Top 10 Stories/Writing in games

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I don't play many story-driven games outside of Final Fantasy games, so my list is pretty limited:

Bioshock
Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, Tactics
Final Fantasy 14: Heavensward
Silent Hill 2
Half-Life

When all is said and done, I believe FF15's story will surpass FF7's.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Planescape: Torment by a country mile. Not just because it was unique and original, but because it made me care about characters in a computer game the way you care about characters in books or movies.

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri - achieved the rare feat of adding a compelling storyline to a 4X game.

HM: KOTOR beats KOTOR2 for me because 2 wasn't finished on release, plus the "kaiser soze" moment in the original.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I just don't see how a bog standard Star Wars story with an admittedly great twist wins out against arguably the best video game character of all time and the most adventurous offering in the whole SW universe. No matter how buggy it was on release.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Bioshock 1, Bioshock Infinite
Last of Us
Fallout 2
Metal Gear series
Persona series
Danganronpa series (if this counts)

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Telltale's the wolf among us and tales from the borderlands

Wolf among us? What's that? Telltales second best series that will never be heard from again? I can't believe batman is getting another series before wolf among us :cry:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Wolf among us? What's that? Telltales second best series that will never be heard from again? I can't believe batman is getting another series before wolf among us :cry:

I didn't even know they're making another Batman game. It makes sense that that'd get a sequel before Wolf Among Us for marketing purposes but agreed, I thought Wolf Among Us is Telltale's best game after Walking Dead Seasons 1 & 2.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I didn't even know they're making another Batman game. It makes sense that that'd get a sequel before Wolf Among Us for marketing purposes but agreed, I thought Wolf Among Us is Telltale's best game after Walking Dead Seasons 1 & 2.

It's better then season 2. Season 2 got alittle too much hate (from the people that didn't like it so much). But it still wasn't that good

Walking dead
Wolf among us

Season 2 walking dead
Tales from borderlands
Minecraft story mode

Batman (never played it but I'd assume it'd be here cause I never heard too much from it)
Walking dead season 3 (haven't played but it seems choices don't matter from seasons 1-2 at all now and haven't heard many good things at all)

Game of thrones (didn't hear any good things)

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

I normally don't like comic books, but have considered getting some issues of Fables because of TWAU, just a clever idea, to take some characters from fables, and throw them into NYC, with adult issues.

However, TFB was better IMO. Literally had me LOL at points, and the choice of music was perfect.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I normally don't like comic books, but have considered getting some issues of Fables because of TWAU, just a clever idea, to take some characters from fables, and throw them into NYC, with adult issues.

However, TFB was better IMO. Literally had me LOL at points, and the choice of music was perfect.

Yeah tales was pretty good i loved it. But the story of wolf among us was better then the jokes from tfb imo

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
It's better then season 2. Season 2 got alittle too much hate (from the people that didn't like it so much). But it still wasn't that good

Walking dead
Wolf among us

Season 2 walking dead
Tales from borderlands
Minecraft story mode

Batman (never played it but I'd assume it'd be here cause I never heard too much from it)
Walking dead season 3 (haven't played but it seems choices don't matter from seasons 1-2 at all now and haven't heard many good things at all)

Game of thrones (didn't hear any good things)

Heh, I liked Game of Thrones. It wasn't great but it was still pretty good. I really enjoyed Batman myself, that being said, I don't really know any of the Batman lore. I only know the mainstream stuff and whatever I learned from Arkham Asylum & Arkham City as well as what little I remember from watching The Animated Series as a kid. Hell, I only saw Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, never saw any other Batman movies either. I know usually people hate on things that don't follow the proper lore so maybe that's why people didn't like it much?

Maybe my choice in season 2 being above Wolf Among Us was biased because I loved season 1 so much. Both Walking Dead season 1 & 2 as well as Wolf Among Us are still all must plays IMO.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I just don't see how a bog standard Star Wars story with an admittedly great twist wins out against arguably the best video game character of all time and the most adventurous offering in the whole SW universe. No matter how buggy it was on release.

KOTOR was a standard Star Wars story? - Not at all.
HK-47 was in the original KOTOR too.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I played about an hour of Tales from the Borderlands as the free PS+ game last month. Worst gaming experience I've had since E.T. on Atari. Not gonna knock anyone for liking these games, just wasn't my cup of tea and was left wondering, "people like these games?"

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
KOTOR, Bioshock: Infinite (such an amazing game), Batman: The Telltale Series (even though the game is buggy as ****)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
if you have the time (a lot of time), this is a great series breaking down KOTOR II and emphasizing its remarkable strength as a story, albeit a story without much of an ending

https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

The unsatisfying ending was actually quite fitting imo.

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The unsatisfying ending was actually quite fitting imo.

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."

That's cute, but it would have been nice to actually find out what happened. I had to search on the internet to find out what destroyed the planet because the rushed and buggy story meant that I was never told.

But HK-47 is mayhaps the greatest NPC of all time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
KOTOR was a standard Star Wars story? - Not at all.

Of course it was: light vs dark side and the dark side has access to a super weapon.

It is generic as ****.

It works though, generic doesn't mean bad.

KotOR 2 however, now there is a story with twists and turns that matter more than for shock value. At the end of the day, the Revan twist is meaningless outside of getting the player to go "WOW": nothing changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad