Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You keep bringing up 2-way play for Fedorov as if it trumps all possible advantages another player may have in offensive production.

How much is it worth for you?

It should be worth quite a bit one would think as it does lead towards winning games.

I mean Bergeron is the best current example in the NHL.

It certainly helped guys like Nighbor and Henri Richard go higher than their offense would place them.

They are the obvious 2 guys.

The thing is that some saying that Fedorov shouldn't be in the top 120 will be all over Dave Keon instead and I have to wonder why?

Fedorov has his faults on his resume, who doesn't this round though?

He also has a very convincing and well deserved Hart trophy and his career wasn't some flash in the pan..

Reactions: danincanada

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not even reading the posts on Fedorov anymore and I dont really see any upside in having more of these.

That's your right but hopefully others are willing to look at everything before coming to definitive conclusions.

After all these are just opinions that we hold, it's good to test them by looking at players from different point of views, right?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's your right but hopefully others are willing to look at everything before coming to definitive conclusions.

After all these are just opinions that we hold, it's good to test them by looking at players from different point of views, right?

I dont need to look at Fedorov from the point of view of people who are emotionally attached to him.

I care about facts. I dont care about your facts.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I dont need to look at Fedorov from the point of view of people who are emotionally attached to him.

I care about facts. I dont care about your facts.

Why would you say that I'm emotionally attached to him?

My arguments were about facts about him.

Exactly what facts that I presented weren't true? Quick answer is none.

And if they are true why don't you care?

Facts are the same for all people.

But maybe in this era of alternative facts, it's easier to ignore reality for whatever reasons.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
For whatever this bit of anecdotal evidence is worth, Jason Chimera was on local Edmonton radio not too long ago and mentioned that Fedorov was a real leader in Columbus, often staying late after practice to work on his game and mentor young players.
My readings of the standings suggest that there may be something more than anecdotal backing for this assertion. in 2005-06, Columbus started the season 4-11-0. That pace, if sustained, would have amounted to a grand and glorious 47 standings-points for their season. You'd have to go back to the 1999-2000 Thrash or ahead to the 2012-2013 Colorado (buried-in-their-own) Avalanche or that same season's Nashville Prey to find similar futility. After acquiring Fedorov, Columbus became the Blue Jackets instead of the Straight Jackets, and were nearly (but not quite) .500 the rest of the way.

It's not airtight proof... but it's decent circumstantial evidence that Fedorov was a positive influence on the results of the squad.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Fedorov also needs better backers at this point.

This isn't an ATD exercise is it?

It seems like that you aren't looking at the post but instead making up your mind on who is posting?

How is that help full?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Alex Kovalev had by far the best season of his career at age 34 in 07-08 with Montreal.

At this point, that's off-topic, but why not?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In his age 34 season, Turk Broda was good enough to be awarded a retroactive Conn Smythe by the SIHR/HHOF research group.

Since apparently "what a player did at age 34" is a thing now.

Forwards, especially elite ones we are talking about in thread often decline in their late 20's and early 30's so yes everything a player does is important.

So everything is a thing now.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Forwards, especially elite ones we are talking about in thread often decline in their late 20's and early 30's so yes everything a player does is important. So everything is a thing now.
List all these elite top 100/HHoF forwards who declined in their late 20s/early 30s.

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
List all these elite top 100/HHoF forwards who declined in their late 20s.
Really? Do we need to invest keystrokes to demonstrate this?!?

All right, let's start at the very top:
Wayne Gretzky's top NHL points totals, by age: 25, 21, 24, 23, 22.
Gordie Howe's Art Ross trophies prior to age 29: 5. After age 29: 1.
Mario Lemieux's Art Ross trophies in his 20s: 3. In his 30s: 2.
(Fact that he got 2 in his 30s is part of what makes him a SuperFreak.)
Bobby Hull's Art Ross trophies before age 28: 3. Age 28 and after: zero(0).

Do I actually have to go on with this???

Last edited:

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Really? Do we need to invest keystrokes to demonstrate this?!? All right, let's start at the very top:
...Do I actually need to go on with this???
Gretzky's early raw point totals and other's Art Ross trophies is the best you got? I'm on my phone and this isn't worthy of serious refutation. Good luck defending this argument.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Gretzky's early raw point totals and other's Art Ross trophies is the best you got?
It's all that's needed to get the job done.

Unless you want to try to argue that high-level scoring Forwards typically don't decline in their late 20s to early 30s. That's a premise that will require luck to defend in a credible manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Fedorov was given a big free agent contract to come in and be their franchise player

Anaheim signing 34-year old Fedorov to be their franchise player feels a little bit too much like Vancouver signing 36-year old Messier to be theirs, to be honest.

Brett Hull had at least 2 better season past the age of 34.

Brett Hull was only his points, so no, he didn't have much better (if better at all) regular seasons in Dallas and Detroit than Fedorov had his one year in California. Brett Hull was not picked up by Dallas and Detroit to be anything close to a franchise player, by the way. He was picked up by already habitual contenders to be a complementary scoring/tip the scales guy in the playoffs. Dallas Stars won the Presidents' Trophy in 1998 without Brett Hull, so they obviously didn't need him for that reason.

I've read @wetcoast's posts in this thread and, to me, it doesn't seem like he's presenting any arguments based on emotions. No more emotions than posters presenting unfavorable opinions about the player in question.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
It should be worth quite a bit one would think as it does lead towards winning games.

I mean Bergeron is the best current example in the NHL.

It certainly helped guys like Nighbor and Henri Richard go higher than their offense would place them.

They are the obvious 2 guys.

The thing is that some saying that Fedorov shouldn't be in the top 120 will be all over Dave Keon instead and I have to wonder why?

Fedorov has his faults on his resume, who doesn't this round though?

He also has a very convincing and well deserved Hart trophy and his career wasn't some flash in the pan..

Yup, Nighbor and Richard are great examples where two-way play and strong defensive play elevated forwards into overly lofty rankings but Fedorov somehow doesn’t get the same treatment and some claim he wasn’t even a top 100 guy? Bullocks.

Fedorov’s offensive numbers in both the the playoffs and regular season are more impressive than Henri’s as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
List all these elite top 100/HHoF forwards who declined in their late 20s/early 30s.

Well for forwards this round, Hull, Kurri, Denneny, Bentley and Fedorov all had thier best years before their late 20s and early 30's right?

It's a pretty well established pattern.

2 of the earlier still playing guys also have the same pattern in Crosby and Ovechkin.

I'm not going to list every player but a simple look at most players on this list will confirm this.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yup, Nighbor and Richard are great examples where two-way play and strong defensive play elevated forwards into overly lofty rankings but Fedorov somehow doesn’t get the same treatment and some claim he wasn’t even a top 100 guy? Bullocks.

Fedorov’s offensive numbers in both the the playoffs and regular season are more impressive than Henri’s as well.

Regular season? Not true.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Voted. Ended up ranking Max Bentley higher than I expected at the beginning of the round.

I think I'm one Duncan Keith away from concluding that, from now on, all available goalies will monopolize the first spots on my ballot (unless Chris Osgood is available for voting or something).

I think we'll be getting one or two goalie (before the final round).

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Actually Fedorov never lead the NHL in any RS offensive stat.G/A/PTS.

Sergei Fedorov Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Henri Richard and Frank Nighbor led the NHL in RS assists a total of five times combined:

Frank Nighbor Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Henri Richard Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Both were better playoff performers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad