Sportsnet: Top 100 NHL Players - 5 Leafs

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Not really a good comparable when comparing a big strong sniper to a small highly skilled winger, as one is a goal scorer and the other a playmaker.

Marner would be easier to compare to similar style/size/positional players ie. Kane, Gaudreau, Panarin etc.

The only way to compare Laine and Marner is NHL points otherwise, as they drastically impact the game differently. IMO

With JT as his centre a franchise elite player, Marner's points should rise significantly as a result.. So statistically I'd be surprised if Marner > Laine pointswise next year even if Patrik scores 50 goals. But that is not really what this thread is about and their player rankings intention. IMO
Ya sorry. That’s what I was comparing. In the end I think they will be similar points wise in there career and both have big impacts for their team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ya sorry. That’s what I was comparing. In the end I think they will be similar points wise in there career and both have big impacts for their team.

Points-wise a strong case for similar could be easily made, so I agree in that aspect.

Prediction 2018-19

Laine : 50 goals - 35 assists = 85 points
vs
Marner : 25 goals - 60 assists = 85 points

Same points, both impacting their teams significantly as a result, but an elite 50+ goal scorer will always be viewed as impacting the game and his team more based on type of player and goals > assists. IMO

Simply strip away the names (to remove any bias) and ask who would you rather have on your team a 50 goal scorer & 85 point player or and 85 point player? .. That is what I was comparing.

Same rules apply here ex. OV (49 goals 87 points & 1.06 PPG) and Gaudreau (24 goals & 84 points & 1.05 PPG) record similar points (which they essentially do) are they viewed as equals in terms of impact and level of NHL player?

OV viewed as Top 10 player (ranked 8th on list) and Gaudreau (with similar points) (ranked #33) and not even seen as top 20-25 player.

On a ranking list like this one I wouldn't be surprised to see a gap between a goal scorer and playmaker with points being similar.

So a Johnny Hockey vs a future potential Marner might be a fairer comparison on a ranking list like this, once their points become similar. IMO

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad