Top 10 Stories/Writing in games

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The unsatisfying ending was actually quite fitting imo.

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."

well, Kreia could have sold you on the idea that the entire thing was a dream sequence by Jar Jar Binks

but if the writing team had an extra six months on their schedule, I rather profoundly doubt the ending would be the same

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Of course it was: light vs dark side and the dark side has access to a super weapon.

It is generic as ****.

It works though, generic doesn't mean bad.

KotOR 2 however, now there is a story with twists and turns that matter more than for shock value. At the end of the day, the Revan twist is meaningless outside of getting the player to go "WOW": nothing changes.

A story with good guys and bad guys. Yes, like literally 99% of every story that exists. It's the details and the journey. In that regard it wasn't typical Star Wars at all.

Remember the game came out in 2003. There was some expanded universe books and we were in the midst of the prequels. Just because JJ Abrahms basically re-wrote A New Hope doesn't mean we can retroactively say all these other Star Wars media are "typical". Just because you saw the twist as "meaningless" doesn't make it typical. It was pretty cool to a lot of people and not very Star Wars at all. Very far from typical.

Anyways, thought of another game to add to my list: Eternal Sonata

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The Uncharted Series
Heavy Rain
The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite
Horizon Zero Dawn
KoTOR Series
Mass Effect Series
Portal 2

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't play many story-driven games outside of Final Fantasy games, so my list is pretty limited:

Bioshock
Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, Tactics
Final Fantasy 14: Heavensward
Silent Hill 2
Half-Life

When all is said and done, I believe FF15's story will surpass FF7's.

Tactics I agree with. I think the story in XV was actually the weakest part.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
that's funny because I'm almost never interested in a game, unless it has a good story.

Yeah I came across people on both ends of the spectrum in the Unpopular Gaming Opinion thread. Some people were just like you in that the story is what draws them into the game, and a couple were like me where the story is basically meaningless to me. I just want the gameplay to be fun. I skip almost every cut scene :laugh: I just don't care for it. I don't really care for movies either though, so I assume there's a connection. I do like reading quite a bit though....so...I really have no idea.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah I came across people on both ends of the spectrum in the Unpopular Gaming Opinion thread. Some people were just like you in that the story is what draws them into the game, and a couple were like me where the story is basically meaningless to me. I just want the gameplay to be fun. I skip almost every cut scene :laugh: I just don't care for it. I don't really care for movies either though, so I assume there's a connection. I do like reading quite a bit though....so...I really have no idea.

I don't care about movies but I generally want games to have a good story. The gameplay has to be really fun if there isn't one. Games like overwatch I don't care for. I played a couple matches and for me it was just too easy no challenge. Rocket league I play a lot.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
KoToR 1 could easily be made into a Star Wars trilogy and people would cream their pants. Even if the story is somewhat generic, it was still very enjoyable and is also why it would work great for movies.
Movie 1 = Revan amnesia, gets crew together, finds out he's force sensitive, gets training to become a Jedi, begins quest to follow tracks of Revan.
Movie 2 = Uncovers a lot of Revan's past and star maps, ends with big reveal that he is Revan
Movie 3 = The struggle to reclaim his identity as either dark side or light side (or in the middle) and final showdown with Malak.
Result = $ Billions.

Plus Star Forge is at least different than these planet destroying death star things that are the main super weapon in so many Star Wars movies. Honestly, you could rewrite the entire trilogy with different characters, locations, etc. but just a plot loosely based on the games and the outline is still there for a great set of movies.

Last edited:

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Tactics I agree with. I think the story in XV was actually the weakest part.

I have not played through it with the additions of Episodes Gladiolus and Prompto, but agree it was very weak. Had to read some explanations online to get exactly what was going on. The game is set up to add content though, something that wasn't available 10 years ago in FF games. Give me Episode Luna, Ardyn, Nyx, King Lucis. They're calling it "The Final Fantasy XV Universe", so I have hopes they will continue to expand on the story.

That said, the FFVII remake will have the same options available. Maybe they'll throw in some Zack Fair Crisis Core content and re-tell that Vincent Valentine abomination of a game Dirge of Cerberus. One can only hope.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't care about movies but I generally want games to have a good story. The gameplay has to be really fun if there isn't one. Games like overwatch I don't care for. I played a couple matches and for me it was just too easy no challenge. Rocket league I play a lot.

"Too easy" as in simple gameplay (FPS Multiplayer class / hero). Or "too easy" as in you were too good at it by just playing "a couple matches"?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Star Ocean the second story had a great story, great villains. An all out outstanding game that doesn't get enough love.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
"Too easy" as in simple gameplay (FPS Multiplayer class / hero). Or "too easy" as in you were too good at it by just playing "a couple matches"?

Bit of both. I played alittle bit more then a couple. Gameplay was very simple for me and there was literally 0 seconds where I felt like I was going to lose or even come close. Maybe I have to play more to get ranked to play better players (don't remember if that was a thing).

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Bit of both. I played alittle bit more then a couple. Gameplay was very simple for me and there was literally 0 seconds where I felt like I was going to lose or even come close. Maybe I have to play more to get ranked to play better players (don't remember if that was a thing).

That's definitely a thing. What's also a thing is even if you are really good, if you aren't playing the right characters or have a team that cares about the objective more than their KDR, you will lose... a lot. No matter how good you are.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Final Fantasy Tactics is my all time favourite, still holds up great today. Anyone who hasn't tried it should give it a shot. FF7 was my favourite when I was younger. Playing the Witcher 3 now and loving it. The shadowrun games had some fantastic writing as well, especially Glory's character. The Halos too but some more than others. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 are a classic as well.

No love for Skyrim? "Curved swords, CURVED SWORDS" :laugh: still love that game though. My favourite game to just get lost in.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Portal's writing is very close to my heart.

Firewatch is good too but it felt a little I dunno... self-conscious? at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad