Value of: Top 10 pick to Toronto

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Same feeling FLA fans had last year, I was shocked we went with Knight after inking Bob for 7 years but this kid seems special like Askarov.
And FLA needed D prospects like TOR did imo.
One thing I've learned from over the years is whatever your teams problem is now probably won't be your biggest weakness 5 years down the road when the kid you draft now will be ready, especially with dmen or goalies who generally take 3-5 years before they're actually ready, not just hidden on the 3rd pair or a backup. The Leafs have two good D prospects and 1-2 solid goalie prospects but I'm not about to bank on any of them being superstars.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
One thing I've learned from over the years is whatever your teams problem is now probably won't be your biggest weakness 5 years down the road when the kid you draft now will be ready, especially with dmen or goalies who generally take 3-5 years before they're actually ready, not just hidden on the 3rd pair or a backup. The Leafs have two good D prospects and 1-2 solid goalie prospects but I'm not about to bank on any of them being superstars.

I like Sandin's toolkit, the speed/skating and most importantly the hockey IQ.
He was pacing similar numbers to Rielly's first year at 19, may be a Rielly-lite.
The offense is there, we'll find out about the defense soon enough.
I'd bank on him being at least a decent #3 if he hits the majority of his ceiling.
Lillypad is a mystery box for me, feel Sandin will be better.

A lot of people questioned Knight after Bob signing but when you work it out, Knight will be mentored by Bob for at least 2-3 years on his ELC and once Bob deal is up, Knight should be entering his prime in his mid 20's
2 more years at BC, 3 year ELC, 1-2 year bridge which has Bob with a year or him being a UFA.
Knight at worst should become a good 2a option (30-45 game potential) but ceiling is legit #1.

What 2-3 players would you draft at 15th, in order of likability?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Maybe without a contract at almost 11m per, he gets closer to 5.
Retention needed and he gets 8ishOA.
Marner doesnt go for a number 1. Even if the #1 could produce 90 plus points, you would be paying him a king's ransom in a league that has further expanded and diluted the talent base.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Marner doesnt go for a number 1. Even if the #1 could produce 90 plus points, you would be paying him a king's ransom in a league that has further expanded and diluted the talent base.

Just to be clear, Lafreniere on an ELC IS a kings ransom.

Reactions: bernmeister

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Just to be clear, Lafreniere on an ELC IS a kings ransom.
The kid is good but he ain't mcjesus good. Few players produce at the 90+ point mark on their elcs these days. You are giving up a bonafide for a lottery ticket.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The kid is good but he ain't mcjesus good. Few players produce at the 90+ point mark on their elcs these days. You are giving up a bonafide for a lottery ticket.

Lafreniere was ranked 5th among a group of NHL scouts and executives for top #1 picks in the last 10-11 years behind McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and Dahlin. The person that took Dahlin fourth would have had Lafreniere fourth if he was a center. This isn't your average first overall pick. That combined with shedding 11M on a team with cap struggles? That would be without a doubt the best return you could hope for as a Leafs fan trading Marner. Use the cap space to go sign Pietrangelo.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Lafreniere was ranked 5th among a group of NHL scouts and executives for top #1 picks in the last 10-11 years behind McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and Dahlin. The person that took Dahlin fourth would have had Lafreniere fourth if he was a center. This isn't your average first overall pick. That combined with shedding 11M on a team with cap struggles? That would be without a doubt the best return you could hope for as a Leafs fan trading Marner. Use the cap space to go sign Pietrangelo.
5th among a list of draft prospects which have a probability of busting.
Would be interested to see how he would have projected in the McDavid draft. Pretty sure he would have been behind Eichel at the least.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
5th among a list of draft prospects which have a probability of busting.
Would be interested to see how he would have projected in the McDavid draft. Pretty sure he would have been behind Eichel at the least.

If you don't want to trade Marner, then don't trade Marner. That's fine by me. But if the team is looking to move Marner, Lafreniere is the kings ransom you're looking for, and it's the best return you're going to get. If we apply real context to the deal, I promise Toronto is more likely to make that move than New York is.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If you don't want to trade Marner, then don't trade Marner. That's fine by me. But if the team is looking to move Marner, Lafreniere is the kings ransom you're looking for, and it's the best return you're going to get. If we apply real context to the deal, I promise Toronto is more likely to make that move than New York is.
Nobody does that trade. He is closer to a Jonathan Huberdeau than a marner. Dont kid yourself.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

LaF and his elc is not available for a solid offensive threat W on his 11m per salary.

Reactions: AKL

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nobody does that trade. He is closer to a Jonathan Huberdeau than a marner. Dont kid yourself.

And that's a bad thing?

This following stats is for LW from 2016-17 up until 2019-2020.
If Huberdeau didn't have that horrific injury (opponent cutting his ankle with skate), he'd likely be very close to Ovy's production.

Screenshot_20200830-003410_Samsung Internet.jpg

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
And that's a bad thing?

This following stats is for LW from 2016-17 up until 2019-2020.
If Huberdeau didn't have that horrific injury (opponent cutting his ankle with skate), he'd likely be very close to Ovy's production.

View attachment 364854
You cant compare different cohorts of players across the same timeline to assess talent. This is a pretty basic statistical fact. Ovie?....really?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You cant compare different cohorts of players across the same timeline to assess talent. This is a pretty basic statistical fact. Ovie?....really?

I get the idea that you don't actually know who Jonathan Huberdeau is? Or you're still stuck in 2015.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think the Leafs are rebuilding, I know they just faded Kapanen for futures , but a Kapanen trade was also expected, and Dubas immedately came out and said that was pick was on the table for a player that makes us better.

If the Leafs were rebuilding that pick wouldn't be on the table but according to the GM it isi

Last edited:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I get the idea that you don't actually know who Jonathan Huberdeau is? Or you're still stuck in 2015.
Please dont accuse me of ignorance when you compare talent of a 27 year old player with a 34 year old player by putting up stats for the same period of time. Even in that window its iffy but it is such a joke to even present that, I'm not even going to address it. Perhaps you need to start learning a small bit of the subject matter before you talk about it.
To compound matters, you are putting up a guaranteed hall of famer in comparison to a guy who has only crack over a point a game twice in 8 years and was 26 when he did it for the first time? Do you know who he is?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Please dont accuse me of ignorance when you compare talent of a 27 year old player with a 34 year old player by putting up stats for the same period of time. Even in that window its iffy but it is such a joke to even present that, I'm not even going to address it. Perhaps you need to start learning a small bit of the subject matter before you talk about it.
To compound matters, you are putting up a guaranteed hall of famer in comparison to a guy who has only crack over a point a game twice in 8 years and was 26 when he did it for the first time? Do you know who he is?

You're even more confused than I thought.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Aww whats wrong Wendel, no likey the comparisons to your HOF Marner?

Only thing HOF worthy for Marner so far is that ludicrous contract Dubas gifted him.
Is that right? Over a 90 point point streak over 82 games played for a 2 and a half year period all at the age of 23 years old. Yeah...he ain't trending there at all. Get a clue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad