Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 8

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
you know, sometimes I think language like this is hyperbolic, and then you post statistics like that and remind me that it's really not. Posting minuses like that when you get a hundred points is downright ridiculous.

in a way, it reminds me of what I was saying about a guy like Ovechkin before. Nothing happens in a vacuum. The play is fluid, and everything affects everything else. If you told Paul Coffey that he had to play defense as well as Ray Bourque did, or he wouldn't play, and he complied, how many points would he score? It might not be 100 per season. and if that's the case, are we that certain that he is the second best offensive defenseman of all time? Or is he just the guy with the second best stats of all time?
But if you attribute his +/- directly to how well he played defence, do you also come to the conclusion that he played great defence during most of his time in Edmonton? Or played decent defence during his time in Detroit?

Reactions: FinLurker

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Garbage stat that tells us little other than he played for an extremely long time.

Go season by season if you want to make a point about discipline.
I was asking, not concluding.

Turns out, Chelios didn't lead the league/defencemen in minor penalties in a single year, or even top 3, in his career. Though he did have a few placements in the top 10.

Reactions: overg

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No. He wasn't.

He was better, but the gap is much smaller than you and every other person supporting a 3rd wheel, think. But hey, nice of you to show up once in a while to make generalized statements on players I'm actually going in depth on. Pulled the same **** with Jagr.

The only thing that Coffey was a good bit better on than Housley was skating. That's it. They were both **** defensively, they were both soft relative to the era.

Coffey played on dynasties and with guys like Gretzky and Mario and Steve Yzerman.

Housley played on garbage for the bulk of his career. Funny how situational circumstances alter the outcome of things in life. Flip their teams and we're not even discussing Coffey today or next week or next month.

What if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get hurt way back when. Tom Brady probably never happens.

Coffey played on a dynasty, not dynasties. Pittsburgh was not a particularly good team during Coffey's tenure there; they topped out at 88 points in 1990-91, the year they won the Stanley Cup. There's some hyperbole going on here in terms of "look who Coffey was surrounded by".

I think you are also guilty of projecting Coffey's post-peak Pittsburgh career back over his entire career. He was an offensive monster on the Oilers, and generally regarded as the second-biggest reason why they were the greatest offensive team of all time.

You've done a good job pointing out Coffey's plus/minus on the Penguins, and I agree it is poor. Indicative that he was no longer outscoring his defensive mistakes like he was in the past, and this deserves criticism. But you've also seemingly ignored the fact that he was a ridiculous +222 over his four season peak in Edmonton. +56 in the playoffs, which includes a year where he had 37 points in 18 games.

The reason these +/- numbers are so good is because Coffey was scoring at an incredible rate at even strength while in Edmonton. His PP numbers on the Oilers are actually shockingly low. That 138 point season he had in 1985-86...only 32 points came on the PP. Compare this to Pittsburgh, where suddenly he easily set a personal career high in PP points...in a 46-game season!

Regarding Coffey's time in Edmonton, one of two things has to be true:

1) He was indeed bad defensively, but was so dominant offensively at ES that he more than made up for it.

2) His reputation as a "terrible" defensive player and every other adjective that has been thrown around in here, has been overblown.

For what it's worth, and I think it is worth something, Edmonton fans generally considered him the second-most important Oiler after Gretzky during his time here. Absolutely nobody considered Kurri a superior player from 1981-1987 (for whoever was wondering about that). Messier didn't truly blossom until about 1987, the final season Coffey spent in Edmonton.

Another interesting tidbit is that former members of the arch-rival Flames have been quoted (I'm talking local radio and print here, not stuff easily searchable on Google, so you'll have to take my word for it) saying that during the mid-80s, they actually feared Coffey even more than Gretzky as an opponent. It is afterall difficult to assign a checking line to cover an opposing defenseman.

There's a good chance Coffey is going to be towards the bottom of my ballot in this round, but some of stuff being said in here is ridiculous.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
A little context is required.

88/89 not so much, but the 90 and 91 Pens teams simply none of their top scorers were + players.

1989/1990:
Player - Points - (+/-)
Lemieux - 123 - (-18)
Coffey - 103 - (-25)
Cullen - 92 - (-13)
Brown - 80 (-10)
Steven - 70 - (-13)

1990/1991:
Player - Points - (+/-)
Recchi - 113 - EVEN
Cullen - 94 - EVEN
Coffey - 93 - (-18)
Stevens - 86 - (-1)
Jagr - 57 - (-4)

Top 5 scorers both years, not a single + player.

But Coffey is the worst by far.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
But if you attribute his +/- directly to how well he played defence, do you also come to the conclusion that he played great defence during most of his time in Edmonton? Or played decent defence during his time in Detroit?

While he was in Edmonton the goal of the Oilers was to outscore other teams 8-6.

The Oilers dynasty as s stacked that a lot of players plus/minus bumps are a result of being on the ice for so many goals scored.

Coffey was still a high event player.
the thing is we have to look at plus/minus very carefully.

just for an extreme example Robinson has a plus 120 in 76-77 and in the season before and after he is a combined plus 121.

Was he really that much better defensively in 76-77?

No his ESGA for those 3 years is

His ESGF were

ESGF/ESGA tells us alot more, than simple plus/minus.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
To continue the Chelios penalty discussion, how much does this hurt his case?

NHL.com - Stats

Between 1980-present, Chelios has taken the most Total Pnealties and Minor Penalties among defencemen, and second in Total Penalty Minutes and Misconducts to Marty McSorley. Lastly, tied for 3rd in Game Misconducts, behind McSorley/Marchment, tied with Gord Donnelly and Lyle Odelein.

Part of that is due to games played. Out of the top fifty, Chelios is only 20th in minor penalties per game.

The other factor is ice time. Yes, his ice time decreased when he was in his forties, but for three-quarters of his career he was likely averaging 25-30 minutes per game. So Chelios's 45.0 minor penalties per 82 games looks worse than, say, Alexei Zhitnik's 44.1, or Brendan Witt's 43.9, or Gordie Roberts' 43.6, or Gerald Diduck's 41.7. But on a per-minute basis, Chelios is certainly below average (as in, less likely to take a minor penalty compared to the others on this list).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You know, I had typed a long overview from my excel spreadsheet on the Dmen this go and decided to scrap about 45 minutes of work and comments because the average person is just going to look at Coffey's Norris and scoring record and conclude he was world's better than every other Dmen up this go.

Not contributing to some fantasy.

I will say this.

Chris Chelios is one of the most underrated Dmen in this entire thing. I've always liked him but damnit he's got a shot to best Larry Robinson IMO. The fact he was able to garner such recognition as he did, in an era with cough, Coffey, cough and Ray Bourque is mighty impressive. Plus he wasn't a big offensive guy. Quite capable mind you but he was, to me, the perfect blend of offense and defense for the 80's and 90's.....second only Bourque and Fetisov if we're talking the world.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
you know, sometimes I think language like this is hyperbolic, and then you post statistics like that and remind me that it's really not. Posting minuses like that when you get a hundred points is downright ridiculous.

in a way, it reminds me of what I was saying about a guy like Ovechkin before. Nothing happens in a vacuum. The play is fluid, and everything affects everything else. If you told Paul Coffey that he had to play defense as well as Ray Bourque did, or he wouldn't play, and he complied, how many points would he score? It might not be 100 per season. and if that's the case, are we that certain that he is the second best offensive defenseman of all time? Or is he just the guy with the second best stats of all time?

And that's the thing. Nothing I'm saying is or has been hyperbolic.

It's an opinion based on watching him and the teams he played on, which includes 2 of the greatest pure offensive talents this world has ever seen. I'm not saying Coffey is a bum (just like Jagr) but this notion that straight numbers are somehow completely indicative of dominance is outright nonsense.

It's why I brought up Housley and situational circumstance. Housley put up some real good offensive totals in his prime and he did it on absolute trash relative to Coffey. Yeah, Coffey was more physically gifted, mainly as a skater (not that Housley wasn't very good himself) but what I know is that Phil was a prime offensive weapon on some really poor teams. Give him the keys to the Oilers blueline in the 80's and I don't think we're talking about much of a gap in output. At all. Maybe he doesn't hit 130+ points and 48 goals but he'd be in that vicinity. Put Coffey on the Sabers and Jets and he's not even worth discussing. We all know it.

I had Coffey outside the top 50 but inside 75. Take that how you want, but I'm not going to change much on him without some serious data beyond the typical narrative. I'll be completely forward and transparent as I always try to be.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
You are right, of course. No one forced anyone to keep giving Chelios contracts, putting him in games and giving him minutes.

If he was just a #4 defenseman at age 44, so what? Most 44 year olds aren't even hockey players anymore, let alone NHLers. Heck, most 38 year olds aren't.

Having watched just about every game he played at an advanced age, the main reason he kept getting contracts was his penalty killing. He was still able to hold his ground against second rate offensive players at even strength and then show his real value on the PK against the opposition's best. Even as his quickness declined and vanished, he was able to rely on smarts and toughness and continued to excel in a structured, "half-court" setting. He remained cantankerous and still could be genuinely fierce in short bursts; most players largely respected his reputation and backed off just a little bit even when he was ancient. Highly effective on the PK whether playing with Lidstrom (his usual partner on the kill) or not.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Let's see then. Do i really need to do this? :rolleyes: I have better things to do with my time than point out how Coffey's production dropped considerably after 90-91, sans 94-95 which was the exception, not the rule, and again, as part of a GREAT Red Wings team that had 70 damn points in just 48 games.

If you call 64 points in 54 games a significant drop in production instead of significant drop in games played, if you choose to ignore Coffey was born in 1961, thus he was well past his offensive peak for the majority of the 90s, and if you hope to diminish the fact Coffey led that great Red Wings team in scoring at the age of 33 by pointing out the team was great (I don't doubt that had he led a bad team, you would be pointing out it was a bad team), let me tell you what you really need to do.

You need to actually check the stats yourself before posting them. Yeah, in absolute terms, Coffey's production did drop somewhat, but so did his GP. He was a sixty-point player -- in fifty games. And then he slowly and gradually declined like players of his age do. But he was still fast as the wind well into his thirties.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

...but why would you? Why would you tell one of the more uniquely talented offensive players to not accentuate a positive that separates him from all but a handful of players - let alone defensemen?

Why is it more significant that Coffey goes on a stretch of being a high-minus (for 3 seasons in one specific city before returning to +16-28 over 4 seasons in his next city and winning another Norris and having the best Hart voting record for any Western Conference player in a year without inter-conference play) than when high-minus seasons are sprinkled throughout other players’ careers too? Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Sakic, Yzerman... all of these contemporaries of Coffey were bitten by the minus-20 at some point (and some multiple times) for playing higher-risk hockey on bad teams.

When Boston went through its struggles after 1996, Bourque (the responsible one) was a -27 over 290 games before closing his career with a +34 in 94 games with Colorado, so we can’t just separate team effects from individuals’ fluctuating plus-minus numbers. And a lot of the time, Pittsburgh sucked. But if we’re overlooking that he was rated as the best player on a President’s Trophy winner (and eventual Stanley Cup Finalist) after Pittsburgh, then we’re probably trying a little too hard to define a 15-year superstar by a 3-year window in the middle.

But I do like the question of if he is the best offensive defenseman after Orr or just the one with the best offensive stats after Orr. Certainly a better question than if he is as good as Jari Kurri (ugh) or Phil Housley (UGH). If we’re going for natural comparisons from just within the era, Messier (another player with success on multiple teams across 15 years) is probably the better fit. But to answer your question, the eye test seems to indicate the former, while the black-and-white numbers show that the other contenders couldn’t sustain a high-level for 15 years.

So I would conclude that if he isn’t the best offensive defenseman after Orr, it’s because we’ve never seen someone tell Ray Bourque to play as consistently aggressive offensively as Paul Coffey with the fear of not being allowed to play if he doesn’t comply with these new orders. But both this hypothetical coach and yours is doing these players a disservice, whereas Glen Sather and the string of Boston personnel seemed to know that you don’t take the sports car off-roading and that you don’t take the SUV to the Daytona 500.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I own a Chelios jersey, but can't bend my brain in a manner that lets me put him ahead of Robinson. In the direct comparison upthread, there were some flaws in the methodology.
Despite Robinson playing in far more favourable situations (on arguably the greatest team of all-time and generally during a higher-scoring era), their offensive peaks are surprisingly similar... [a]ll things considered, I'd consider offense a draw.
The analysis did not take into account the fact that Chelios found his way to more Power Play time. Hockey's default circumstance is even-strength play- and I'll prefer Robinson in the default circumstance.
Durability. Both players were very durable, especially considering the amount of ice time they played. From 1974 to 1987, Robinson played in 1,039 out of a possible 1,118 games (92.9%). From 1987 to 2000, Chelios played in 1,030 out of a possible 1,106 games (93.1%). They played essentially the same percentage of games over essentially the same length of time. What gives Chelios is edge is playing another 435 out of a possible 492 games (88.4%) from 2002 to 2008, ages 40 to 46!
The post goes on to conclude that, on that basis, Chelios beats out Robinson on durability and longevity. This subjects Robinson to a peculiar form of double-jeopardy, as it takes one Chelios advantage (longevity) and makes it count for two (durability and longevity). Don't know if it's an inadvertent slip in polemical rigor, or something else- but it should be pointed out for the imprecision that it is.

Question came up in the previous project:
Are there specific instances of Chelios hurting his team in the playoffs by taking penalties? He has a rep around here as a great playoff performer.
In that project, someone pointed out loss-of-cool in the Chicago-Pittsburgh Stanley Cup final. I don't think that series should be counted much against the memory of Chelios. The Mario show uncorked some total and acute domination that no iteration of Chelios could have done anything to abate.

An even more unpleasant memory, however, was the Presidents Trophy BlackHawks being drummed out of the opening round of the 1991 playoffs- eliminated by the sub-500 Minnesota North Stars. That, of course, was the year of Jon Casey's near-miracle Playoff Run. In that series, nobody had more penalty-minutes than Chris Chelios.

A final word on Chelios and penalties: you could watch a pretty long run of Chelios 'Hawks games and not come away with the thought "man, that was a stupid penalty." Still, one doesn't rack up 200+ penalty-minutes in one's peak seasons without providing the fans some "wish-he-hadn't-done-that" moments. Ultimately, we recognized it as part of the package. An "upright citizen" Chelios would have been a less-effective Chelios- in much the same way that an "upright citizen" Clarke or Lindsay would have been less effective. High-Skill SuperPests have had their role in any
[North American] hockey era-- and they are assets to their teams. Sometimes 'The Law' catches up with them, though- and one has to take the bitter with the better when that happens.

Ultimately, I think there's room for both Chelios AND Robinson this round. I'm giving Robinson the higher position on MY ballot, though.

Reactions: blogofmike

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Nothing I'm saying is or has been hyperbolic.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Claiming Coffey and Housley are interchangeable is pretty hyperbolic. And I ranked Coffey lower than you (77th).

As another poster said earlier in this thread: put Housley on a dynasty and it’s not a dynasty.

If you think Coffey and Housley are interchangeable and rank Coffey in the 50–75 range, then where do you rank Housley? He should be there too, unless you’re putting Coffey there just because you feel you have to (screeners and all).

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
A little context is required.

88/89 not so much, but the 90 and 91 Pens teams simply none of their top scorers were + players.

1989/1990:
Player - Points - (+/-)
Lemieux - 123 - (-18)
Coffey - 103 - (-25)
Cullen - 92 - (-13)
Brown - 80 (-10)
Steven - 70 - (-13)

1990/1991:
Player - Points - (+/-)
Recchi - 113 - EVEN
Cullen - 94 - EVEN
Coffey - 93 - (-18)
Stevens - 86 - (-1)
Jagr - 57 - (-4)

Top 5 scorers both years, not a single + player.

Good post. The Penguins were awful defensively during this period (even though they were in the Patrick) and they basically relied on their PP to make up the difference.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I feel like we're spending much too much time discussing Coffey and not others - but it's the same recurring problem everytime an offense first player comes up (happened with Jagr and Espo too). Some people go out of their way with ridiculous comments (and sometimes - falsehoods) to try and diminish him - and so there's a ton of back and forth happening to counter those.

Paul Coffey's 5 best offensive point producing seasons are: 138, 126, 121, 113, 103. 601 total points.
Bourque (started 1 season earlier, so exact same era) is at: 96, 95, 94, 91 and 86. 462 total points.

Best season domination = 44% higher
5 season stretch = 30% higher

For reference - Gretzky's best season vs Yzerman's best season? 39% higher
So Peak Coffey is better than Peak Bourque offensively by a higher margin than Gretzky > Yzerman.

Like Goal-scoring?

Coffey Scored: 48 (highest ever for a D), 40, 37, 30, 29,
Bourque Scored: 31, 27, 23, 22, 21

Best season domination: 55% higher
5 season stretch: 48% higher

For reference - Gretzky's best goal-scoring season vs Bossy's beast goal-scoring season? 33% higher.
Gretzky's 5 best goal-scoring seasons vs Bossy's 5 best? 20% higher.

So peak Coffey is a better goal-scorer than peak Bourque by a significantly higher margin than Gretzky > Bossy as a goal-scorer.

Since someone brought up Housley before we can do the same exercise. He started in 82-83, 2 years after Coffey, so again almost exact same era they played in head to head.

Housely's 5 best point scoring seasons are: 97, 86, 81, 77, 76
Housley's 5 best goal scoring seaons are: 31, 29, 26, 23, 23

Coffey's peak season is 42% higher than Housley's best
Coffey's 5 best point scoring seasons are 44% higher than Housley's best

Coffey's best goal-scoring season is 55% higher than Housley's best
Coffey's 5 best goal-scoring seasons are a combined 39% better than Housley's best

Conclusion I draw:

1. Coffey destroys Bourque offensively. Both for points, and goals. He does so by a bigger margin than Gretzky did to Yzerman for points (best year) and Bossy for goals (best year, or best 5 years).

2. Bourque is a GREAT offensive defenseman. He's not a defense first/only type like a Chelios - this is similar to Gretzky destroying an all-time great goal-scorer like Bossy head to head (only Coffey beat Bourque by quite a lot more), so it's significant in showing Coffey's dominance.

3. This has absolutely no bearing on Coffey's rank in relation to Bourque. I'm not saying Coffey > Bourque. What i am saying is - Coffey dominated a talent like Bourque by so much? WOW! Good for Coffey. This is where the Bourque discussion SHOULD END. People shouldn't respond with "yes but Bourque did so much more at defense and that is why Bourque > Coffey overall". This has 0 relevance here, no one is saying Coffey > Bourque overall, Bourque is already ranked. The defenseman Coffey is being compared to are Chelios, Park and Robinson. If someone wants to argue that Coffey should not rank first among defenders here - the logical path is to show how the defense (and other parts of resume) of Chelios, Park and Robinson counter Coffey's offensive dominance - this isn't about Bourque vs Coffey.

4. Housley shouldn't be discussed in this project anymore

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Ted Lindsay on-the-podium:

Have to point out, though, it's a special kind of podium.

It doesn't consist of steps. It is, instead, defined by four sides- and a door.:pb:

And some of those were accumulated in the days of "all-you-can-eat" Power Plays. Yish.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
The Coffey/Huddy pair generally were big plusses at home and much less so on the road. Not surprisingly looking like a pair that needed home matchups to look good. Were they generally together throughout this time or am I just mis-reading stats here?

I assume Coffey also was most years staying on the ice thru 2 partners a decent amount of the time. I don't know the LD/RD breakdown of these teams, was Fogolin cycling in at times? Did Fogolin & Lowe tend to pair up thru these years? Siltanen and Gregg both were clearly top 4 at times as well so may well have cycled in as well.

I assume the Oilers used Coffey & 4 forwards on the PP?

In the 84/85 season Coffey/Huddy suddenly changed and were about equal in +/- on the home and road. Can an Oiler expert share why? Did they go from playing behind Gretzky a lot to playing behind Messier more or something? I'm really curious about this season and why it looks so different from the others, especially 83/84 where Coffey's boxcars are roughly the same. Did Sather and he really get along that season? Cause he clearly took a hit when he was record chasing the next season.

You got the pairs right. Coffey/Huddy, Lowe/Fogolin, Gregg/Jackson for 1984. Randy Gregg would cycle in for an extra shift.

The Oilers ran three forwards on their powerplay until after Coffey left. You can tell by the PPGF who was on the unit with Coffey that year.

As for why there was a shift in 1985, I'd say best explanation is the simplest. Coffey's road points increased at ES (32 ES road in points in 1984, 43 road ES points in 1985). His home scoring decreased at ES (44 home ES points in 1984, 33 home ES points in 1985).

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Here's an old post from 2011 where I argue that Chelios is a bit better than Robinson - blasphemy, I know.

Challenging the consensus: Chelios is (slightly) better than Robinson

Offense. A simplistic comparison would show that they scored virtually the same number of points despite Chelios playing an extra 267 games (which makes it look like Robinson is better). However, we need to take into account two important considerations - first, that Chelios played 391 games after age 40 (which drags down his per-game average) and that he spent a fair amount of time in the Dead Puck Era.

If we look at their performance through age 40 (Robinson's last season), we see that they scored the same amount of points per game (0.69 each - link). All things considered, this would be a point in Chelios' favour given that he never played on a team as stacked as the Canadiens dynasty, and given that he spent six of those seasons in the Dead Puck Era.

Despite Robinson playing in far more favourable situations (on arguably the greatest team of all-time and generally during a higher-scoring era), their offensive peaks are surprisingly similar (Robinson averaged 74 points over his best five seasons, Chelios averaged 69 points - not necessarily consecutive for either player). Given the context, I am considering this a draw.

Over Robinson's best five seasons (1977 to 1981), he was third in scoring among blueliners. Over Chelios's best five seasons (1993 to 1997) he was fifth. Link 1. Link 2. However, competition matters - if we look at the quality of players on each list, Chelios was facing off against seven actual or potential Hall of Fame defensemen (Bourque, Coffey, Leetch, Murphy, MacInnis, Zubov and Lidstrom) compared to just three for Robinson (Potvin, Salming and Park).

All things considered, I'd consider offense a draw.

Defense. These are two of the best shutdown blueliners of all-time. Robinson was named the best defensive defenseman in 1976, 1979 and 1981. Chelios was named the best defensive defenseman in 1993, and was runner-up to Bourque in 1994. Link.

I feel that Robinson was somewhat better at even-strength (as he was better at reading plays and positioning himself appropriately), but Chelios was better on the penalty kill (I've never seen anybody better at clearing the crease). Chelios also logged absurd amounts of ice time on the penalty kill (leading the league in PK TOI per game in 1998 and 2001, at ages 36 and 39!)

Overall I'd call defensive play a draw.

Awards

Here's how Robinson fared in Norris voting (I'm only including seasons where they have at least 5% of the minimum votes to avoiding count a single third-place vote as "top ten" ranking):

1st: 1977, 1980
2nd: 1978 (Potvin)
3rd: 1978, 1981, 1986
5th: 1982

Here's how Chelios fared:

1st: 1989, 1993, 1996
2nd: 1995 (Coffey), 2002 (Lidstrom)
3rd: 1991
4th: 1997
6th: 2000

Despite peaking during the greatest era for top-end defenseman talent, Chelios won more Norris trophies and placed in the top two 5 times (compared to Robinson's 3 times). They have the same number of seasons in the top three and top five.

Chelios has more years as a first-team all-star (5-3) and more years as a first- or second-team all-star (7-6).

Both players got some scattered Hart votes during their career. Robinson earned more than 5% of the votes once (in 1977 with a 10% share), and Chelios never did so.

All things considered, Chelios gets the edge in this category.

Playoffs

Robinson won 6 Stanley Cups to Chelios's 3. Let's dig deeper than relying on the simplistic "Cup counting".

On a per-game basis, Robinson appears to have outscored Chelios (0.63 ppg compared to 0.54 ppg). However, Robinson retired at age 40 while Chelios played another 56 games in a purely defensive role, which skews his numbers down. If we stop at age 40, Chelios scored 136 points in 210 playoff games - 0.65 ppg. This means that Chelios, through age 40, scored more in the playoffs than Robinson, despite generally playing on weaker teams in a lower-scoring era, while being his equal defensively!

Robinson won the Conn Smythe in 1978, and deservedly so. This performance was a bit better than Chelios in 1992 (21 points in 18 games), but it's not by a huge margin.

Peak

I'm tempted to call it a draw. Both were elite shutdown blueliners. As I showed earlier, Robinson was about 7% more productive offensively over their best five seasons, but I think that's largely due to era and team considerations. Neither player had any serious Hart consideration. Robinson has a Smythe, but Chelios won more Norris trophies and had more first-team and total (first & second) all-star selections playing in a tougher era. This is a draw.

Longevity

Robinson had his last season as an elite player in 1986, at age 34 (when he won the Norris). That would give him an advantage against most blueliners, but not against Chelios. From age 34 onwards, Chelios won another Norris trophy, was runner-up to Lidstrom at age 40, and was also a second-team all-star at age 35.

It's important to emphasize that Chelios wasn't just hanging on, playing 15 minutes per game on a crappy expansion team. He logged enormous amounts of ice time while playing on one of the best and deepest teams in the NHL. Chelios was 2nd in total ice time (to Bourque) in 1998, 10th in 1999, 7th in 2000 and 15th in 2002 (covering ages 36 to 40).

I don't necessarily think that what Chelios did at age 44+ plus is all that relevant (playing 2nd or 3rd pairing minutes), but the fact that he was a first- or second-team all-star three times, and logged incredible ice time while playing on arguably the NHL's best team, from ages 34+, gives him a tremendous advantage over Robinson.

Intangibles

Physical play. Robinson was larger and stronger, but Chelios was more aggressive and had a nasty mean streak. Both were among the most intimidating players of their era. This is a draw.

Discipline. Robinson was remarkably disciplined (recording more than 50 PIM just three times in his career, with a career high of 76). In contrast, Chelios recorded 100+ PIM thirteen times, including three seasons with 200+ PIM. Robinson was significantly more disciplined.

Durability. Both players were very durable, especially considering the amount of ice time they played. From 1974 to 1987, Robinson played in 1,039 out of a possible 1,118 games (92.9%). From 1987 to 2000, Chelios played in 1,030 out of a possible 1,106 games (93.1%). They played essentially the same percentage of games over essentially the same length of time. What gives Chelios is edge is playing another 435 out of a possible 492 games (88.4%) from 2002 to 2008, ages 40 to 46!

Conclusion

In summary, Chelios has the following advantages:

- Norris trophy consideration
- all-star consideration
- longevity (decisive)
- durability

The following are draws:

- defensive play
- peak performance
- physical play
- offence

Robinson has the following advantages:

- discipline (decisive)
- number of Stanley Cups won
- a Conn Smythe

It's close and they're similar players, but Chelios should be ranked higher.
Nice try, but Chelios still comes out short compared to Robinson. You short change Robinson's advantages and inflate Chelio's advantages. Plus, you say that it's a draw between the two physically? That's not just funny, it's a factual error. At best, Chelios was a dirty player who wasn't overpowering physically. He was more Ken Linesman than Mark Messier in that department. There was nothing intimidating about him.

The playoffs were heads and shoulders the domain of Robinson over Chelios. I also disagree that Chelios played in a tougher error. Not a chance.

You're also pretty generous to Chelios with defensive play and offense, calling things a draw with Robinson. I'd say Robinson gets the edge in both categories, but at this point it doesn't really matter.

Both players were great. Robinson was better. Perhaps not by a massive margin, but by a clear margin (like the obvious area of white ice between the puck and the goal line after a goal).

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
When Boston went through its struggles after 1996, Bourque (the responsible one) was a -27 over 290 games before closing his career with a +34 in 94 games with Colorado, so we can’t just separate team effects from individuals’ fluctuating plus-minus numbers. And a lot of the time, Pittsburgh sucked. But if we’re overlooking that he was rated as the best player on a President’s Trophy winner (and eventual Stanley Cup Finalist) after Pittsburgh, then we’re probably trying a little too hard to define a 15-year superstar by a 3-year window in the middle.

It is odd that Coffey is a high event player and he posts good plus/minuses on good teams and bad plus/minuses on bad teams.

Of course, on the same team through the 1984 and 1987 Canada Cups, it looks like Coffey was a +9 to Bourque's +5.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
No. He wasn't.

He was better, but the gap is much smaller than you and every other person supporting a 3rd wheel, think. But hey, nice of you to show up once in a while to make generalized statements on players I'm actually going in depth on. Pulled the same **** with Jagr.

The only thing that Coffey was a good bit better on than Housley was skating. That's it. They were both **** defensively, they were both soft relative to the era.

Coffey played on dynasties and with guys like Gretzky and Mario and Steve Yzerman.

Housley played on garbage for the bulk of his career. Funny how situational circumstances alter the outcome of things in life. Flip their teams and we're not even discussing Coffey today or next week or next month.

What if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get hurt way back when. Tom Brady probably never happens.
Well, skating is a massive, massive thing when it comes to hockey. Housley was known for the lead pass to an elite goal scorer (usually Selanne or Zhamnov when he was in Winnipeg). Coffey could actually carry the puck himself to create a scoring opportunity. For me, that's a big difference. While passing skill is crucial, skating and puckhandling are more difficult and require more skill.

Defensively... Housley was really bad. Maybe we're being too tough on Coffey to lump him in with Housley in that area.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Chris Chelios is one of the most underrated Dmen in this entire thing. I've always liked him but damnit he's got a shot to best Larry Robinson IMO.
Disagree.
I think Chelios is right where he belongs, with this group. I think Robinson should have been "voted in" during the last round.
And the most underrated defenseman has yet to make an appearance (Mark Howe).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well, skating is a massive, massive thing when it comes to hockey. Housley was known for the lead pass to an elite goal scorer (usually Selanne or Zhamnov when he was in Winnipeg). Coffey could actually carry the puck himself to create a scoring opportunity. For me, that's a big difference. While passing skill is crucial, skating and puckhandling are more difficult and require more skill.

Defensively... Housley was really bad. Maybe we're being too tough on Coffey to lump him in with Housley in that area.
Let's put it this way -

Will there be a Dman voted in this list that is worse defensively than Coffey? Unless Leetch somehow makes it, my guess is no.

And how many players in general will be on this list worst defensively than Coffey? Maybe a half dozen, one of those being Mario?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad