Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'll be damned surprised if Flower isn't a nominee next round. I think he should be. Won't break my heart if he isn't... but I would be surprised if he isn't.
He's on the cusp, but if I had my wish we'd get at least another C to compare to Messier with Espo being the best bet, though I have Bobby Clarke ahead as well. I think a 50's defenceman is due as well as another O6 Goalie to compare with Plante.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Esposito
Hall or Sawchuk
Nighbour
Kelly
Lafleur

That would probably make everyone happy right?

I'm not ranking any of these guys next round EXCEPT Kelly, so hopefully there's like 14 players for voting next round so I have 4 spots of "Non-Ranked" to distribute.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I could easily get behind that Lafleur is the best Hab ever. I'd probably have to consider it a bit closer before saying for sure, but gun to my head he might be my first choice.

Doesn't mean he ranks highest here. He's weak outside of peak. I'd be happy to see him come up soon tho.
I really want to see Esposito most of all i think.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm not ranking any of these guys next round EXCEPT Kelly, so hopefully there's like 14 players for voting next round so I have 4 spots of "Non-Ranked" to distribute.
I hope it doesn't happen that way, I find the more names there are, the less focused the discussion is on guys who have a real shot of being in the top 5 of that round. I even found 12 too many this last round.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
.. For the record, from what I gathered, there's only 4 new players up for voting next round.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
.. For the record, from what I gathered, there's only 4 new players up for voting next round.

Isn't it only 3? We had 12 names last round, 5 get included on the list, so we're left with 7. Then there are three new names to bring us up to ten (unless there are any players within 1% of 10th place).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The guys who absolute need to come up now are Nighbor and Lafleur.The rest could theoretically wait.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Esposito
Hall or Sawchuk
Nighbor
Kelly
Lafleur

That would probably make everyone happy right?
Frank Nighbor, Glenn Hall, Guy Lafleur and Red Kelly (alphabetically) sounds plausible from here. I think now is the time for a Soviet, but I'm not delusional- probably not gonna happen this round.

My fear was that with Potvin appearing this round, Robinson will materialize in the upcoming round. I hope not- but there are worse things that could befall us than being flipped The Bird.

The advancement of Mikita, for one.

The nomination of Esposito, for another.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My "educated" prediction?

The first huge blunder of this project will happed next round, when Alex Ovechkin will get voted in WITHOUT having been a serious discussion as to whether he's the best Russian skater.

For greater clarity, voting in Ovechkin wouldn't be an issue in and of itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Farkas

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My "educated" prediction?

The first huge blunder of this project will happed next round, when Alex Ovechkin will get voted in WITHOUT having been a serious discussion as to whether he's the best Russian skater.

For greater clarity, voting in Ovechkin wouldn't be an issue in and of itself.

I don't see how its relative to this project weather Ovechkin is the best Russian skater or not.

Or do you mean just for entertainment purposes?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't see how its relative to this project weather Ovechkin is the best Russian skater or not.

Or do you mean just for entertainment purposes?

It's a just a convoluted way to predict that Sergei Makarov will not be up for voting next round.

Reactions: Sentinel

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Was close
Me, too. We both missed by one-

You: missed by Kelly>Clarke
Me: missed by Esposito>Glenn Hall

I agree- will be interesting to see the vote-spread last round. We advanced the "chalk" [i.e.: the top vote-getters from the round before], but we shuffled Hašek back a little. (Ultimately, not enough to make a huge difference.)

We could do worse than to advance the "chalk" again.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was sidetracked with real world issues when this project began but I need to interject a dilemma I have.

For example who was the best defenseman in Bruins history? Orr wins that easily, but who is second?

I can make a strong case for Eddie Shore and it is safe to say the Bruins survived the Great Depression of the 30's mainly because of him.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I was sidetracked with real world issues when this project began but I need to interject a dilemma I have.

For example who was the best defenseman in Bruins history? Orr wins that easily, but who is second?

I can make a strong case for Eddie Shore and it is safe to say the Bruins survived the Great Depression of the 30's mainly because of him.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I rank him #2 not just in Bruins but in Hockey History as Greatest Defenceman All Time. Real Pioneer. Seminal player in the history of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad