Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time (The Third)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Thought I'd take a stab at categorizing the list by era. I'm including players who were in their prime in a certain era. The edge cases were basically quick judgement calls

RankingsPre-Expansion (Pre-1967)Post-Expansion (Post-1967)Pre-Merger (Pre-1927)Original Six (1942-1967)International Era (Post-1992)
1Gordie HoweWayne GretzkyFrank NighborGordie HoweMario Lemieux
2Bobby HullBobby OrrCyclone TaylorBobby HullPatrick Roy
3Jean BeliveauMario LemieuxNewsy LalondeJean BeliveauRay Bourque
4Doug HarveyPatrick RoySprague CleghornDoug HarveySidney Crosby
5Maurice RichardRay BourqueGeorges VezinaMaurice RichardDominik Hasek
6Howie MorenzSidney CrosbyJoe MaloneRed KellyNicklas Lidstrom
7Eddie ShoreDominik HasekClint BenedictJacques PlanteJaromir Jagr
8Red KellyNicklas LidstromCy DennenyStan MikitaAlex Ovechkin
9Jacques PlanteJaromir JagrEddie GerardGlenn HallMartin Brodeur
10Frank NighborDenis PotvinRussell BowieTerry SawchukJoe Sakic
11Stan MikitaMark MessierHugh LehmanTed LindsaySteve Yzerman
12Glenn HallAlex OvechkinTommy PhilipsSyl AppsChris Chelios
13Cyclone TaylorGuy LafleurHod StuartHenri RichardPeter Forsberg
14Bill CookViacheslav FetisovMickey MacKayMilt SchmidtEvgeni Malkin
15Terry SawchukSergei MakarovGeorges BoucherPierre PiloteChris Pronger
16Ted LindsayPhil EspositoMoose JohnsonFrank BrimsekScott Stevens
17Newsy LalondeBobby ClarkeFrank FredricksonTed KennedyAl MacInnis
18Frank BoucherMartin BrodeurBabe DyeAndy BathgateTeemu Selanne
19King ClancyBryan TrottierDuke KeatsTim HortonBrett Hull
20Syl AppsJoe SakicLester PatrickDickie MooreEd Belfour
21Henri RichardMike BossyFrank MahovlichSergei Fedorov
22Milt SchmidtLarry RobinsonMax BentleyZdeno Chara
23Pierre PiloteSteve YzermanElmer LachJoe Thornton
24Charlie ConacherChris CheliosBill DurnanPatrick Kane
25Frank BrimsekValeri KharlamovTurk BrodaDuncan Keith

And by region raised in

RankOntarioQuebecWestern CanadaUSAEurope
1Wayne GretzkyMario LemieuxGordie HoweChris CheliosDominik Hasek
2Bobby OrrJean BeliveauEddie ShoreFrank BrimsekNicklas Lidstrom
3Bobby HullPatrick RoyMark MessierPatrick KaneJaromir Jagr
4Howie MorenzDoug HarveyGlenn HallMark HoweAlex Ovechkin
5Red KellyMaurice RichardBobby ClarkeBrian LeetchViacheslav Fetisov
6Denis PotvinRay BourqueBryan TrottierRod LangwaySergei Makarov
7Frank NighborJacques PlanteJoe SakicMike ModanoValeri Kharlamov
8Stan MikitaGuy LafleurTerry SawchukJohn LeclairVladislav Tretiak
9Phil EspositoMartin BrodeurSteve YzermanPeter Forsberg
10Cyclone TaylorMike BossyAndy BathgateEvgeni Malkin
11Bill CookHenri RichardMax BentleyTeemu Selanne
12Larry RobinsonPierre PiloteElmer LachAnatoli Firsov
13Ted LindsaySprague CleghornTurk BrodaJari Kurri
14Newsy LalondeBernie GeoffrionEd BelfourBorje Salming
15Frank BoucherMarcel DionneBill GadsbyBoris Mikhailov
16King ClancyGeorges VezinaDuncan KeithSergei Fedorov
17Syl AppsDickie MooreSid AbelZdeno Chara
18Ken DrydenJoe MaloneJarome IginlaAlexander Maltsev
19Brad ParkBill CowleyJohnny BowerVladimir Martinec
20Paul CoffeyNels StewartChing JohnsonHenrik Lundqvist
21Milt SchmidtMartin St. LouisJack StewartErik Karlsson
22Charlie ConacherDave KeonScott NiedermayerJiri Holocek
23Ted KennedyRussell BowieDoug BentleyValeri Vasiliev
24Chris ProngerSerge SavardCecil ThompsonPeter Stastny
25Earl SeibertRoberto LuongoPaul KariyaVladimir Krutov
Agree with the gist of the entire post although might quibble a bit here and there.

Also noted that while Yzerman was born in BC he moved to Ontario at age 3 or something.

Also Brett hull isn't on the last list either and while he was born in the States he is a North shore product in Vancouver at the age of 15 after having spent some time in Winnipeg and before that Chicago..

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
This may seem an unpopular opinion.

But Connor McDavid is making a strong case for himself as deserving a high ranking.

3 Hart, 5 Art Ross, etc. Very high per-game numbers.

He doesn't have a Stanley Cup or Conn Smythe, like some other players do.

But his trophy case is starting to look very impressive.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
This may seem an unpopular opinion.

But Connor McDavid is making a strong case for himself as deserving a high ranking.

3 Hart, 5 Art Ross, etc. Very high per-game numbers.

He doesn't have a Stanley Cup or Conn Smythe, like some other players do.

But his trophy case is starting to look very impressive.

Yeah, I can’t imagine anyone agreeing that McDavid belong anywhere near the top 100.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Yeah, I can’t imagine anyone agreeing that McDavid belong anywhere near the top 100.
I'm not sure if this is a joke, or assuming everyone holds your opinion, or possibly a typo that says the opposite of what you mean. He placed 130th in the 2021 project (that was built upon an older top 100 so no one could have argued him for anything higher than 101st), and led the league in scoring twice in the meantime, one of which was the highest scoring individual season in nearly 30 years. That's...getting up there and very easy to see even a relatively conservative voter bumping him 35 spots or so for that 2 years of work.
I'm all for playing the waiting game, but sometimes you get to the point where it's just denying the passage of time.
Sid the Kid's 36 now, and that's just offensive to me.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
It was very clearly a joke.

McDavid's placement in the top 200 was always going to be weird. The top 100 was at the start of the 2018-19 season so McDavid had some 200ish NHL games including 2 Art Rosses. Very difficult to rank and he didn't end up in the top 100.

His placement in the follow-up was weird. Several posters excluded him on their initial list because they thought he moved into the top 100 and the list was 101-200.

If we were to redo the project today he would quite comfortably finish top 50 and probably closer to 25.

It's the inherent problem with ranking players in the middle of their primes.

Last edited:

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I'm not sure if this is a joke, or assuming everyone holds your opinion, or possibly a typo that says the opposite of what you mean. He placed 130th in the 2021 project (that was built upon an older top 100 so no one could have argued him for anything higher than 101st), and led the league in scoring twice in the meantime, one of which was the highest scoring individual season in nearly 30 years. That's...getting up there and very easy to see even a relatively conservative voter bumping him 35 spots or so for that 2 years of work.
I'm all for playing the waiting game, but sometimes you get to the point where it's just denying the passage of time.
Sid the Kid's 36 now, and that's just offensive to me.

Yeah, it was a joke, could have made it more clear. I wasn’t around for the top 100 project (though I have read a lot of the discussions afterwards), however I followed the top 200 closely and I understand how it came to be that McDavid received that odd and lowly ranking considering his age, considering the participants weren’t redoing the top 100, and considering that at the time of the project his playoff resume in particular was an utter non-factor as compared to players with more complete careers (then he had that magnificent CF run the following spring).

My point being, it was impossible to get McDavid’s ranking right then, but it’s undeniable he’s well into the top 100 by now.

Reactions: Johnny Engine

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It was very clearly a joke.

McDavid's placement in the top 200 was always going to be weird. The top 100 was at the start of the 2018-19 season so McDavid had some 200ish NHL games including 2 Art Rosses. Very difficult to rank and he didn't end up in the top 100.

His placement in the follow-up was weird. Several posters excluded him on their initial list because they thought he moved into the top 100 and the list was 101-200.

If we were to redo the project today he would quite comfortably finish top 50 and probably closer to 25.

It's the inherent problem with ranking players in the middle of their primes.
You almost need a cutoff, like > age 30 or something, to make it make sense, and even then it kinda cuts things a bit unfairly for players that are 30/31/32, but it's more margins at that point.

McDavid if he retired here and now? I'm not so sure. 144th in career points, but 5 Art Ross Trophies, only Gretzky (10), Lemieux and Howie (6 each) have more, with Esposito and Jagr also at 5. Also 3 Hart Trophies, only Gretzky (9), Howe (6) and Shore (4) with more, and tied with a crowded but elite tier at 3 with Ovechkin, Lemieux, Clarke, Orr and Morenz.

The lack of Cups kinda is what it is, but I think 32-team, hard salary cap era helps bring some context to it as well. Peak value is always going to matter more than longevity compiler totals.

Even if McDavid retired today, I'd have a really hard time leaving him out of the top 15.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Good list.

I disagree with Orr being ahead of Lemieux, simply because Orr's NHL career was pretty much over in 1975, after 9 seasons. Lemieux had health and injury problems in his prime, but managed to come back and lead the Pens to two Stanley Cups and a Presidents Trophy. He also had two great seasons in his early 30s, and after returning in 2000, Lemieux was arguably the best player in the game from the second half of 2000-01, to the Olympic break 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad