Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 1

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Procedure
  • You will be presented with 10+ players based on their ranking in the Round 1 aggregate list (10 players plus anyone with 99% of the voting points of the 10th ranked player)
  • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
  • You will submit ten names in a ranked order, #1 through #10, without ties via PM to quoipourquoi
  • Results of this vote will be posted after each voting cycle, but the individual ballots themselves will remain secret until the completion of this project
  • The top-4 players will be added to The List in Vote 1, while the top-5 players will be added to The List in subsequent voting cycles (#1-4 in Vote 1, #5-9 in Vote 2, #10-14 in Vote 3, #15-19 in Vote 4, #20-24 in Vote 5, #25-29 in Vote 6, #30-34 in Vote 7, #35-39 in Vote 8, #40-44 in Vote 9, #45-49 in Vote 10, #50-54 in Vote 11, #55-59 in Vote 12, #60-64 in Vote 13, #65-69 in Vote 14, #70-74 in Vote 15, #75-79 in Vote 16, #80-84 in Vote 17, #85-89 in Vote 18, #90-94 in Vote 19, #95-99 in Vote 20)
  • A 100th player will be added to The List in Vote 21 from an expanded group of 15 candidates

Eligible Voters
  • Ballots from voters who have submitted an approved Round 1 ranking of 120 players (which was used to shape the aggregate list) will have their votes tabulated in the History of Hockey ranking
  • Art of Sedinery, Batis, BenchBrawl, blogofmike, bobholly39, Canadiens1958, ChiTownPhilly, DannyGallivan, Dennis Bonvie, Dr John Carlson, ehhedler, Hockey Outsider, Iceman, ImporterExporter, Johnny Engine, JoseTheodore2002, kruezer, Kyle McMahon, Mike Farkas, MXD, pappyline, quoipourquoi, ResilientBeast, Sentinel, seventieslord, steve141, ted1971, TheDevilMadeMe, TheGeneral, The Macho Man, tony d, VanIslander

Guidelines
  • Respect each other. No horseplay or sophistry!
  • Stay on topic and don't get caught up in talking about non-eligible players
  • Participate, but retain an open mind throughout the discussion
  • Do not speculate who cast any particular ballot. Do not make judgments about the mindset of whoever cast that particular ballot. All individual ballots will be revealed at the end of the project.

House Rules
  • Any attempts to derail a discussion thread with disrespect to old-time hockey will be met with frontier justice
  • We encourage interpositional discussion (forward vs. defenseman vs. goaltender) as opposed to the safer and somewhat redundant intrapositional debates. Overemphasizing a tired single-position argument like, I don’t know, Harvey/Lidstrom, will only be briefly tolerated before one is asked to move on to a less tedious comparison.
  • Take a drink when someone mentions the number of hockey registrations in a given era
  • Finish your drink when someone mentions that goaltenders cannot be compared to skaters

The actual voting period will open up on Friday, November 2nd at midnight and continue through Sunday, November 4th at 8:59pm. Eastern time zone. I will release the results of the vote on Monday, November 5th.

Vote 1 Candidates
  • Bobby Hull
  • Bobby Orr
  • Doug Harvey
  • Gordie Howe
  • Jean Beliveau
  • Mario Lemieux
  • Maurice Richard
  • Patrick Roy
  • Ray Bourque
  • Wayne Gretzky
You mean top 100 Canadian players pf all time??

If Lidström is considered the 2nd best defensman ever, why is Harvey and Bourque both ahead here...
Where is Hasek? Where is Jagr? Where is sane?

• Bobby Hull
  • Bobby Orr
  • Doug Harvey
  • Gordie Howe
  • Jean Beliveau
  • Mario Lemieux
  • Maurice Richard
  • Patrick Roy
  • Ray Bourque
  • Wayne Gretzky
Will Mario break into the top 3?
Will Orr slip to #3?
Can someone knock the foursome of Gretzky/Orr/Howe/Lemieux out of the top 4?
Why isnt Crosby ahead of some of those, like Hull and Richard, Belaiveau.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
You mean top 100 Canadian players pf all time??

If Lidström is considered the 2nd best defensman ever, why is Harvey and Bourque both ahead here...
Where is Hasek? Where is Jagr? Where is sane?

Lemme guess. You clicked one of the white links on your phone, and now you’re lashing out at the procedures of a 4 year old project, which has since long been completed?

The participants of this project did not collectively consider Lidstrom the second greatest defenseman ever. He was voted in at #15 among all players, and behind Orr, Harvey, Bourque and Shore as the fifth best defenseman.

Hasek was voted in as the second greatest goalie behind Roy. Jagr ended up 16th on the list. Sané is a football player with Bayern Munich, thus ineligible for this project.

Why isnt Crosby ahead of some of those, like Hull and Richard, Belaiveau.

The answer to this and many of your question you will find by going through the many discussion pages.

I seem to recall at least one of the participants was very incensed with others concerning their evaluations of Crosby.

There have been many pages on this forum dedicated to whether Crosby has all those players beat for the title of fifth best skater of all time. I think in 2018 it wasn’t that clear cut, and depending on who you ask I don’t know that much has changed in 2022.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Lemme guess. You clicked one of the white links on your phone, and now you’re lashing out at the procedures of a 4 year old project, which has since long been completed?

The participants of this project did not collectively consider Lidstrom the second greatest defenseman ever. He was voted in at #15 among all players, and behind Orr, Harvey, Bourque and Shore as the fifth best defenseman.

Hasek was voted in as the second greatest goalie behind Roy. Jagr ended up 16th on the list. Sané is a football player with Bayern Munich, thus ineligible for this project.

The answer to this and many of your question you will find by going through the many discussion pages.

I seem to recall at least one of the participants was very incensed with others concerning their evaluations of Crosby.

There have been many pages on this forum dedicated to whether Crosby has all those players beat for the title of fifth best skater of all time. I think in 2018 it wasn’t that clear cut, and depending on who you ask I don’t know that much has changed in 2022.
If Jagr is 16th, and Hasek is behind Roy, its hard to take this list serious.
But that how you ruled it out. But I wsnt to know the sprrad of nationality of those who voted.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Gretzky
Lemieux
Orr
Howe
Crosby
McDavid
Jagr
Hasek - winning an olympic all by himself
Ovechkin

as someone said, nostalgica is a strong drug

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Where's the other 91 players?

130 years of Stanley Cup history. 7 of your top 9 come from post 1979. 8 of your top 9 come from post 1967.
Yes. Any problems?
I rank the best players, the best talents. If you took erik Karlssons talent to 1920, well, he would had slaughter the elague

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
If Jagr is 16th, and Hasek is behind Roy, its hard to take this list serious.
But that how you ruled it out. But I wsnt to know the sprrad of nationality of those who voted.

I would have had those two a little bit higher, but I didn’t partake in the project so I won’t go bashing participants without hearing their arguments out. All the discussion pages are available if you actually wish to find out more about the reasoning behind players’ placements. I don’t agree with all of the participants on all of their votes, but they are generally a very well informed bunch, and able to make cogent arguments for their cases.

Hasek - winning an olympic all by himself

as someone said, nostalgica is a strong drug

He certainly had players in front of him, but I’ll definitely second that thing about nostalgia.

Yes. Any problems?
I rank the best players, the best talents. If you took erik Karlssons talent to 1920, well, he would had slaughter the elague

How do you figure Karlsson was a better talent than Howie Morenz? Is Karlsson not as much a product of more than a century of developments in hockey, as he’s some kind of unheard of, once-in-a-lifetime talent? It strikes me as weird entering the History part of the forum and not expect participants to evaluate players by their performance against their peers under the conditions of their era.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I would have had those two a little bit higher, but I didn’t partake in the project so I won’t go bashing participants without hearing their arguments out. All the discussion pages are available if you actually wish to find out more about the reasoning behind players’ placements. I don’t agree with all of the participants on all of their votes, but they are generally a very well informed bunch, and able to make cogent arguments for their cases.

He certainly had players in front of him, but I’ll definitely second that thing about nostalgia.

How do you figure Karlsson was a better talent than Howie Morenz? Is Karlsson not as much a product of more than a century of developments in hockey, as he’s some kind of unheard of, once-in-a-lifetime talent? It strikes me as weird entering the History part of the forum and not expect participants to evaluate players by their performance against their peers under the conditions of their era.
I took Karlsson, because his style of play, skating with the puck threw all zones, with technic and finesse with ease, that would work in that age as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad