Top 100 Forwards in the NHL

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
How exactly did I cherry pick the last two years when I literally listed all of their stats?

We’re not talking about Bergeron 6 years ago, were not talking about potential. The list is asking who is the best players RIGHT NOW.

Bergeron has been just as good offensively while blowing Matthews out of the water defensively and neutralizing him in the playoffs over the last two seasons.

Matthews will likely be a better player over his career, but he isn’t there yet.

Matthews lead the Leafs in scoring this playoffs which included 5 goals in 7 games.

Yes, and Bergeron’s line was not paired against Matthews line this post season.

See 17/18 for results of when they were though.

There were countless Leaf fans defending his 17/18 post season by saying of course he struggled because he was up against Bergeron.

Yet you wrote that he neutralized him in the playoffs this past season...

No, I wrote everything he did over the last two seasons, including neutralizing him in 17/18
i love this place.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Gallagher vs Domi is close for me, they bring different offensive tools to the table. That said Gallagher is most definitely ahead of Tatar and Drouin.

I wouldn't trade Gallagher for 2 Drouin's. f*** him, he plays with no heart, not a true competitor.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Some of the guys above RNH have absolutely no business being ahead of RNH.

I'm guessing you mean Hischier, Mantha and Nylander?

To be honest putting the list together isn't easy. It's funny because so many times when I considered a player at a certain position, I was telling myself that I really like the player, and I thought I had them too low. I do really like RNH a lot, and I find he is underrated, which may not make much sense to you because you think he should be higher than 76.

He should be ahead of Mantha, but I acknowledged my Wings bias right away. Mantha has another level to hit, and I'm confident he becomes a 35+ goal scorer this year, but becauae he hasn't done it yet, RNH should probably be ahead of him.

I think Nylander is in the same tier as RNH, and I don't think Nylander's play last year dictates what kind of player he is. I'm expecting big thing from Nylander this year.

You do also have a case for RNH ahead of Hischier....but I really like Hischier as a player too.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm guessing you mean Hischier, Mantha and Nylander?

To be honest putting the list together isn't easy. It's funny because so many times when I considered a player at a certain position, I was telling myself that I really like the player, and I thought I had them too low. I do really like RNH a lot, and I find he is underrated, which may not make much sense to you because you think he should be higher than 76.

He should be ahead of Mantha, but I acknowledged my Wings bias right away. Mantha has another level to hit, and I'm confident he becomes a 35+ goal scorer this year, but becauae he hasn't done it yet, RNH should probably be ahead of him.

I think Nylander is in the same tier as RNH, and I don't think Nylander's play last year dictates what kind of player he is. I'm expecting big thing from Nylander this year.

You do also have a case for RNH ahead of Hischier....but I really like Hischier as a player too.
Id throw Karlsson, Schenn, and Reinhart in that group as well.

I do think there is a good argument for Hischier being better. That one could go either way.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
You can put forth a strong argument for Kucherov at #2, and it appears that I am in fact in the minority of having Crosby ahead of Kucherov. I'll tell you right now I stand by my initial list having Crosby ahead of Kuch, and I absolutely love Kuch. If I can add one player to my team for a playoff run, I still add Crosby over Kucherov. I know that's not how I originally made my list, but I stand by Crosby at 2 and Kuch at 3, although it is very close.

McDavid is 1 though, and in my opinion there is not even a conversation to be had, and again, I absolutely love the way Kucherov plays.
There is easily a conversation to be had. More points despite less ice time, Hart, Lindsay and Art Ross winner. I would probably still rank McDavid ahead but another year where they are close and I am not so sure.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
View attachment 247613
looks to me like a slightly worse Kreider

One thing you have to consider with these RAPM charts is it is quite simply easier to perform better on a weak team. I realize that these charts attempt to account for teammates quality and I think they do a decent job of it, but they are not perfect at doing so.

In my opinion, Kreider posting slightly period results in a tougher role on a much weaker team shows that he is significantly better than Gourde.

I think that you are probably correct that Gourde should be in the top-100, although I still have my reservations due to his playoff performances and small overall body of work. Real tough to judge young players like Gourde or Nikolaj Ehlers when they’ve played 4 or more rounds in the playoffs on strong teams and done absolutely nothing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If I'm completely honest, he was #101, and I knew people would have issues with this. I based it off the last 3 years, so wha hurt him a bit was his 16/17 season.

Looking over it, Gallagher should probably be there over Tatar, but I love Tatar so thats my Red Wings bias creeping in.

I commend you for making a "list" type of thread. You probably knew this was going to be followed by negative replies, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I think the vast majority of habs fans would list Gallagher as the most important winger on the club. I'd definitely have him over tatar, or Drouin.

Domi is a bit tougher to read though, since he is pretty early in his habs tenure, and his NHL tenure overall.

Gallagher is arguably #1 for montreal, but no less than #2.

Reactions: RedWingzz

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Matthews last 3 seasons, 21st, 22nd and 28th in ppg and yet he is number 10. What is the reason? Let me guess the Toews argument. He has secret intangibles and he can will the Leafs to victory on it's own? Or because his leadership can make the whole team better?

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Matthews last 3 seasons, 21st, 22nd and 28th in ppg and yet he is number 10. What is the reason? Let me guess the Toews argument. He has secret intangibles and he can will the Leafs to victory on it's own? Or because his leadership can make the whole team better?

It's all about that pace, that pace, that pace.

It's all about that pace, that pace, that pace.

:D

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
There is easily a conversation to be had. More points despite less ice time, Hart, Lindsay and Art Ross winner. I would probably still rank McDavid ahead but another year where they are close and I am not so sure.

Is the strategy to keep stating this over and over so people will ignore the fact that it is completely irrelevant?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
If you are going to rank players based on the past three seasons, Playoffs need to be included. Your top five need to be shuffled around.
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Alex Ovechkin
3. Brad Marchand
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Patrick Kane
Giroux is cleanly better than 3 of those guys in the last 3 years. Try again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad