with half of the starting D corps out with injuries, Primeau put the Flyers on his back and led the team to a 5-4 OT victory. Primeau set the tone with some huge hits and a goal and assist in the first period. Then with the Flyers down 4-3 with less than 2 minutes to go in the game, Primeau dug deep and did it again scoring the game tying goal and allowing the Flyers to get to OT. Finally, late in overtime, Primeau picked up his 4th point of the night as he assisted on Simon Gagne's game winner and sent the series back to Tampa.

And, last but not least...

11. Carter Hart, game 4 vs MTL, 2020 1st round
Locked in the bubble with 7 other teams during the surreal 2020 pandemic playoffs, young Flyers goalie Carter Hart put on a show in game 4 vs the pesky Habs stopping 29 of 29 and leading the Flyers to a 2-0 win and a commanding 3-1 series lead. What makes this even more amazing is that it came on the heels of Hart's 1-0 shutout victory in game 3. Hart was tested more often in this game however and he became only the 3rd goalie in Flyers history, along with Bernie Parent and Michael Leighton (surprise) to put up back to back shutouts in the playoffs.

And there you have the honorable mentions. Coming up soon, well relatively soon, will be the final list of the top 10 (well actually 11, 2 tied for 10th) single playoff game performances in Flyers history, cheers!!
So glad you included LeClair... he even had a goal wrongfully called back in that game and still got the hat trick. He was just really up on his skates that day. That full game is on YouTube and is a 90s hockey masterpiece for those who didn’t experience it firsthand.

Reactions: BiggE

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Re: 1. Ross Lonsberry, game 2 vs NYR, 1974 Semifinals
Interesting choice. As time advances, the importance of the 1974 Series against the Rangers probably gets lost in the generations. The O6 vs. Next 6 was akin to the big brother-little brother, student-teacher or whatever other comparison. It is why the Game 7 win vs. NYR should always rank high on lists of important victories and I have no problem escalating it above the win vs. the Soviets even though many think otherwise due to the significance for the League. Sure, but the Game 7 win in 1974 was important to the Flyers. And the Flyers come first.

There are so many in which the choose, I am not sure how I would list a top ten but the Poulin Game 7, 1987 vs. NYI would probably make my cut. It was everything you said in the highlight but also to remember he missed the prior six games of the Islanders series and all but one game against Montreal and was held scoreless against Edmonton in all seven games - yet he managed to do this phenomenal achievement in Game 7. It was our Willis Reed moment.

All said, another excellent edition by you.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
@BiggE 9.
"Robert Esche, game 4 vs NJD, 2004 first round
Silent Bob came up big and helped give the Flyers a commanding 3-1 series lead against the <hated shitbag Devils>. Esche slammed the door shut on the Debs, stopping all 35 shots on his way to leading the Flyers to a 3-1 series lead."

No need to be double redundant there... :laugh:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Re: 1. Ross Lonsberry, game 2 vs NYR, 1974 Semifinals
Interesting choice. As time advances, the importance of the 1974 Series against the Rangers probably gets lost in the generations. The O6 vs. Next 6 was akin to the big brother-little brother, student-teacher or whatever other comparison. It is why the Game 7 win vs. NYR should always rank high on lists of important victories and I have no problem escalating it above the win vs. the Soviets even though many think otherwise due to the significance for the League. Sure, but the Game 7 win in 1974 was important to the Flyers. And the Flyers come first.

There are so many in which the choose, I am not sure how I would list a top ten but the Poulin Game 7, 1987 vs. NYI would probably make my cut. It was everything you said in the highlight but also to remember he missed the prior six games of the Islanders series and all but one game against Montreal and was held scoreless against Edmonton in all seven games - yet he managed to do this phenomenal achievement in Game 7. It was our Willis Reed moment.

All said, another excellent edition by you.
Thanks buddy, I’ll post the top 11 tomorrow

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
And finally,
THE TOP 10 (well really 11) SINGLE GAME PLAYOFF PERFORMANCES IN FLYERS HISTORY!

The reason there is 11 is because I just couldn’t leave either of the last 2 off of the list and hell, it’s my damn list! Besides the obvious criteria of the players actual performance, some credence was given to the importance of the game and how deep into the playoff run it occurred.
And away we go!

10a. Ron Hextall vs NYR, game 6, 1987 first round
Hextall was brilliant in this game and it gave us all the added bonus of watching Phil Esposito shut his fat mouth. Winning it in the stinking cesspool that is MSG, where one of the mouth breathing lowlifes had the sickening audacity to hold up a sign that read “Buy a Porsche, Hextall” made it all the much sweeter. Hextall was flawless this night as he stopped all 34 shots and shut the traps of all of the doubters.

10b. Bernie Parent vs BOS, game 6, 1974 SCF
The biggest win in Flyers history came primarily on the back of the greatest goaltender in Flyers history. Bernie was unbeatable that afternoon stopping all 30 Bruins shots, including 16 in a first period in which the Flyers were badly outplayed. The most memorable save though came about 2/3 through the 3rd period when Bernie flat out robbed Ken Hodge. I will never forget this day. They truly have walked together forever.

9. Michal Neuvirth vs WAS, game 5, 2016 1st round
Neuvirth, as much as any Flyer ever, singlehandedly won this game for the badly outmanned and outgunned Flyers. In a game in which the Flyers were outshot, and this is not a misprint, 44-11, Neuvirth was absolutely flawless and spectacular, and he was the sole reason that the Flyers escaped with a 2-0 victory.

8. Ken Wregget vs PIT, game 7, 1989 Division final
What really makes this amazing is that other than 28 minutes of mop up duty earlier in the series, Wregget had not played a game since late in the regular season. But with starter Ron Hextall out with an injury, all Wregget did was come in cold and shut down Mario Lemieux (who had been owning the series) and the rest of the Pens stopping 39 of 40 shots. It was the game of Wregget’s life.

7. Claude Giroux vs PIT, game 2, 2012 first round
Yeah it was crazy and wide open, but holy crap, 3 goals and 6 points are 3 goals and 6 points! Giroux picked up an assist on the only Flyers goal in the first period as the Pens got the better of the play and went into the break up 3-1. But then came the Claude Giroux show. G scored twice in the 2nd period and then went on to put up another goal and 2 assists in the 3rd as the Flyers outscored the Pens 7-2 over the final 40 minutes and took a huge 2-0 series lead.

6. Bernie Parent vs STL, game 6, 1968 quarter final
Although Bernie’s best seasons would come a few years later in the mid 70s, this was perhaps his greatest game. The undersized but scrappy Flyers went into this game trailing 3-2 in the series to the much more physical and much more experienced Blues. Parent was the difference though stopping 63 of 64 St. Louis shots and getting the team into the 2nd overtime period where winger Don Blackburn would score and send the series back to Philly for game 7. While I was only 2 at the time and have no memory of the game, more than one older fan has told me that it was the greatest goaltending performance that they ever saw.

5. Bobby Clarke vs BOS, game 2, 1974 SCF
To me, this game, along with game 7 that same spring vs the Rags are right up there with the 2 Cup clinching victories for most important wins in Flyers history. While the Flyers certainly went into this series with confidence after dispatching the Rangers, the Bruins were a different animal. First off, they had Bobby Orr who was far and away the best player in the world at that time and the Flyers also hadn’t won a game in Boston since their inaugural season of 1967-68. But the Bruins had home ice, and if the Cup was going to come to Philly, the Flyers needed to win a game in southie hell. After losing a close one in game one, the Flyers knew that winning game 2 was vital as going down 2-0 in this series simply was not an option. So Bobby Clarke did what he needed to do. First with the Flyers trailing 2-0 early in the 2nd, he cut the lead in half with a goal from “Cowboy” Bill Flett and Dave “The Hammer” Schultz. Then with the clock running out and the Flyers still down a goal in the 3rd, he assisted on Andre “Moose” Dupont’s game tying tally with 52 seconds left on the clock. Finally, Clarke scored an epic overtime goal that set the stage for the Flyers to go on and win their first Stanley Cup.

4. Brian Boucher vs PIT, game 4, 2000 2nd round
Five overtimes, 152 minutes, Lemieux and Jagr, 58 shots against, 57 saves and a perfect 39 for 39 in OT. Oh, and did I mention that Boosh was a friggin rookie?? Those of us who watched that game know how special his performance was. I have never seen anything like it and I may well never see anything like it again. It was both spectacular and surreal. There is nothing else that needs to be said.

3. Bill Barber vs MIN, game 3, 1980 semifinal
Bill Barber had perhaps his best game as a Flyer on this night in Minnesota as his 4 goal performance led the team to victory and to a 2-1 lead in the series. After 2 periods, Barber already had a hatty with 2 ES goal along with a pp tally. However the North Stars scored back to back goals in the 2nd period cutting the Flyers lead to 4-3 going into the 3rd period and the Minneapolis crowd was rocking. With only 4:30 left in the game, Ken Linseman took an interference penalty and the crowd smelled blood. Too bad the blood was North Star green as Barber shut the building up by scoring his 4th of the night shorthanded to put the game away. Even more amazing was that Barber went on to score 2 more goals in game 4 and then in the final game, he put up another 2 goals and an assist. All in all Barber finished the series by putting up 9 goals and 12 points over the final 4 games of the series, all Philly victories, but none stand out like game 3.

2. Tim Kerr vs NYR, game 3, 1985 first round
The Flyers went into the postseason in 1985 on a nine game playoff losing streak and had not won a round since the 1981 prelim vs QUE. The tight as a drum, and oh so young Flyers squeaked out an OT victory in game one with Mark Howe getting the game winner and then went on to play a much more complete game in winning game 2 by a 3-1 score. However, the monkey would still be firmly on their backs until they could win the series and that brings us to game 3 in New York City. The Rags got the first 2 goals in the first before a Peter Zezel pp goal sent the club into the intermission only down 1. After a Doug Crossman goal tied the game early in the 2nd, a pp goal by Willie Huber restored the Rangers one goal lead. It was now time for the Tim Kerr show. Kerr had scored a goal in game one, but up until this point, the Rags had done a pretty good job of slowing the big guy down. But not on this day. Kerr scored a natural hat trick plus one as he scored an unbelievable 4 consecutive goals (3pp, 1es) in only 8:16 of actual game time. I believe, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, that this is the fastest 4 goals ever scored by an NHL player in a playoff game. To this day, I sometimes have to go back and re-watch the game to believe that it actually happened. It was utterly stupendous!

And at number 1…..

1. Reggie Leach vs BOS, game 5, 1976 semi final
To understand just how incredible this performance was, we have to travel back to a few hours earlier that day when a couple of Reggie’s teammates came to his house to pick him up for the game. Imagine their shock when they found that (depending on who’s story is accurate) that Leach was either still shitfaced drunk or severely hung over from the night before. When Fred Shero got a look at Leach prior to warm-ups, he was furious and wanted to scratch the Rifle, but Bobby Clarke talked him out of it and assured the coach that his former Flin Flon Bombers teammate could play. Thank God the Fog listened to his captain! Leach would open the scoring in the first and then, with the game tied, he would score a natural hat trick in the second giving the Flyers a 4-1 lead. Finally, after the Bruins Don Marcotte cut the lead to 4-2 early in the 3rd, Leach would score his amazing 5th goal and put the game away. One other note, all five of Leach’s goals were scored at even strength. In fact of the 80 combined regular season and playoff goals that Reggie scored that season an unheard of 68 came at even strength!

And there you have it, the best all time single playoff performances in Flyers playoff history. Boys, this one was a bitch and narrowing this list down was not easy. I hope you enjoyed the read and, as always, your comments are both welcome and appreciated!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
And finally,
THE TOP 10 (well really 11) SINGLE GAME PLAYOFF PERFORMANCES IN FLYERS HISTORY!

The reason there is 11 is because I just couldn’t leave either of the last 2 off of the list and hell, it’s my damn list! Besides the obvious criteria of the players actual performance, some credence was given to the importance of the game and how deep into the playoff run it occurred.
And away we go!

10a. Ron Hextall vs NYR, game 6, 1987 first round
Hextall was brilliant in this game and it gave us all the added bonus of watching Phil Esposito shut his fat mouth. Winning it in the stinking cesspool that is MSG, where one of the mouth breathing lowlifes had the sickening audacity to hold up a sign that read “Buy a Porsche, Hextall” made it all the much sweeter. Hextall was flawless this night as he stopped all 34 shots and shut the traps of all of the doubters.

10b. Bernie Parent vs BOS, game 6, 1974 SCF
The biggest win in Flyers history came primarily on the back of the greatest goaltender in Flyers history. Bernie was unbeatable that afternoon stopping all 30 Bruins shots, including 16 in a first period in which the Flyers were badly outplayed. The most memorable save though came about 2/3 through the 3rd period when Bernie flat out robbed Ken Hodge. I will never forget this day. They truly have walked together forever.

9. Michal Neuvirth vs WAS, game 5, 2016 1st round
Neuvirth, as much as any Flyer ever, singlehandedly won this game for the badly outmanned and outgunned Flyers. In a game in which the Flyers were outshot, and this is not a misprint, 44-11, Neuvirth was absolutely flawless and spectacular, and he was the sole reason that the Flyers escaped with a 2-0 victory.

8. Ken Wregget vs PIT, game 7, 1989 Division final
What really makes this amazing is that other than 28 minutes of mop up duty earlier in the series, Wregget had not played a game since late in the regular season. But with starter Ron Hextall out with an injury, all Wregget did was come in cold and shut down Mario Lemieux (who had been owning the series) and the rest of the Pens stopping 39 of 40 shots. It was the game of Wregget’s life.

7. Claude Giroux vs PIT, game 2, 2012 first round
Yeah it was crazy and wide open, but holy crap, 3 goals and 6 points are 3 goals and 6 points! Giroux picked up an assist on the only Flyers goal in the first period as the Pens got the better of the play and went into the break up 3-1. But then came the Claude Giroux show. G scored twice in the 2nd period and then went on to put up another goal and 2 assists in the 3rd as the Flyers outscored the Pens 7-2 over the final 40 minutes and took a huge 2-0 series lead.

6. Bernie Parent vs STL, game 6, 1968 quarter final
Although Bernie’s best seasons would come a few years later in the mid 70s, this was perhaps his greatest game. The undersized but scrappy Flyers went into this game trailing 3-2 in the series to the much more physical and much more experienced Blues. Parent was the difference though stopping 63 of 64 St. Louis shots and getting the team into the 2nd overtime period where winger Don Blackburn would score and send the series back to Philly for game 7. While I was only 2 at the time and have no memory of the game, more than one older fan has told me that it was the greatest goaltending performance that they ever saw.

5. Bobby Clarke vs BOS, game 2, 1974 SCF
To me, this game, along with game 7 that same spring vs the Rags are right up there with the 2 Cup clinching victories for most important wins in Flyers history. While the Flyers certainly went into this series with confidence after dispatching the Rangers, the Bruins were a different animal. First off, they had Bobby Orr who was far and away the best player in the world at that time and the Flyers also hadn’t won a game in Boston since their inaugural season of 1967-68. But the Bruins had home ice, and if the Cup was going to come to Philly, the Flyers needed to win a game in southie hell. After losing a close one in game one, the Flyers knew that winning game 2 was vital as going down 2-0 in this series simply was not an option. So Bobby Clarke did what he needed to do. First with the Flyers trailing 2-0 early in the 2nd, he cut the lead in half with a goal from “Cowboy” Bill Flett and Dave “The Hammer” Schultz. Then with the clock running out and the Flyers still down a goal in the 3rd, he assisted on Andre “Moose” Dupont’s game tying tally with 52 seconds left on the clock. Finally, Clarke scored an epic overtime goal that set the stage for the Flyers to go on and win their first Stanley Cup.

4. Brian Boucher vs PIT, game 4, 2000 2nd round
Five overtimes, 152 minutes, Lemieux and Jagr, 58 shots against, 57 saves and a perfect 39 for 39 in OT. Oh, and did I mention that Boosh was a friggin rookie?? Those of us who watched that game know how special his performance was. I have never seen anything like it and I may well never see anything like it again. It was both spectacular and surreal. There is nothing else that needs to be said.

3. Bill Barber vs MIN, game 3, 1980 semifinal
Bill Barber had perhaps his best game as a Flyer on this night in Minnesota as his 4 goal performance led the team to victory and to a 2-1 lead in the series. After 2 periods, Barber already had a hatty with 2 ES goal along with a pp tally. However the North Stars scored back to back goals in the 2nd period cutting the Flyers lead to 4-3 going into the 3rd period and the Minneapolis crowd was rocking. With only 4:30 left in the game, Ken Linseman took an interference penalty and the crowd smelled blood. Too bad the blood was North Star green as Barber shut the building up by scoring his 4th of the night shorthanded to put the game away. Even more amazing was that Barber went on to score 2 more goals in game 4 and then in the final game, he put up another 2 goals and an assist. All in all Barber finished the series by putting up 9 goals and 12 points over the final 4 games of the series, all Philly victories, but none stand out like game 3.

2. Tim Kerr vs NYR, game 3, 1985 first round
The Flyers went into the postseason in 1985 on a nine game playoff losing streak and had not won a round since the 1981 prelim vs QUE. The tight as a drum, and oh so young Flyers squeaked out an OT victory in game one with Mark Howe getting the game winner and then went on to play a much more complete game in winning game 2 by a 3-1 score. However, the monkey would still be firmly on their backs until they could win the series and that brings us to game 3 in New York City. The Rags got the first 2 goals in the first before a Peter Zezel pp goal sent the club into the intermission only down 1. After a Doug Crossman goal tied the game early in the 2nd, a pp goal by Willie Huber restored the Rangers one goal lead. It was now time for the Tim Kerr show. Kerr had scored a goal in game one, but up until this point, the Rags had done a pretty good job of slowing the big guy down. But not on this day. Kerr scored a natural hat trick plus one as he scored an unbelievable 4 consecutive goals (3pp, 1es) in only 8:16 of actual game time. I believe, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, that this is the fastest 4 goals ever scored by an NHL player in a playoff game. To this day, I sometimes have to go back and re-watch the game to believe that it actually happened. It was utterly stupendous!

And at number 1…..

1. Reggie Leach vs BOS, game 5, 1976 semi final
To understand just how incredible this performance was, we have to travel back to a few hours earlier that day when a couple of Reggie’s teammates came to his house to pick him up for the game. Imagine their shock when they found that (depending on who’s story is accurate) that Leach was either still shitfaced drunk or severely hung over from the night before. When Fred Shero got a look at Leach prior to warm-ups, he was furious and wanted to scratch the Rifle, but Bobby Clarke talked him out of it and assured the coach that his former Flin Flon Bombers teammate could play. Thank God the Fog listened to his captain! Leach would open the scoring in the first and then, with the game tied, he would score a natural hat trick in the second giving the Flyers a 4-1 lead. Finally, after the Bruins Don Marcotte cut the lead to 4-2 early in the 3rd, Leach would score his amazing 5th goal and put the game away. One other note, all five of Leach’s goals were scored at even strength. In fact of the 80 combined regular season and playoff goals that Reggie scored that season an unheard of 68 came at even strength!

And there you have it, the best all time single playoff performances in Flyers playoff history. Boys, this one was a bitch and narrowing this list down was not easy. I hope you enjoyed the read and, as always, your comments are both welcome and appreciated!

Splendid job and there is no right or wrong. We can debate such lists but we all have different memories. John LeClair (injured prior), 1996, getting off a plane while the Flyers were already in Tampa Bay and down 2-1 in games. then scoring the first goal adding a goal later.

Wayne Stephenson and what he did in Game 2 1976 against Boston when Bernie Parent (prior injuries) was so out of shape that he said to Fred Shero "bench me" in so many words and in came Wayne Stephenson who hadn't played in a few weeks and beat the Bruins in OT in a tremendous job with all the pressure in the world. Flyers won four straight again Boston with Stephenson.

Rick MacLeish against TOR in 1977 scoring in the last minute of regulation and then a quick OT goal to win. MacLeish was so cool.

There are others but it is more so what we tend to remember than actual listings. You did an exemplary job again and I will re-read later.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Splendid job and there is no right or wrong. We can debate such lists but we all have different memories. John LeClair (injured prior), 1996, getting off a plane while the Flyers were already in Tampa Bay and down 2-1 in games. then scoring the first goal adding a goal later.

Wayne Stephenson and what he did in Game 2 1976 against Boston when Bernie Parent was so out of shape from injury that he said to Fred Shero "bench me" [after Game 1] in so many words and in came Wayne Stephenson who hadn't played in a few weeks and beat the Bruins in OT in a tremendous job with all the pressure in the world. Flyers won four straight again Boston with Stephenson.

There are others but it is more so what we tend to remember than actual listings. You did an exemplary job again and I will re-read later.
Thank you sir!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad