Sportsnet: Top 100 NHL Players - 5 Leafs

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Man oh man that's a confusing list. Some really questionable rankings on there.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Some questionable choices, but there are also guys near the bottom of that list that I have no problem putting at the same level as a Nylander or Kadri right now.

Reactions: Budsfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
How many Dmen got over 50 pts last season? How can Jake not be in the top 100? As for Willie and Kadri, they might not be top 100 but if Marner is rank at 54, those two should be on the list.

Scoring points should not be a measure of competence. There might be 33 Dmen on the list. Should Gardiner be on the list? Maybe, but don't use the scoring points as the measuring stick.

Reactions: dsred

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Some questionable choices, but there are also guys near the bottom of that list that I have no problem putting at the same level as a Nylander or Kadri right now.

We have to see what Kadri and Nylander do this year and although both these Leafs are decent players the consistency wasn't there last year and this year will be different and if they prove themselves this season maybe they will make the top 100 next year?

Time will tell!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Scoring points should not be a measure of competence. There might be 33 Dmen on the list. Should Gardiner be on the list? Maybe, but don't use the scoring points as the measuring stick.
I see your point but you can’t ignore the fact that Jake got over 50pts as a Dman. That’s not easy to do in the NHL.

Reactions: Garthinater

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews will be top 10 in next year's list.

Matthews has potential to be the second best player in the entire NHL and maybe # 1 in some seasons.

If Matthews turns into a 50 goal, selke winner; there is literately no player on the planet like him

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
The reason Matthews was in the teens is because sportsnet didnt want to hear the whining. Matthews is a top five center ainec, he dominates five on five. Tavares is also a top 10 player.

If sportsnet put nylander,kadri and gards in there edmton/wpg fans would rage in comment sections.well wpg fans are going to about Laine even thos Schief and esp wheeler where rated way to high

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
smacks of being too scared of adding more leafs to their list, for the backlash fdrom all the other fans. Marner isn't 10 spots better than nylander let alone 50 what a joke

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The difference between Marner and Nylander isn’t 45 players.
Maybe/maybe not. As for the list, there are a lot of players in the league.

IMO, Kadri would be listed ahead of Nylander after Marner(barely ahead though)

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
From a statistical standpoint over the last two years, there are few players in the whole league grouped as close together as Marner and Nylander.
I find Nylander I highly underrated player. I've been watching last season's "Game in Six" videos and Nylander has an incredible shot. I would put it near the level of Matthews.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I find Nylander I highly underrated player. I've been watching last season's "Game in Six" videos and Nylander has an incredible shot. I would put it near the level of Matthews.

problem is while his shot is very good Nylander tries to be too accurate with it where as Matthews can be super accurate he also knows sometimes throw a hard shot on net with an elite shot has a great chance to go in

edit: 100% agree he is underrated, people talking like marner is closer to Matthews than nylander shows that. A player who is tiers above another player scores more than 8 points than the other

Reactions: Nithoniniel

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Top 100 NHL players of 2018–19: 100–51 - Sportsnet.ca

Leafs have 5 in the top 100,

85. Morgan Rielly
67. Fred Andersen
54. Mitch Marner
16. Austin Matthews
12. John Tavares

Seems about right.
31 teams in the league we have 5 in top 100, WAY above average and we're still outraged here? Great days when we have two more just outside top 100, great days indeed. I put Kadri ahead of Nylander, he's scored more and he's a center with tremendous responsibility.

I just get giddy about this team.

Reactions: shortfuze

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
problem is while his shot is very good Nylander tries to be too accurate with it where as Matthews can be super accurate he also knows sometimes throw a hard shot on net with an elite shot has a great chance to go in

edit: 100% agree he is underrated, people talking like marner is closer to Matthews than nylander shows that. A player who is tiers above another player scores more than 8 points than the other

however I also think we need another season or two before we decide what they all typically score. 2 seasons isn't a big enough sample.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
however I also think we need another season or two before we decide what they all typically score. 2 seasons isn't a big enough sample.
Nope, especially when two of them play together.
IMO, people underrate Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad