Flyers' History: Top 10s in Flyers history and other recollections

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
"I want this more than you do," - Keith Jones while choking Dominik Hasek.

"The Neilson situation - Roger got cancer - that wasn't out fault. We didn't tell him to go get cancer. It's too bad that he did. We feel sorry for him, but then he went goofy on us." - Bob Clarke

Reactions: BiggE

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ Good job again and additional contributions. When I suggested the topic, the quotes by Shero, Dupont, Hextall and Van Impe were probably 1-2-3-4 on my list. Clarke's quote about Neilson, the latter who said he chuckled at the "goofy"part since the two were close friends and continued towards the end, was another that was significant.

When Barry Ashbee was literally on his death bed in 1977, the Flyers had an uninspired game in the playoffs. Understandable since a teammate and now coach was about to die. Bobby Clarke simply apologized to Ed Snider. The owner's response?

"Barry would have never wanted that, and you have no right to use Barry’s illness as a reason for not playing good. If anything, you had the chance to compete that Barry never did. You should have competed harder!"
Clarke said it was a life lesson.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
@BiggE

Another mission should you choose to accept: top ten signs at the home rinks. Either by Dave Leonardi (Sign man) or in the arena.

My favorite will remain from the 1976 game against the Soviets when they threatened to quit:

His signs about Sinisalo and Kerr were timely. Keith the Thief in the upper level.

signman_older.jpg

Bernie-Parent-bumber-sticker-077560520.jpg

40ac4f90fe614d059eec4ac7880f0921.jpg

At NYI: This was a game Schultz and various fans debated life's issues in the penalty box...

dave-schultz-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-skates-in-front-of-his-bench-picture-id91116332

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
@BiggE

Another mission should you choose to accept: top ten signs at the home rinks. Either by Dave Leonardi (Sign man) or in the arena.

My favorite will remain from the 1976 game against the Soviets when they threatened to quit:

His signs about Sinisalo and Kerr were timely. Keith the Thief in the upper level.

signman_older.jpg

Bernie-Parent-bumber-sticker-077560520.jpg

40ac4f90fe614d059eec4ac7880f0921.jpg

At NYI: This was a game Schultz and various fans debated life's issues in the penalty box...

dave-schultz-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-skates-in-front-of-his-bench-picture-id91116332
You really like making me work, eh? Sure, why not? But since I’m lousy with technology/posting pictures, it will just be a write up version.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
So, I've decided to expand on MSE's fine sign related suggestion and so, without any further ado, here are my 10, though in no particular order, favorite non on ice Flyers memories. Most of these are from the Spectrum, yeah, I know, what a surprise!

1. THE SIGNS
Dave "Sign Man" Leonardi always kept us folks in section K entertained. Some of my faves were
TELL IT TO THE CZAR- from the 1976 game vs the Soviet Red Army team
ILKKA SCORRA GOALLA!
CAN YOUR EYE DOG SKATE?- worked on all officials, but it was always trotted out when Stickle was working the lines!
START THE BUS!
NEXT GOALIE!

2. WHISTLING
Long drawn out whistling was always heard anytime Ron Duguay and later, Jaromir Jagr were on the ice.

3. Fred the Vendor
Fred had some iron lungs, and whether he was selling peanuts, beer or popcorn, you could hear him throughout the building.

4. Being able to walk right in front of the press box and engage, and more importantly, tease the beat writers and visiting writers. This was always a must any time Stan Fischler was in town.

5. The Spectrum was an amazing place to see a game and I will always miss the old girl. Between Flyers games and concerts, I estimate that I was in that barn nearly 1000 times. But walking into the new stadium in 1996 for the USA vs Canada World Cup game is a memory that I will always cherish. The wide concourses, huge screens and just the newness of it all, blew me away!

6. Pelle Lindbergh's pregame memorial service in 1986. I still get choked up just thinking about it and yes, I still have my ticket stub with his picture on it. In a great gesture, instead of tearing the ticket which was the normal procedure back then, the ushers just marked them with a little "X" in the corner so that we could all have that last ticket with Pelle on it as a souvenir.

7. THE CHANT
Not the bastardized version that we get today, but the original chant that the organist would accompany: LETS GO FLYERS! CLAP....CLAP....CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!!

8. Being there to watch both Bernie Parent's and Bobby Clarke's numbers be raised to the rafters.

9. Back in the mid 70s, my dad and his partners went to all the playoff games and the season openers so I didn't get to see this live, but having Kate Smith there in person to sing "God Bless America" has to be on the list and I do remember seeing it on TV prior to game 7 vs the Isles in 75.

10. The clouds of smoke that would slowly drift in from the concourse during intermission. Yes kids, back in the dark ages you could actually smoke indoors, just not in the seating area. Everyone used to light up in the concourse between periods! Of course, that was nothing compared to the cloud of smoke in the building when the lights came on after a Grateful Dead show in the 80s!

OK, Your turn!!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
So, I've decided to expand on MSE's fine sign related suggestion and so, without any further ado, here are my 10, though in no particular order, favorite non on ice Flyers memories. Most of these are from the Spectrum, yeah, I know, what a surprise!

1. THE SIGNS
Dave "Sign Man" Leonardi always kept us folks in section K entertained. Some of my faves were
TELL IT TO THE CZAR- from the 1976 game vs the Soviet Red Army team
ILKKA SCORRA GOALLA!
CAN YOUR EYE DOG SKATE?- worked on all officials, but it was always trotted out when Stickle was working the lines!
START THE BUS!
NEXT GOALIE!

2. WHISTLING
Long drawn out whistling was always heard anytime Ron Duguay and later, Jaromir Jagr were on the ice.

3. Fred the Vendor
Fred had some iron lungs, and whether he was selling peanuts, beer or popcorn, you could hear him throughout the building.

4. Being able to walk right in front of the press box and engage, and more importantly, tease the beat writers and visiting writers. This was always a must any time Stan Fischler was in town.

5. The Spectrum was an amazing place to see a game and I will always miss the old girl. Between Flyers games and concerts, I estimate that I was in that barn nearly 1000 times. But walking into the new stadium in 1996 for the USA vs Canada World Cup game is a memory that I will always cherish. The wide concourses, huge screens and just the newness of it all, blew me away!

6. Pelle Lindbergh's pregame memorial service in 1986. I still get choked up just thinking about it and yes, I still have my ticket stub with his picture on it. In a great gesture, instead of tearing the ticket which was the normal procedure back then, the ushers just marked them with a little "X" in the corner so that we could all have that last ticket with Pelle on it as a souvenir.

7. THE CHANT
Not the bastardized version that we get today, but the original chant that the organist would accompany: LETS GO FLYERS! CLAP....CLAP....CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!!

8. Being there to watch both Bernie Parent's and Bobby Clarke's numbers be raised to the rafters.

9. Back in the mid 70s, my dad and his partners went to all the playoff games and the season openers so I didn't get to see this live, but having Kate Smith there in person to sing "God Bless America" has to be on the list and I do remember seeing it on TV prior to game 7 vs the Isles in 75.

10. The clouds of smoke that would slowly drift in from the concourse during intermission. Yes kids, back in the dark ages you could actually smoke indoors, just not in the seating area. Everyone used to light up in the concourse between periods! Of course, that was nothing compared to the cloud of smoke in the building when the lights came on after a Grateful Dead show in the 80s!

OK, Your turn!!

"Plead In-Sanity." Bob Myers. My second least favorite NHL referee.

Last edited:

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
"Plead In-Sanity." Bob Myers. My second least favorite NHL referee.

Kevin Collins - hated him. Always tried to break up fights before they could get going. Second only to Stickle for me. Always liked Bruce Hood for some reason.

I liked Sign Man's "Snap, Crackle, Propp" sign when Brian Propp would score (and guffaw).

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Kevin Collins - hated him. Always tried to break up fights before they could get going. Second only to Stickle for me. Always liked Bruce Hood for some reason.

I liked Sign Man's "Snap, Crackle, Propp" sign when Brian Propp would score (and guffaw).

Oddly, he is #1 on my dislike list. He had an agenda. When he ran for provincial office in Canada in his post-officiating days, he likened his opponent to the Flyers. And that wasn't the only time. He hated our team.

His career ended in controversy with two episodes in the 1984 playoffs (none involving the Flyers). One was in the Montreal-Quebec Good Friday Brawl. Indications included that he was forced to retire.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Oddly, he is #1 on my dislike list. He had an agenda. When he ran for provincial office in Canada in his post-officiating days, he likened his opponent to the Flyers. And that wasn't the only time. He hated our team.

His career ended in controversy with two episodes in the 1984 playoffs (none involving the Flyers). One was in the Montreal-Quebec Good Friday Brawl. Indications included that he was forced to retire.
Couldn’t stand Hood. Back in the 70s the only ref I remember giving the Flyers a fair shake was Art Skov

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Couldn’t stand Hood. Back in the 70s the only ref I remember giving the Flyers a fair shake was Art Skov

I think it was Wally Harris who in a 1-1 tie with about five minutes left against the Islanders -- shock -- gave Bob Hoffmeyer a penalty for something he (Harris) never saw. As the story goes, Harris told multiple Islanders' players he couldn't call what he didn't see. Eventually the Islanders convinced linesman Ron Asselstine to talk to Harris. Who knew what was said. But if you guessed Harris issued a 2-minute minor, you'd be wrong. It was a 5-minute major and 2 PPGs in the last couple of minutes. This was in the early 80s.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Speaking of great quotes, my dad said today after seeing a Bryz #30 jersey that the one #30 he remembers is Bobby Taylor, Parent's backup. He'd get like 5 starts a season.

One time the Flyers were slated for National TV which was a big deal for hockey in the 70s as teams hardly would be televised nationwide. Well wouldn't you know Shero trolled the hockey world and had Parent on the bench for the game, and when the media said "wtf you're supposed to put a show on for national TV why didn't you start Parent?!" he said "Well it was Bobby's turn" lol

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
My old age must be getting to me. I was confusing Bruce Hood with Wally Harris. Harris had a great 'stache. All referees have had a bad dance with the Flyers, especially in the 1970s, with maybe Skov being the exception. If I recall correctly, Skov was the referee for the Flyers' first Cup win.

Reactions: BiggE

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Claude Giroux told teammate Daniel Briere to “watch this shift.” The Philadelphia Flyers had lost two straight to the Pittsburgh Penguins going into Game 6 of the 2012 playoff series when Giroux stepped in to take the opening faceoff and six seconds later steam-rolled Sidney Crosby with an open-ice hit. One more faceoff and 26 […]

Oh God I forgot he called his shot.

Reactions: BiggE and Jtown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad