Value of: Top 10 pick to Toronto

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To further complicate the ask, I can’t imagine the Leafs want to give up any core pieces and I can’t imagine anyone gives up a top 10 pick without getting a good core piece as part of the trade.

Yeah it's Nylander for me. No combination of prospects or picks gets the job done.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think the Leafs are more likely to trade down than up.

This draft is littered with unique talent IMO. If neither Askarov nor Lundell drop to 15, I can see them trading back a few spots for Holloway or Schneider

Would the Leafs draft a goalie at 15th?
Figured they keep stocking up that defense if they dont trade it

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
To further complicate the ask, I can’t imagine the Leafs want to give up any core pieces and I can’t imagine anyone gives up a top 10 pick without getting a good core piece as part of the trade.
I agree with you here.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Would the Leafs draft a goalie at 15th?
Figured they keep stocking up that defense if they dont trade it

The D in this draft are underwhelming, better to use a mid-1st on BPA than to reach for need on a player who isnt projected to make the NHL until after Tavares hits free agency

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I don't think I would want to do it as a Detroit fan, but here it goes:

Nylander and the #15 pick

for

Reactions: lilidk

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Nylander to Buffalo for the number 8 pick? Not sure if Toronto needs to add here, but Buffalo could use some immediate help.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I could see the Wild moving #9 for Nylander. But moving a core guy for a draft pick seems like a really weird move for a team in Toronto's position though, and I can't imagine Minnesota being interested in packages of smaller assets.

Maybe if Dubas was trying to make room to sign Pietrangelo? I assume shedding Kapanen and Nylander with zero cap coming back opens up enough space to do whatever the heck they'd want. It would open a glaring hole at RW, but they'd also have #9 and #15 to try to solve that problem :dunno:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
History lesson time...when has it happen? It hasn’t because the price would be very high.

There is a big potential difference between 6 and 15. 6 can be a top line or top D while 15 is more a middle 6 player or a 2/3 Dman.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Where does your team pick?

9. Which I recognize is the low end of "top 10 pick" and I don't think it'd be a good move for Toronto, but that's what it would take for me to do it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I could see the Wild moving #9 for Nylander. But moving a core guy for a draft pick seems like a really weird move for a team in Toronto's position though, and I can't imagine Minnesota being interested in packages of smaller assets.

Maybe if Dubas was trying to make room to sign Pietrangelo? I assume shedding Kapanen and Nylander with zero cap coming back opens up enough space to do whatever the heck they'd want. It would open a glaring hole at RW, but they'd also have #9 and #15 to try to solve that problem :dunno:
I would do it with a slight add from Minnesota's end or in an expanded deal with more pieces involved. But only if Sanderson was there at pick 9.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would do it with a slight add from Minnesota's end or in an expanded deal with more pieces involved. But only if Sanderson was there at pick 9.

What's the slight add? Cause if it hurts even a little bit to get rid of, I'd rather just keep the #9 and go for a guy who falls out of the top 8. The extra years of control and low cap hit are more valuable.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
9. Which I recognize is the low end of "top 10 pick" and I don't think it'd be a good move for Toronto, but that's what it would take for me to do it.
I would love Nylander for 9 + something or expand the deal to include a couple of pieces more from each side. But only if Sanderson was there at pick 9.

Would you do Nylander + 15 for 9 + a defenseman? We could maybe add a prospect or pick depending on the dman.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Does this make it better or worse?

To Min
Nylander
Dermott

To Toronto
Dumba
Greenway

Toronto gains less cap space, but maybe still enough for Pietrangelo? And suddenly the right side of their D is very dangerous. Nylander to Greenway is a major drop in skill, but Greenway does add some size and he's got good hands and wheels for a big guy. He just needs to keep himself engaged.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would love Nylander for 9 + something or expand the deal to include a couple of pieces more from each side. But only if Sanderson was there at pick 9.

Would you do Nylander + 15 for 9 + a defenseman? We could maybe add a prospect or pick depending on the dman.

To Min
Nylander
Dermott

To Toronto
Dumba
Greenway

Toronto gains less cap space, but maybe still enough for Pietrangelo? And suddenly the right side of their D is very dangerous. Nylander to Greenway is a major drop in skill, but Greenway does add some size and he's got good hands and wheels for a big guy. He just needs to keep himself engaged.

This would be a draft day trade and even still I'm not sure it would be possible for there to be a situation where I want to trade down from 9.

If Dumba for Nylander is mostly fair, Dermott for Greenway is mostly fair, 9 for 15 is a big drop down for the deal we're getting.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

To Min
Nylander
Dermott

To Toronto
Dumba
Greenway

This is such crap for Minnesota
Are you serious right now?

Reactions: ivanlwan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

To Min
Nylander
Dermott

To Toronto
Dumba
Greenway

That looks like a solid hockey trade imo. Not sure how other Minny fans or Toronto fans feel about it.

Toronto gets a Dumba (a much needed right D), a prospect, and Sanderson (who's availability my deal is contingent on). The Wild get a top line winger, have there choice of many other talented wingers at pick 15, and a young left defenseman.

I know a lot of Leafs fans will say Dumba is not the kind of dman we need, but he's a very good player.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
That looks like a solid hockey trade imo. Not sure how other Minny fans or Toronto fans feel about it.

Toronto gets a Dumba (a much needed right D), a prospect, and Sanderson (who's availability my deal is contingent on). The Wild get a top line winger, have there choice of many other talented wingers at pick 15, and a young left defenseman.

I know a lot of Leafs fans will say Dumba is not the kind of dman we need, but he's a very good player.

So Minnesota gives up #9 or Dumba for Nylander

Why would Minnesota give up Greenway for Dermott?

Minnesota gives up #9 for 15? Come on

Reactions: ivanlwan

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

@Bazeek yum, our choice of wingers and a left defenseman

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad