Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time (The Third)

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Jarome Iginla has the peak but I can't shake the impression that he was no better than Mats Sundin or Mike Modano as a franchise player (and neither made the list, along with a myriad of other centers in the same range).

Very good comparison, that's exactly what I feel with regards to Iginla. I don't doubt that if Modano or Sundin had peaked around the same time Iginla did, that they could've competed for the same awards. Modano doesn't have the same season to show but I do think the Hitchcock system hindered him quite a bit. They were a defensive team. Sundin, though, had 94 pts in 96/97 as a 25-year old neck-deep in the DPE. Transplant that 25-year old Sundin to 01/02, he's gonna be up there I think (also notice how much ice time Iginla got, understandable but that has been whined about with regards to Kovalchuk for example):

1Mario Lemieux*31PITC765072122276514.53215374722332715.3
2Teemu Selanne*26MDARW785158109283413.73911183721027318.7
3Paul Kariya*22MDALW6944559936612.626153103519134012.9
4Wayne Gretzky*36NYRC8225729712289.519602462512868.7
5John LeClair27PHILW82504797445813.0401005416032415.4
6Jaromir Jagr24PITRW63474895224012.03411263314123420.1
7Mats Sundin*25TORC8241539465911.0307483713328114.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And 01/02:

1Jarome Iginla*24CGYRW82524496277714.43516172914131116.7183422:22
2Markus Naslund28VANLW81405090225011.9328062723030213.2158019:31
3Todd Bertuzzi26VANRW723649852111011.22214033316020317.7141619:40
4Mats Sundin*30TORC8241398069410.32910292414126215.6158519:20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I also think Iginla got some kind of power forward reputation that I never quite understood because he fought from time to time. I found him surprisingly non-physical most of the time I saw him play.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bure is up there among the greatest ever YouTube players, but in terms of accomplishments, I'd take Sweeney Schriner, among offense-only wingers.

Bure had 3 Rockets. Iginla had 2 (one was a tie)

Bure was first team all-star once, second team twice. Iginla 3 first team, one second team. Of course, his career is much longer.

Iginla does have an Art Ross trophy.

Iginla had insane goal differentials vs. teammates. But Bure has the insanest, 59 goals for the Panthers and Kozlov was next with 14.

Neither guy wins a Cup.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Bure had 3 Rockets. Iginla had 2 (one was a tie)

Bure was first team all-star once, second team twice. Iginla 3 first team, one second team. Of course, his career is much longer.

Iginla does have an Art Ross trophy.

Iginla had insane goal differentials vs. teammates. But Bure has the insanest, 59 goals for the Panthers and Kozlov was next with 14.

Neither guy wins a Cup.

WTH. How is that even possible? I never realized how big the gap was, that's insane....37 points for the next best scorer, and he had 92 points?

Pretty crazy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Indeed. Lundqvist should be too. Something we discussed in the other threads - how it is incredibly unlikely that there hasn’t been a top-100 goaltender since the 1990 draft.

Had either come up for vote in the final rounds (which Pavel Bure actually did), I wouldn’t have been surprised to see either become instant #1s in their round like Ed Belfour was 15 spots earlier.

I understand what you are saying here but this has always rubbed me the wrong way in terms of logic.

When the argument for someone is because we haven't had a player from that position or era for quite some time then maybe it's more about how we are looking at and comparing players and maybe the process needs to be looked at.

I think part of the problem is chronological and once a player is on a list, say from 1945 then to put any similar type of player above him on the list, it has to be an absolute no brainer.

What if one started their top 100 list from this past season and then looked backwards, I bet the list would end up looking quite different and the thought process would be worth it.

Specifically to goalies it's become much harder to dominate year in year out in a larger league and then with a salary cap more recently. Call it the "lack of dynasty complex" if you will.

But to be honest I have a very hard team evaluating goalies compared to potion players where individual talent and accomplishments are easier to distinguish.

Put another way it's easier to see the difference between a great player on a bad team than a great goalie on a bad or average team.

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
If this project is revisited within the next decade, is there any chance that Erik Karlsson sneaks his way onto this list? Assuming his career follows its current trajectory, would that be enough to keep him away from it? How will his career will compare with say, Chara or Leetch?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
If this project is revisited within the next decade, is there any chance that Erik Karlsson sneaks his way onto this list? Assuming his career follows its current trajectory, would that be enough to keep him away from it? How will his career will compare with say, Chara or Leetch?

I think it’s incredibly likely. He was eligible in the final vote, finishing 105th (already ahead of the previously mentioned Bower, Bure, Esposito, and Francis, but behind Iginla and Ullman).

For me, I thought he deserved 4 Norris Trophies and voted accordingly. It’s possible that as we get further from 2016 and 2017, people lose sight of how well regarded he was. In terms of Norris runner-ups, those were probably the best ones the league has seen since at least 1994 and 1996 (and even that may be underrating those seasons).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Ugh, I temporarily forgot Ullman didn't make this list... somehow.

But yes, Ullman and Iginla are the two biggest snubs.

You can argue someone like Martinec or Maltsev (indeed, I believe I had Martinec #1 on my final ballot), but non-NHLers are so much harder to rank. Plus those guys wouldn't have made it, based on the positional lists.

Iginla and Ullman were (IMO wrongly) passed by other players at their same positions who (IMO correctly) finished behind them on the positional lists.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Ugh, I temporarily forgot Ullman didn't make this list... somehow.

But yes, Ullman and Iginla are the two biggest snubs.

You can argue someone like Martinec or Maltsev (indeed, I believe I had Martinec #1 on my final ballot), but non-NHLers are so much harder to rank. Plus those guys wouldn't have made it, based on the positional lists.

Iginla and Ullman were (IMO wrongly) passed by other players at their same positions who (IMO correctly) finished behind them on the positional lists.

i don't know that much about ullman but he was demonstrably better than abel and keon, or just in a grey area with them?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

That's not what I meant by goal differential. I meant the difference in the number of goals his team scores vs the number it allows when he's on the ice.

Based on overpass's new spreadsheet, Iginla's team's ratio of goals scored vs goals against when he was on the ice (R-on) was 1.08 vs a ratio of 0.91 when he was off the ice (R-off). But if you look at just his peak seasons, the difference was quite a bit higher (this was shown in the tables that got destroyed in the migration). Bure's career R-on was 1.05 vs 0.96 career R-off, but his career was all peak.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Sakic may have aged better, but Yzerman started stronger...

Sakic scored 100 points when he was 37, Yzerman scored 155 points when he was only 23!

It all evens out, IMO

And Sakic may have been a marginally better playoff performer, but I don't think the difference - if there is one - warrants the disparity in their ranking

What makes Cylcone Taylor, Bill Cook, and Newsy Lalonde worse than Sakic, but better than Yzerman? I just don't see the logic to it...
I think at this point you're on the wrong side of history if you don't see the slight, but very important areas where Sakic separates himself from Yzerman. There were plenty of guys who peaked offensively in the mid/late 80s, Yzerman included. Sakic managed to peak multiple times after this, when scoring wasn't as prolific. In addition to this, you could always count on Sakic to be a strong playoff performer from Day One. I love both of these guys and they're the reason I wore number 19 as a kid, but Sakic is better than Yzerman and I don't see a great argument otherwise.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
i don't know that much about ullman but he was demonstrably better than abel and keon, or just in a grey area with them?

His own coach Punch Imlach ranked him above Keon and said he was the best player he ever coached.

Ullman also scored a very large percentage of his points at even strength, while only playing on Howe's line for two years, so that would put him over Abel (and Fedorov) for me.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, we are talking 2 guys who should probably be in the 81-100 range, so it's not like they are enormous snubs or anything. I just don't like how their positions dropped from the wingers project without particularly good reason... in my own opinion of course.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It’s a little overstated. Kozlov and Whitney paced for ~60 points each (they each had 70/71 the year before) but only played 51 and 43 games respectively. Of the Panthers 10 best scorers after Bure, 8 played in fewer than 70 games. That doesn’t make for great raw vs. raw goals/points comparisons.

well there were three players on that roster capable of sniffing 20 goals or 50 points and they all played between 1/2 (whitney) to 2/3 (sillinger) of the season. so it's still fair to say he was extremely lacking in the help department.

if you prorated all three guys' goals totals to 82 games and added them up, you would get 60 goals, one more than bure scored all by himself. as it stands, they combined for 37 real goals, one more than third place scorer marcus nilson had points (over a full season).

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
His own coach Punch Imlach ranked him above Keon and said he was the best player he ever coached.

Ullman also scored a very large percentage of his points at even strength, while only playing on Howe's line for two years, so that would put him over Abel (and Fedorov) for me.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, we are talking 2 guys who should probably be in the 81-100 range, so it's not like they are enormous snubs or anything. I just don't like how their positions dropped from the wingers project without particularly good reason... in my own opinion of course.

I'm of the much maligned opinion that Keon is overrated to begin with so I'm here for this haha.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
well there were three players on that roster capable of sniffing 20 goals or 50 points and they all played between 1/2 (whitney) to 2/3 (sillinger) of the season. so it's still fair to say he was extremely lacking in the help department.

if you prorated all three guys' goals totals to 82 games and added them up, you would get 60 goals, one more than bure scored all by himself. as it stands, they combined for 37 real goals, one more than third place scorer marcus nilson had points (over a full season).

Not really sure what the point being made here is. I will say that Kozlov could have absolutely been a perennial 30 goal scorer had things worked out differently, but what we have is what we have.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Not really sure what the point being made here is. I will say that Kozlov could have absolutely been a perennial 30 goal scorer had things worked out differently, but what we have is what we have.

just that "but the good players were hurt" doesn't really make sense as an argument to diminish bure having no help that year because, well, they weren't really there to help him that much were they?

Reactions: buffalowing88

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I think at this point you're on the wrong side of history if you don't see the slight, but very important areas where Sakic separates himself from Yzerman. There were plenty of guys who peaked offensively in the mid/late 80s, Yzerman included. Sakic managed to peak multiple times after this, when scoring wasn't as prolific. In addition to this, you could always count on Sakic to be a strong playoff performer from Day One. I love both of these guys and they're the reason I wore number 19 as a kid, but Sakic is better than Yzerman and I don't see a great argument otherwise.

From '88 - '94, Yzerman had 814 points in 524 games before injuries began slowing him down...

I won't argue if you want to say Sakic had the better career, but to say he was the better player? I don't remember it that way...

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
just that "but the good players were hurt" doesn't really make sense as an argument to diminish bure having no help that year because, well, they weren't really there to help him that much were they?

No, you're right. I wasn't trying to diminish an argument on Bure, for example, I'm merely saying that Kozlov was very talented. Much moreso than players who had greater careers than him. But his talent alone means something to me.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
From '88 - '94, Yzerman had 814 points in 524 games before injuries began slowing him down...

I won't argue if you want to say Sakic had the better career, but to say he was the better player? I don't remember it that way...

That's fair. Maybe I was a bit dramatic in saying that Sakic was bonafide better than Yzerman. I just know what I saw (a weak reason, admittedly). I thought Sakic was the better player but I'm fine with admitting that this is open to interpretation.

I will not, however, bend on my opinion that Fedorov>Forsberg. So we all have our own hills to die on. Yzerman vs. Sakic is difficult to fully consider. I just know that I was always certain a Sakic-led team would be a hair better than an Yzerman-led team if not for the two year cup run Detroit had, in which they were superior in terms of support on offensive depth and defense.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

But does measuring a player versus his next closest teammate (who plays 31 fewer games) actually capture what we’re looking for better than, say, a percentage-based evaluation versus the team?

Scoring 59 of 200 goals (and having points on 46%) is very good. We can say that without making it about the 59-to-14 thing that is missing some pretty serious context.

Those 31 games Kozlov missed, and 21 games Sillinger missed, and 38 games Whitney missed, doesn’t mean there’s no one taking their places and contributing to those 70% of non-Bure goals.

So I think 59-to-14 is more like interesting trivia than a reason to think any better of Bure as a player. 59-of-200 and 92-of-200 are the one that have actual value.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Here's a name that hasn't been mentioned yet, but future generations will likely look back curiously at his omission from the list: Stamkos

He's played 800 career games - 100 more than Bure - and I'd be willing to bet that if adjusted for era, he's among the top 10 all-time in GPG

If Bure was snubbed, I think there's an argument to be made that Stamkos was too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad