NFL: Top 10 WR's in the NFL right now

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
With 2015 wrapping up, i wanted to present some top 10 lists in no particular order position wise. We obviously saw a pair of all time great seasons (Antonio Brown and Julio Jones) but where do they stack up against the rest of the league. Here we go:

1. Antonio Brown - Steelers - 5'10'' 180

2015 Line: 136-1834-10 + 1 punt return TD

-Tied for 2nd most catches all time with the guy just below on this list, in the same year. 1834 yards is 4th all time in a single season. Also took another punt return to the house for the 4th straight year. And to think he didn't have Roethlisberger for 4+ games early in the year. I have little doubt he would have blew past Marvin Harrison and Calvin Johnson's marks had Big Ben missed so much time. Even still, the man is a machine who doesn't have the freak athletic size/gifts that most of the other top guys on this list enjoy. All he does is consistently put up huge numbers, run near perfect routes, catches almost anything thrown his way and to this point (knock on wood) has been a healthy player.

Brown won back to back AFC player of the month awards to end the season in 2015. He shredded Chris Harris Jr, who hadn't given up a TD in well over a year, twice for scores (15 catches for 189 yards as well) in a huge comeback win late in the year vs Denver and also had a 17 catch, 284 yard performance against Oakland earlier in the season. His streak of 5 catches for at least 50 yards did end at 34, but is nearly double the next person closest all time (19). With the 136 receptions, he set two NFL records: most receptions in a two-year span with 265; and most receptions in a three-year span with 375. Along with his 16 receptions against the Browns, Antonio Brown became the first receiver to post two 16+ catches in a single season, and his four games of 175+ yards in a season is also a NFL record. He's the most dominant WR in football and does it without fitting the stereotypical model for a #1.

2. Julio Jones - Falcons - 6'4'' 220

-136 catches matched AB above. And he even managed to best Brown in yardage posting the 2nd most all time with 1871. I give the slight edge to Brown because Brown's been a much bigger TD producer over the past 2 seasons, stayed healthier and didn't have his QB for nearly 5 games in 2015. With that being said Jones is a freak of a human. He is physically more imposing than AB, can probably get a a few balls a year that Brown can't and doesn't have the QB AB has. With that being said Jones is targeted just as much so the opportunities are clearly there. Jones is a dominant force.

Jones' seasons followed a very similar path to Brown in that he posted huge numbers the first few weeks before suffering some lower outputs between week's 4-7 and then 11-13. His problem seems to be more about injuries, some of which is just being unlucky and the nature of football. Regardless the past 2 years, age, and feature status in Atlanta's dome offense bodes well for continued dominance, so long as he can stay on the field.

3. DeAndre Hopkins - Texans - 6'1'' 218

-Might surprise some people who like the #4 player, but Hopkins has blossomed into a dominant force with uneven and downright crappy QB play at various junctures the past 2 years.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett (multiple points in past 2 years), Case Keenum, Brian Hoyer, TJ Yates, and Brandon Weeden. Now they aren't all bums, but that isn't exactly a sterling list of QB's to have in the game today. Hopkins still managed to put up the 2nd most catches, 3rd most yards, and hauled in 11 TD's in 2015. I don't think he is as polished as the #4 guy on the list but he can be just as dominant and does it with less at QB (sometimes MUCH less). And no I'm not a big fan of Eli or anything. The future is bright for Hopkins, especially if they can keep a guy like Hoyer around moving forward, and he stays healthy or possibly upgrade at some point in the near future.

4. Odell Beckham Jr - Giants - 5'11'' 198

-We all know about THE CATCH. And there have been others as well that defy belief. His numbers are tremendous given he's only been in the league 2 years and has sometimes dealt with an up and down Eli. I still think Eli is better than anything Hopkins has had at QB (often a wide margin). There arrow is pointing up on OBJ though. You don't produce like he has and not push for the #1 spot down the road. He needs to clean up the BS on the field. Norman clearly exposed him and took him out of the game (should have been ejected but that's an entirely different argument) until very late vs Carolina. I have no problem with people putting Beckham at #3 right now. And i know there are plenty of Giants fans who would probably put him 1.

5. Demaryius Thomas - Broncos - 6'3'' 230

-402-5787-41. That's his 4 year stat line running. Anyone averaging 100 catches, 1446 yard and 10 TD's a year has to be in the running for a top 5 or maybe even top 3 spot. His numbers dipped somewhat, due to Manning taking a massive step back and Brock O getting his first career reps and naturally having up and down performances. He still managed to catch more than 100 passes and over 1300 yards. He's a physical specimen and can make any play. Has bouts with the drops at times and doesn't have the handle on the route tree that guys like Brown and Beckham do. But his size and speed often make up for that.

6. Dez Bryant - Cowboys - 6'2'' 220

-Very similar career arc Thomas up until this year, Bryant obviously had a really crappy go at it, battling injuries and then not having Romo when he was in the lineup. You can't argue his skill set or production. His numbers between 2012-2014 stack up with anyone. He's down somewhat due to 2015, but much of it was out of his hands. We'll see how he rebounds in 2016.

7. Brandon Marshall - Jets - 6'4'' 230

-Not many guys on the wrong side of 30 are putting up the kind of numbers he did this past year. Depending on the next few years, Marshall is on his way to a HOF career. Closing in on 900 catches and already past 11k yards with 79 TD's. Rebounded from a down year in 2014. 109-1502-14 is a tremendous line for a 31 year old.

8. Larry Fitzgerald - Cards - 6'3'' 218

-Very similar to Marshall. He'll be in the HOF and rightfully so. Still putting up great numbers despite being 32. 109-1215-9 this past year and I think he could still have a couple of big seasons with Palmer before they both ride off into the sunset.

9. Calvin Johnson - Lions - 6'5'' 235

-Will be interesting to see what happens this offseason with him. There was a stretch where he was absolutely the best and most dominant WR in the game. He isn't on that tier anymore although he still flashes the ability from time to time. I hope he continues playing and adds to an already stellar career.

10. AJ Green - Bengals - 6'4''

-38 TD's the past 4 years. He's another freak athlete who doesn't get quite the looks and volume that some of the guys up top do, but make no mistake few have his combo of size and speed and big play ability. Missed Dalton for a few games late but Dalton did step up greatly this year so I could see even bigger totals coming for Green and a rise back up the rankings in the years to come. I could see him being ranked higher based on pure ability and wouldn't have a problem with it.

Honorable Mentions:

Allen Robinson
-Great outlook moving forward, especially if Bortle continues to improve.

Sammy Watkins
-Criminal how under utilized he is. He's got top 7 upside if Bills ever get a true pocket QB who can sling it.

Mike Evans
-Similiar to Watkins. We'll see how Winston pans out and that ties to how much damage Evans does.

Randall Cobb
-Took a big step back after they needed him to step up in Nelson's absence. With Rodgers there is always a chance for a rebound though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeah, would rather have nelson there over cobb. cobb has been fantastic #2 but can't handle the #1 role. very good slot receiver but i think baldwin is better and the best slot receiver in the game along with larry. think he should get HM.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
kinda overshadowed by Robinson but I don't think Hurns is that far off from him myself. Both great dynamic young receivers. I have no problem with your list though. Wouldn't shock me to see Martavis Bryant and Amari Cooper on there this time next year.

I also think that if you value slot receivers in a similar way Edelman has to be up there- the decline in the offense of the Patriots without him has been noticeable to say the least. Brady is taking more of a beating and the passing game has suffered as a whole. He is at the very least a better player than Cobb.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Alshon Jeffery is better then all your honorable mentions ,, He just had an injury plagued year

Even then when on field he was productive. He only played 9 games this year and still put

54 Rec
807 yds (14.9 avg)
4 TD

Honestly he should be on your list because IMO he is better then Fitzgerald (Fitz is still good but on decline) and Johnson (Who is also slowly on decline)

Maybe its me being a Bear homer but Jeffery is that good and his #'s in just a half year justify IMO my belief that he is top 10 WR in game

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Martavis Bryant won't ever be a top 10 receiver. He disappears way too often and is pretty soft. Big Ben called him out this week.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Alshon Jeffery is better then all your honorable mentions ,, He just had an injury plagued year

Even then when on field he was productive. He only played 9 games this year and still put

54 Rec
807 yds (14.9 avg)
4 TD

Honestly he should be on your list because IMO he is better then iiFitzgerald (Fitz is still good but on decline) and Johnson (Who is also slowly on decline)

Maybe its me being a Bear homer but Jeffery is that good and his #'s in just a half year justify IMO my belief that he is top 10 WR in game

Yeah you're being a homer.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Amari Cooper is likely to be top-5-10 this time next year, IMO, he's not as polished as some other WRs but he has a ton of chemistry with the QB and gets plenty of volume. When he really learns how to set up his routes and run more efficiently he's gonna be otherworldly.

Also don't sleep on Brandin Cooks, 84-1138-9, remarkably consistent for a 2nd year WR, especially considering he's only 22. He's right there with the guys on your HM list.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
AJ Green way too low.

Yea. Five straight years of over 1,000 yards, at least 6 TD's in each of them. 6043 yards total in the last 5 years with an average of 14.8. Guy is a machine.

Hopkins is way too high, sure he had a great seasons and was solid last year, but he's borderline top 10/no higher than 9th IMO when taking entire body of work into account.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't think Hopkins is too high, and certainly not "way too high." You have to take into account the Texans QB play and they don't have much else to threaten defenses with. Hopkins probably gets more coverages rolled his direction than any other WR in the league because they just don't have much else going on. To me it's a coin flip proposition between Hopkins and Beckham.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
hopkins is awesome. shouldn't have the legs to catch that many balls but he covers that with his hands and IQ. no problem having him in top 5 and i'm not usually big on rating player very high or low just based one season.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Martavis Bryant won't ever be a top 10 receiver. He disappears way too often and is pretty soft. Big Ben called him out this week.

I don't think Ben Roethlisberger challenging him to be better (when he is a young guy with some maturity issues) means he can't be an elite receiver, and I'm not sure why you think that is evidence to that. 15 touchdowns in his first 21 games say otherwise as it relates to his long term potential.

Imagine if he develops a route tree and starts understanding the nuances of the position under Brown- could be a terror.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So let me get this straight. Dez's 12-14 numbers stack up with anyone. Then he gets injured in 2015 and loses his QB while also clearly coming back early from his injury and he slides to 6.

It's Brown followed by Dez and then everyone else.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think Ben Roethlisberger challenging him to be better (when he is a young guy with some maturity issues) means he can't be an elite receiver, and I'm not sure why you think that is evidence to that. 15 touchdowns in his first 21 games say otherwise as it relates to his long term potential.

Imagine if he develops a route tree and starts understanding the nuances of the position under Brown- could be a terror.

Because he has never played up to his potential. He will get hot for a stretch and get everyone believing again and then vanish. I've seen him play since his freshman year at Clemson. Nothing has really changed with him. He's a complementary player who has the potential(The word that gets everyone fired) to be more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad