NFL: Top 10 WR's in the NFL right now

electriccanuck*

I will say in addition, that Julio Jones is double or even triple covered on 95% of plays. Bryant and Wheaton are no slouches and draw coverage off him, Julio Jones played opposite the corpse of Roddy White, and chump ass Leonard Hankerson. Jacob Tamme and Devonta Freeman were the next two leading receivers.

Whenever you see Julio making a catch, he's beating about 2-3 players to do it. He is the best wide receiver in football, probably the best this decade. and when all is said and done, could challenge Rice for best of all time.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Martavis Bryant won't ever be a top 10 receiver. He disappears way too often and is pretty soft. Big Ben called him out this week.

I don't see those as valid reasons for him to never make this list. If he had everything together from day one he'd have been a top 5 pick and not a 4th rounder with a forgettable college career, but physically speaking he's a 6'5" receiver with 4.3 speed and good hands (just on measurables alone I'm shocked he fell as far as he did). If he puts things together he'd definitely be in the conversation. Even with his huge inconsistencies he's put up 15 TDs (14 receiving) in 21 career games.

Of course tools aren't everything, looking at Antonio Brown you'd never picture him as being anywhere near as dominant as he is.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't see those as valid reasons for him to never make this list. If he had everything together from day one he'd have been a top 5 pick and not a 4th rounder with a forgettable college career, but physically speaking he's a 6'5" receiver with 4.3 speed and good hands (just on measurables alone I'm shocked he fell as far as he did). If he puts things together he'd definitely be in the conversation. Even with his huge inconsistencies he's put up 15 TDs (14 receiving) in 21 career games.

Of course tools aren't everything, looking at Antonio Brown you'd never picture him as being anywhere near as dominant as he is.

There have been many Martavis Bryant type receivers with measurables that don't become more than a 2 or 3. He reminds me of Alvin Harper.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Bryant just put up better numbers than Harper had in any of his seasons and he did so in 11 games (5 starts). That's a good comparison for the measurables, but Bryant can actually catch the ball.

I just don't see 6'5", 4.3 guys as common...at all. That's Randy Moss measurables.

Again, not saying he will be, but when you combine that height with that speed with those hands...any failures he's endured and will come across lay on him and him alone. If you could somehow combine those skills with Antonio Brown's motor and smarts...I got shivers just thinking about it.

edit: And here's why I've never given a crap about the combine...I've been wondering since day one how Bryant slipped all the way to 118th with his physical skills and...4.42 40. That's very, very good, but he's faster than that and we've seen what the difference a 4.4 and a 4.3 can make on draft stock. Bryant makes Darrius Heyward-Bey look slow in comparison, and we all know the story with DHB.

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So let me get this straight. Dez's 12-14 numbers stack up with anyone. Then he gets injured in 2015 and loses his QB while also clearly coming back early from his injury and he slides to 6.

It's Brown followed by Dez and then everyone else.

Dez isn't 6 but he's not 2 either. I think I have him at 5 for now but Hopkins is right behind him.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

I know you are from Pittsburgh so I assume you watch Steelers games. How can you say he has good hands? I wouldn't be surprised if he led the NFL in drops. His hands are the reason he was a 4th round pick and the reason he will never be a #1.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
8 drops. Not good at all, but compared to Alvin Harper he's automatic.

Should have qualified that with good hands for a guy of his profile. He doesn't have stone hands at all, but he also doesn't have glue hands either. His issues are all coachable, though I never expect him to become a master route runner.

Worth noting that I didn't get to see a lot of the games he played in this year because of where I live, so maybe he just happened to really suck on the games they weren't televised out here and was at his best when he was televised. Based on what I saw I'd have figured his drop number would have been closer to 4 or 5 than 8.

Last edited:

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
8 drops? Hmmm. Seems like he's had drops in every game. Regardless, his hands are pretty bad for a top 3 WR.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
^ 8 is awful. He had the third highest drop rate in the league among wide receivers with at least 50 targets. 92 targets, 50 receptions, 8 drops. Only ones that were worse were Ginn (96 targets, 44 catches, 10 drops) and Edelman (88 targets, 61 catches, 8 drops).

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Bryant just put up better numbers than Harper had in any of his seasons and he did so in 11 games (5 starts). That's a good comparison for the measurables, but Bryant can actually catch the ball.

I just don't see 6'5", 4.3 guys as common...at all. That's Randy Moss measurables.

Again, not saying he will be, but when you combine that height with that speed with those hands...any failures he's endured and will come across lay on him and him alone. If you could somehow combine those skills with Antonio Brown's motor and smarts...I got shivers just thinking about it.

edit: And here's why I've never given a crap about the combine...I've been wondering since day one how Bryant slipped all the way to 118th with his physical skills and...4.42 40. That's very, very good, but he's faster than that and we've seen what the difference a 4.4 and a 4.3 can make on draft stock. Bryant makes Darrius Heyward-Bey look slow in comparison, and we all know the story with DHB.

Darren Waller is 6'5" 235 lb receiver with 4.4 speed. He was a late 6th round pick. Bryant slipped because teams saw the same underwhelming tape. Combine that with attitude questions and that's why he slipped. Also Alvin Harper played in a different era and would probably feast on the new rules.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Brown is the best. His route running is just so damn calculated and precise, no matter what kind of route it is. A good example was his latest TD vs. the Browns, where he beat double coverage with a simple double move. He wasn't doing any crazy cuts or jukes to shake the defenders or anything, it was all about the timing of the subtle little movements he does to freeze the defenders and open himself up for an anticipated Roethlisberger pass. He does that on such a remarkably consistent basis as well. Everything has a purpose, no wasted movement. This is the true beauty of Brown. He's limited relative to the bigger receivers in terms of catch radius (although his body control and bulldog mentality of approaching the ball which I'll try to illustrate below makes up for a lot of that), but it doesn't matter when you can create separation as effectively and consistently as Brown does.

Then you get to actually catching the ball. He's just so reliable and almost never drops it. He also is great at using a variety of different catches to help secure the ball and to gain additional yardage. It's funny, even with his insane reception numbers and drop ratio, I don't really think of him as one of those "sticky hands" catchers like an OBJ or a Brandon Marshall. He uses his body to help secure catches A LOT, even though a lot of coaches preach to just use your hands. He even uses the old basket catch quite routinely. It's kind of one of those "bring down the ball at all costs" mentality no matter what it looks like and it completely works for him.

Then there's the whole aspect of how good he is when plays are extended and he has to improvise, which has been talked about quite a bit lately. He's in a perfect situation to do that as that's Roethlisberger's specialty is extending plays, but he's such a key component in creating separation and actually opening himself up for Roethlisberger to throw to.

Jones is such an athletic freak, but I just don't see all these little intricacies in his game, which is what I think separates Brown from the pack.

I should also mention that Brown drew the most Defensive Pass Interference penalties and "lost" the most yards to them this year (7/196). 2nd for DPI drawn was OBJ at 6, and yards lost was John Brown at 136. Julion was 3/59. Just gives a bit more context to the raw numbers.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Brown is the best. His route running is just so damn calculated and precise, no matter what kind of route it is. A good example was his latest TD vs. the Browns, where he beat double coverage with a simple double move. He wasn't doing any crazy cuts or jukes to shake the defenders or anything, it was all about the timing of the subtle little movements he does to freeze the defenders and open himself up for an anticipated Roethlisberger pass. He does that on such a remarkably consistent basis as well. Everything has a purpose, no wasted movement. This is the true beauty of Brown. He's limited relative to the bigger receivers in terms of catch radius (although his body control and bulldog mentality of approaching the ball which I'll try to illustrate below makes up for a lot of that), but it doesn't matter when you can create separation as effectively and consistently as Brown does.

Then you get to actually catching the ball. He's just so reliable and almost never drops it. He also is great at using a variety of different catches to help secure the ball and to gain additional yardage. It's funny, even with his insane reception numbers and drop ratio, I don't really think of him as one of those "sticky hands" catchers like an OBJ or a Brandon Marshall. He uses his body to help secure catches A LOT, even though a lot of coaches preach to just use your hands. He even uses the old basket catch quite routinely. It's kind of one of those "bring down the ball at all costs" mentality no matter what it looks like and it completely works for him.

Then there's the whole aspect of how good he is when plays are extended and he has to improvise, which has been talked about quite a bit lately. He's in a perfect situation to do that as that's Roethlisberger's specialty is extending plays, but he's such a key component in creating separation and actually opening himself up for Roethlisberger to throw to.

Jones is such an athletic freak, but I just don't see all these little intricacies in his game, which is what I think separates Brown from the pack.

I should also mention that Brown drew the most Defensive Pass Interference penalties and "lost" the most yards to them this year (7/196). 2nd for DPI drawn was OBJ at 6, and yards lost was John Brown at 136. Julion was 3/59. Just gives a bit more context to the raw numbers.

Spot on at every level.

electriccanuck*

sorry but i can apply most of that stuff to julio jones. fluid, no wasted movement, incredible potential for big yac plays, creates separation through double and triple coverage, etc.

they're both really good. give me julio jones any day. he might go down as the best receiver ever when all is said and done.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
sorry but i can apply most of that stuff to julio jones. fluid, no wasted movement, incredible potential for big yac plays, creates separation through double and triple coverage, etc.

they're both really good. give me julio jones any day. he might go down as the best receiver ever when all is said and done.

Over Rice? Snowballs chance in hell.

electriccanuck*

only thin holding him back is the **** team he's on.

let's not forget that Rice's 49ers were LOADED. in terms of pure talent, Megatron > Rice.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Watkins will never get the respect he deserves because of the offensive system and the quarterback that he has.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
only thin holding him back is the **** team he's on.

let's not forget that Rice's 49ers were LOADED. in terms of pure talent, Megatron > Rice.

So whats your excuse for Randy Moss, pre-Brady? You know, when his QB was Dante Culpepper.

Or Terrell Owens, who never had a top QB passing to him during his prime (depends on how you rate McNabb)

Tim Brown?

Also Rice was still posting over 1K yards a seasons even after he left Steve Young for Rich Gannon.

electriccanuck*

So whats your excuse for Randy Moss, pre-Brady? You know, when his QB was Dante Culpepper.

Or Terrell Owens, who never had a top QB passing to him during his prime (depends on how you rate McNabb)

Tim Brown?

Also Rice was still posting over 1K yards a seasons even after he left Steve Young for Rich Gannon.

what's the point of this post, why are we talking about moss, owens, tim brown? did i say they could have been the best WR of all time? no. did i say they were held back by their team? no. did i say anything about them? no. do i wish to discuss them? no.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
what's the point of this post, why are we talking about moss, owens, tim brown? did i say they could have been the best WR of all time? no. did i say they were held back by their team? no. did i say anything about them? no. do i wish to discuss them? no.

Your claiming Jones doesnt get enough credit or isnt #1 because of Ryan, then go on to say Rice was as good as he was because the Niners were stacked.

I mean saying Jones might go down as the best ever, its a HUGE stretch.

electriccanuck*

no matt ryan is fine, he had a bad season but he'll rebound. but Jones won't get the team championships Rice had because the Falcons are always such a mess. And there is basically no one else for Ryan to throw to, no wide receiving threat (again, Freeman and Tamme were the next best pass catchers).

put the guy on the broncos, packers, patriots, steelers, etc etc and he's breaking records every single season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad