Prospect Info: Top 10 Prospects

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I just looked again at McDonagh.
The year we drafted him, he was third behind McBain and Drewiske.
The next season, he was improved his numbers a little bit but was behind McBain, Smith and Gardiner.

Then we traded him and I looked at the numbers and I did not see much improvement in the numbers: less productive than Smith and Schultz (Justin).
Few people were tearing their shirts over McDonagh being traded.

Now four years later, you can see that McDonagh is a top-10 d-men in the league.

You also could go back and look at game by game stats for McCarron:
  • September: 2GP, 2 points;
  • October: 10GP, 3 points;
  • November: 13GP, 4 points;
  • December: 10GP, 4 points;
  • January: 12GP, 9 points;
  • February: 12GP, 8 points;
  • March: 7GP, 4 points.
Basically, he did 13 points in his first 35 games (.37 ppg) but did 21 points in his last 31 games (.67 ppg).

So next season, with significant PP, I would not be surprised to see him get a ppg season.

Hunter has already hinted that he is going to use him as a top-6.
Now if he is not used on top-6 with PP TOI, we can bring him into AHL. He was not drafted from OHL but from NDTP.

He is big enough and if he has to play on bottom-6 might as well make him play in AHL.:laugh:

Anything less than a PPG from McCarron next year would be unacceptable. If you are that big and can't dominate smaller players then there is not much hope for you in the NHL.

Personally, I am expecting 1.20 PPG next season.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Anything less than a PPG from McCarron next year would be unacceptable. If you are that big and can't dominate smaller players then there is not much hope for you in the NHL.

Personally, I am expecting 1.20 PPG next season.

Lucic never dominated smaller players.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Lucic never dominated smaller players.

To be fair, if we compare McCarron and Lucic:

Lucic made the NHL 1 year after he was drafted. So while he was just below PPG in his final year of junior, that's equivalent to McCarron's current year, not NEXT year.

Lucic led his team in points his final year. Michael was 10th on his in same aged year.

So yeah, when McCarron goes back he should hit PPG at least or something. With guys like Domi and Horvat likely getting a chance to stick in the NHL we would hope Michael's responsibility increases and he gets a chance to refine his offensive game.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
1) Magnus Nygren
Player comparable: Jiri Slegr
2) Jacob de la Rose
Player comparable: Markus Naslund
3) Zachary Fucale
Player comparable: Roberto Luongo
4) Sven Andrighetto
Player comparable: Martin St.Louis
5) Artturi Lehkonen
Player comparable: Jere Lehtinen
6) Charles Hudon
Player comparable: Trevor Linden
7) Greg Pateryn
Player comparable: Eric Desjardins
8) Michael McCarron
Player comparable: Tony Amonte
9) Dustin Tokarski
Player comparable: Ed Belfour
10) Jeremy Gregoire
Player comparable: Guy Carbonneau
HM: Martin Reway & Mac Bennett

Reway could turn into a Zetterberg

Bennett turn into a Sheldon Souray
:laugh: no way this is a serious post.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Lol at Nevins in top 10 and ahead of DLR.
I wrote BASED on Habs Needs.Tom Wilson made Washington the year he was draft(18 years old).Not because of his offensive talent ....Nevins or Crisp are not Wilson but , in their role,they are closer then it appear.....On the 4 line....maybe in 1 or 2 years.....JDLR is better but can he play this year?Don't think so, that why Nevins is closer then him.Not better but closer.

Why MB did not signed a fighter yet?Maybe he will but if he does not....who can have this role in the prospect?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
To be fair, if we compare McCarron and Lucic:

Lucic made the NHL 1 year after he was drafted. So while he was just below PPG in his final year of junior, that's equivalent to McCarron's current year, not NEXT year.

Lucic led his team in points his final year. Michael was 10th on his in same aged year.

So yeah, when McCarron goes back he should hit PPG at least or something. With guys like Domi and Horvat likely getting a chance to stick in the NHL we would hope Michael's responsibility increases and he gets a chance to refine his offensive game.

Yes McCarron was tenth in points - as a rookie on an offensively stacked team. Lucic led an offence-starved team in scoring in his 2nd year in the WHL. Huge factors that, in the name of fairness, you are ignoring.

I would think that being an OHL rookie is almost as pertinent as being a year older when it comes to CHL stats as a general rule. McCarron should have been expected to get more points than Lucic did as a WHL rookie as he was a year older (and he did...35 points to Lucic's 19)...but not as many points as Lucic did in his second season, because at that point Lucic wasn't a seasoned veteran.

The proper projection..to be fair, would be something in between Lucic's first and second-season totals, and that's what McCarron accomplished. It should also be remembered that he played more than a month with a shoulder separation, and during that time his stats were poor, which affected his final point totals.

So far in 2014 McCarron is averaging .7 points per game....it's not unreasonable to expect him to increase that to 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 ppg as you and others are projecting. Lucic went from scoring .3 ppg as a rookie to close to 1.0..so it's reasonable to project McCarron to be in the ppg range this season...perhaps even a little higher. All of a sudden he'll be one of the oldest players in the league and have a year under his belt..he'll be facing a lot of 16 and 17-year-olds that he will dominate size and strength wise. Hunter will be more comfortable with him, and give him pp and pk time in addition to top six ice time 5-on-5. there were penalty filled games in the second half of the season where McCarron was lucky to have ten shifts and no PP time, but he still generated a lot of chances and averaged .7 ppg.

It will be interesting to see if Horvat or Domi make the jump to the NHL...at this point there looks to be a spot available for Horvat in Vcr if he seizes the chance. Domi I expect back. If the Ruperts, Tierney and Horvat are all gone...there will be a top two center spot available, and I'd expect Mac and Marner to grab them..unless they want Dvorak to play center in the top six...then perhaps they look at putting Mac back on the wing. I have a feeling Lapointe..and perhaps Bergevin..would prefer him on the wing...we'll see what transpires.

He is going to get a top-six role and power play time as at least three of the top six forwards won't be back (Anderson, Tierney and Ryan Rupert)..and perhaps as many as six.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
1. Scherbak
2. Beaulieu
3. Sekac
4. DLR
5. Nygren
6. Tinordi
7. McCarron
8. Andrighetto
9. Fucale
10. Gregoire

No Hudon?

IF Hudon stays healthy...watch out!! (More GMs will call Bergevin inquiring, but I'd keep him...could be a playoff warrior/winner). Two years from now...many GMS will be inquiring for our McCarron (but he's a keeper). And, Tinordi...will be beast!! (you'll see more of it within a year or two!! also...playoff warrior, imo).

1) J.Tinordi (been waiting so long for a 6'7 dman like Tinordi!!)
2) Sherback (2-3 yrs away...top 6 big/skilled/gritty forward)
3) McCarron (can't wait, but patience will do it!)
4) Hudon (if he stays healthy...watch out!)
5) Andrighetto
6) Beaulieu (like his smooth skating but needs a lot of improvement on Defense 101, imo)
7) DLR
8) Sekac
9) Lehkonen
10) Fucale

HM:
Connor Crisp
Daniel Audette

Last edited:

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
No Hudon?

IF Hudon stays healthy...watch out!! (More GMs will call Bergevin inquiring, but I'd keep him...could be a playoff warrior/winner). Two years from now...many GMS will be inquiring for our McCarron (but he's a keeper). And, Tinordi...will be beast!! (you'll see more of it within a year or two!! also...playoff warrior, imo).

1) J.Tinordi (been waiting so long for a 6'7 dman like Tinordi!!)
2) Sherback (2-3 yrs away...top 6 big/skilled/gritty forward)
3) McCarron (can't wait, but patience will do it!)
4) Hudon (if he stays healthy...watch out!)
5) Andrighetto
6) Beaulieu (like his smooth skating but needs a lot of improvement on Defense 101, imo)
7) DLR
8) Sekac
9) Lehkonen
10) Fucale

HM:
Connor Crisp
Daniel Audette

That's the problem with Hudon. I'm not at all confident that he will be able to stay healthy. Ditto Lehkonen. That's why I didn't put them in my top 10.

I basically used 2 criteria in developing my list.

First, I picked players who I felt had a very high probability of playing in and having significantly long careers in the NHL. If I was of the view that there was a low probability of a player making the NHL, I didn't include him regardless of talent or upside. Hence why I didn't include Hudon and Lehkonen, both of whom I see as having relatively serious health and/or injury issues. Hudon's health problems are fairly well documented. Lehkonen had 2 concussions before he was even drafted, and I think has had one or 2 since IIRC. Doesn't bode well for a career in the NHL imho.

Second criteria in terms of where they appear on my list is my own personal perception of a player's upside or impact. The higher the upside or projected impact, the higher on the list.

Of course, lists like these are, at least to a certain extent, highly subjective, but fun nevertheless.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
That's the problem with Hudon. I'm not at all confident that he will be able to stay healthy. Ditto Lehkonen. That's why I didn't put them in my top 10.

I basically used 2 criteria in developing my list.

First, I picked players who I felt had a very high probability of playing in and having significantly long careers in the NHL. If I was of the view that there was a low probability of a player making the NHL, I didn't include him regardless of talent or upside. Hence why I didn't include Hudon and Lehkonen, both of whom I see as having relatively serious health and/or injury issues. Hudon's health problems are fairly well documented. Lehkonen had 2 concussions before he was even drafted, and I think has had one or 2 since IIRC. Doesn't bode well for a career in the NHL imho.

Second criteria in terms of where they appear on my list is my own personal perception of a player's upside or impact. The higher the upside or projected impact, the higher on the list.

Of course, lists like these are, at least to a certain extent, highly subjective, but fun nevertheless.

Fair enough...a lot of your list has a lot to do with HEALTH projections (injury prone or not,etc).

I'm going to cross my fingers that Hudon can get lucky in the health department sooner than later...'cause I have a feeling about him for playoffs...he can be important for our top 9, again...if he stays healthy. As for Lehkonen...many concussions...don't like that, but still going to hope that he gets lucky and also...he has to gain 25lbs, but this doesn't always help to prevent concussions, but still...he has to gain muscle/weight.

A lot of what IFs...we'll come back here in a year or two and things can change a lot...

My list was overall VALUE between now and 2-3yrs from now. Imo, wait till you see J.Tinordi in the 2015 or 2016 playoffs...he'll have a chance to shine...we've needed a 6'7 dman like him since a long long time!!

Go Habs Go!! (go health go!!).

p.s.: yup! these lists are fun indeed...especially if some of us re-visit it 1-2yrs later!! (bumping!).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad