Top 10 teams with the brightest future 2018

Who will be most successful in the next 5 years? Pick 10.

• Total voters

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Pretty simple - what teams do you see having the most success over the next 5 years. You can pick 10 teams.

By success I mean shots at the cup, wins, finishing high in the standings, going deep in the playoffs, etc.

I do not mean success in terms of "we are in bad shape now but I think we can build a good farm over the next few years".

Consider things like
  • Contracts and the cap
  • Prospects
  • Young players vs Aging players
  • Picks in upcoming drafts

Chicago fans...sorry I ran out of room, so I subbed you out. You had an amazing decade, and maybe you will be great but I figured someone else needed the boost more than you. Thanks for understanding!

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pitts, Washington, TBay, Winnipeg and Nashville are my top five.
Then Toronto and Philly.
I’d have Vegas, Colorado and Buffalo as my remaining three who still have a ways to go.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Winnipeg getting a vote by 86% of the voters is expected and deserved, but still pretty crazy. Impressive!

Voted

Toronto
Winnipeg
Tampa
Buffalo
Philly
Columbus
Colorado
Carolina
Florida
Edmonton.

I'm sure someone will tear me apart ;)

Suprised Vegas had zero votes..

I didn't vote in Buffalo, but I think otherwise we have the same teams. Even with poor management, I still can't see Edmonton sticking around the bottom.

As for Buffalo...I think they will be a top 5-10 team in a few years, but I don't expect a lot of them until the 2021-2022 season, sot hey didn't get a vote from me.

EDIT: I just realized I don't have Nashville. I expect them to be in the conversation for at least another 3-4 years, so I probably should have them in there somewhere.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
5 years isn’t too long so I’ll keep it safe and go with the teams I think have a shot right now:

Jets
Preds
Caps
Penguins
Lightning

Edit: Read it as 5 in 5. Oh well. My tier 2 would’ve been:

Leafs
Knights
Flyers
Oilers (can’t be wrong forever)
Avs

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets
Preds
Blues
Pens
Leafs
Caps
Bruins
Preds
Lightning
Oilers
Vegas

In no particular order. Changed Sharks to Oilers after I voted

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
As I said in the other thread, I think this is a good idea, although it will be hard for me to choose ten.

Buffalo: I consider Jack Eichel to be up there with Patrik Laine and Auston Matthews, and soon he will have the supporting cast that they do. He needs to be healthy but finally, Buffalo gets a first overall pick and it's an amazing impact one in Dahlin. There are some serious holes on the team and while I don't think they make the playoffs this season, they will be a team that is finally on the rise.

Also not sure if I liked trading Ryan O'Reilly.

Carolina: Boasting now one of the best defences in the entire NHL and a fancy stat darling team, it's about damn time Carolina started to do something. While they missed out on Dahlin, they did land a franchise level (potentially) centre in Svechnikov and some good wingers in Teuvo and Aho, I still feel they need some serious upgrades in net and some more winger depth. I wouldn't trade Jeff Skinner.

Edmonton: Yeah, I know a homer pick. Yeah, I know Chiarelli has mis managed the team. Yeah, I know the Oilers weren't good last year. But I keep saying that last year was an outlier season for a variety of reasons: Bad goaltending that corrected itself by the end of the year (Talbot is still a career .918 save percentage goalie), numerous injuries to key players (Draisaitl, Larsson, Klefbom and Sekera), historically bad Power Play and Penalty Kill. Will all that happen again? I would bet no. The Oilers actually had some solid possession metrics but had some crappy luck. Plus they have the best player in the NHL on their team. Still, holes on wings and praying that Puljujarvi and/or Yamamoto panning out is a lot to ask for.

Nashville: This is the prime for Nashville. They have solid depth all around. Their defence is one of the best in the league, if not the best. I do wish Ryan Johansen would produce more, but it's hard to not like the Predators. I do worry about losing Ryan Ellis next year though.

Tampa Bay: Tampa, you're becoming the new Washington at this point, if not more heartbreaking. So many Conference Finals, but only one cup final appearance. That hurts. They have a loaded team full with studs. You could say they are the deepest team in the NHL. Something should give.

Toronto: Congrats Toronto, you signed the biggest free agent ever in John Tavares. There's no denying it: you could have one of the best top six in the NHL and one of the best two centers (although I'd have them in the 4-5 range). There's a lot to like in Toronto but there are also some very key questions: How are you going to pay for those young guns? Patrick Marleau, who hasn't missed a game in sometime, isn't magically going on the LTIR. What about that defense of yours? Rielly is a great player, but you're potentially going to lose Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev did not look like one of the best free agent signings in recent time. Sure, you allowed not a lot of goals, but gave up a shit ton of shots.

Still, that top six though.

Winnipeg: Remember when Winnipeg couldn't win a playoff series? Those were good times. Now enter a new dawn where Winnipeg are legit cup contenders. I think losing Stastny hurts, and they didn't really fill that void. But they are up there with Tampa for the deepest all around team in the NHL. Too bad Jacob Trouba is being a dink and won't sign long term.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted for:

Pittsburgh
Washington
Nashville
Toronto
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Montreal
Los Angeles
Tampa Bay
Vegas

Fun Poll OP

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Their a meh team that isn't exactly "young", so the outlook isn't expected to improve drastically.

Under 25

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Tkatchuk, Jankowski, Lindholm, Hanifin, Andersson.

players over 30 6 players.

Calgary's average age is 26 years old and they're 11th in the league.

Reactions: viper0220

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ok so as of this posting some teams with a lot of votes are:

Winnipeg, Tampa, Toronto, Nashville. All obvious choices. Nashville with crazy defense, Toronto/Winnipeg with great talent/young cores and Tampa arguably the best roster 'on paper' in the league. All strong bets to win a cup (or more) within the next 5 years. I can see why people are voting for them.

But why in the world does Pittsburgh only get 33% of the votes??? Do people seriously expect a team with Crosby/Malkin to start to suck in the next 5 years? Crosby/Malkin are both arguably still in top form going into this season. Maybe 5 years from now they'll have declined, but they should still be near top form for at least the next 2-3 seasons, and still can have a ton of success in the coming 5 seasons.

Washington has been the best team in the league after Pitt the next 3 seasons (or maybe before Pitt). 2 President's trophy, last year's cup winner.....but they have 26% of votes? Are they supposed to start sucking as of this year? lol

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Under 25

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Tkatchuk, Jankowski, Lindholm, Hanifin, Andersson.

players over 30 6 players.

Calgary's average age is 26 years old and they're 11th in the league.
So like I said, not exactly young, and more importantly, not much room left for development there. With most of those main pieces you mentioned, their at the age where you know what you have with them. Of the list you mentioned, except for Andersson, what you have is basically what you get.

You're not developing into a divion leader with that group, and you're likely in a fight to get into the playoffs every season. It's nothing against Calgary, and I don't think their a dreadful team. I'm just saying it like it is.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Voted (in no order)

Toronto
Winnipeg
Philadelphia
Carolina
Vegas

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Ok so as of this posting some teams with a lot of votes are:

Winnipeg, Tampa, Toronto, Nashville. All obvious choices. Nashville with crazy defense, Toronto/Winnipeg with great talent/young cores and Tampa arguably the best roster 'on paper' in the league. All strong bets to win a cup (or more) within the next 5 years. I can see why people are voting for them.

But why in the world does Pittsburgh only get 33% of the votes??? Do people seriously expect a team with Crosby/Malkin to start to suck in the next 5 years? Crosby/Malkin are both arguably still in top form going into this season. Maybe 5 years from now they'll have declined, but they should still be near top form for at least the next 2-3 seasons, and still can have a ton of success in the coming 5 seasons.

Washington has been the best team in the league after Pitt the next 3 seasons (or maybe before Pitt). 2 President's trophy, last year's cup winner.....but they have 26% of votes? Are they supposed to start sucking as of this year? lol

On the flip side, I believe they are ranked 9th and 12th in the summary thread. So although people have them dropping over 5 years compared to the last 5, no one thinks either will fall off the face of the earth.

Pitt Summary Ranking: 9th
Pitt Standings 2018: 8th

Washington Summary Ranking: 12th
Washington Standings 2018: 6th

Larger drop for Washington, maybe people think they will fall from elite status into that 8th-14th overall area in the league during those 5 years. Or maybe the expect 5th-8th type finishes for a couple years, then a big drop into the mid/low teens. Either are possible now that some of the key guys are signing their UFA deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad