Top 10 Overagers Eligible for the 2022 NHL Draft

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buchelnikov is my favourite right now, but he barely is an overager. Underrated for sure, I think he was only a week too old to be in this draft? Very dynamic but undersized, exciting player on the ice.

I would think how he's ripping up the MHL playoffs will help put him on someone's radar.

Lil rat

Oct 26, 2019
Maxim kryovakov, same team as buchelnikov doing good in playoff big centre

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Malik was unreal in Finland. I'll be in shock if no one drafts him this time around.

Still think Gut and Ivan. Ivan had no support and did quite well on an awful team.

1651418968763.png

And maybe Simon Kubicek who is doing ok on good Oil King's team. He was at Oiler's camp as a walk on.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Here is some guys that have caught my eye at one point or another this year. All these guy I believe have a shot at being drafted - also this isn't a ranking - just an aggregated list of overage guys

RDZach Bookman AJHL
LW/RWDimitri Buchelnikov MHL
CTucker Robertson OHL
RDDavid Spacek QMJHL
CLogan Morrison OHL
LDSamuel Mayer OHL
LD
Graham Sward
WHL
LWMikey Milne WHL
GNick Malik Liiga
CBen King WHL
RWLucas Edmonds OHL
CJeremy Wilmer USHL
RWMatthew Maggio OHL
LDFrederic Brunet QMJHL
CTheo Rochette QMJHL
RDJacob Guevin USHL
C/LWNikita Grebyonkin MHL
LDDavid Guccuardi NCAA
CKyle Jackson OHL
RWConnor Kurth USHL
RWDanil Aimurzin VHL
RDGavin White OHL
C/LWAmadeus Lombardi OHL
RDMiguel Tourigny QMJHL
LW
Daylan Kuefler
WHL
LDJoe Arntsen WHL
CStephen Halliday USHL
CRyan Hofer WHL
C/RWJosh Lawrence QMJHL
LWKevin Engvall HockeyAllsvenskan
CAke Stakkestad HockeyAllsvenskan
LW/CElias Koponen Liiga
C/WRoni Karvinen Liiga
CAlexander Blank DEL
CBennet Rossmy DEL2
CMaxim Krovyakov MHL
W/CIvan Didkovsky MHL
C/WDmitri Katelevsky VHL
CConnor McClennon WHL
LWEric Alarie WHL
RWJames Stefan WHL

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here is some guys that have caught my eye at one point or another this year. All these guy I believe have a shot at being drafted - also this isn't a ranking - just an aggregated list of overage guys

RDZach Bookman AJHL
LW/RWDimitri Buchelnikov MHL
CTucker Robertson OHL
RDDavid Spacek QMJHL
CLogan Morrison OHL
LDSamuel Mayer OHL
LD
Graham Sward
WHL
LWMikey Milne WHL
GNick Malik Liiga
CBen King WHL
RWLucas Edmonds OHL
CJeremy Wilmer USHL
RWMatthew Maggio OHL
LDFrederic Brunet QMJHL
CTheo Rochette QMJHL
RDJacob Guevin USHL
C/LWNikita Grebyonkin MHL
LDDavid Guccuardi NCAA
CKyle Jackson OHL
RWConnor Kurth USHL
RWDanil Aimurzin VHL
RDGavin White OHL
C/LWAmadeus Lombardi OHL
RDMiguel Tourigny QMJHL
LW
Daylan Kuefler
WHL
LDJoe Arntsen WHL
CStephen Halliday USHL
CRyan Hofer WHL
C/RWJosh Lawrence QMJHL
LWKevin Engvall HockeyAllsvenskan
CAke Stakkestad HockeyAllsvenskan
LW/CElias Koponen Liiga
C/WRoni Karvinen Liiga
CAlexander Blank DEL
CBennet Rossmy DEL2
CMaxim Krovyakov MHL
W/CIvan Didkovsky MHL
C/WDmitri Katelevsky VHL
CConnor McClennon WHL
LWEric Alarie WHL
RWJames Stefan WHL
Two others from the USHL I’d add are Luca Fantilli and Nick DeSantis. Their stat-lines aren’t that good, but they stood out this season. Fantilli is a puck moving defenseman that can play in all situations. Good skater. DeSantis is an undersized energy winger with good skating, some puck skills and scoring ability. I think both have tools that could get them to the NHL.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Unsurprisingly, this is a strong year for overagers. Dmitri Buchelnikov, Logan Morrison, and Graham Sward are my favourites—all top-75 on my list. Zachary Bookman is also someone I’d push for in the later rounds.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
With the the lost/abrupted season last year, there were a lot of guys overlooked and undrafted. I think the quality of the overagers this year adds a lot of depth to rounds 3-7 of the draft.

1) Logan Morrison: I had him ranked about #120 in 2020, reminded me a lot of Alex Kerfoot at the time, a valuable, swiss-army knife type of guy that could mesh with skiled forwards. Showed some high-level vision, playmaking and intelligence this season though, so if he adjusts to professional play, the upside could be higher. OHL Playoff MVP.

2) Dmitri Buchnelikov: Talented forward was a surprise non-draftee last year but was playing a depth role with SKA and the Russian u18 team, but looked to have a good enough skillset to be a late 2nd/early 3rd. Buchelnikov has had a stellar sophmore MHL season this year and is on a good trajectory.

3) Ilya Ivantsov: The all-around C made a fantastic adjustment to the VHL this year, scoring at a higher clip than he did last year in the MHL. A bit on the small side for a center and plays a slower pace that might not work in NA, but a very smart player.

4) Tucker Robertson: Admittedly a guy I didn't know about coming in to the year after the lost OHL season. Another good all-around Center that played at a very high level this year despite missing the full previous season. Has a a good genetic base, comes from a family full of athletes. It was his first year at center too, so there might some growth potential here.

5) Kasper Larsen: Hidden away in the top Danish league the past 2 draft-eligible seasons, the 6'6 blueliner plays a steady game with good mobility and is a great decision maker at both ends of the ice. A personal favorite of mine, but very reliable and smart, and I think he projects well to the professional levels.

6) Samuel Mayer: Mayer played his rookie season in the OHL this year and impressed with his strong 4-way mobility for a big man and showed a surprising offensive side. He looks to have a lot of room to improve.

7) Ivan Zhigalov: Zhigalov is a guy I've seen have some really big games over the years. He's got good size and is a good athletic goaltender. He put his name on the map with a solid middle stretch of the season, but he struggled to end the year. After the TPG game, he had a couple poor outings in the Q and Sherbrooke ran with a 20-year old goalie the rest of the way. He was re-drafted in the import draft by Kingston but Dinamo Minsk also traded for his rights in the KHL, so I'm not sure where he is headed next year.

8) Yegor Savikov: The smooth puck-moving blueliner was overlooked last year despite leading his MHL team in scoring as a defenseman and as an MHL rookie. Evenly split time between the KHL/VHL/MHL this year, making a smooh transition to VHL and putting up a PPG in the MHL, while being a skate sharpener in the KHL.

9) Ryan Kirwan: Kirwan has a been a surprise non-draftee for me the last two years. He has a lot of good tools; good skating/acceleration, puckhandling, shooting. Could become a solid middle-6 scorer. This year, Kirwan was 3rd on Penn State in points as a freshman and he was the top scoring undrafted u20 player in the NCAA.

10) Avery Hayes: Hayes played briefly off the map last year in the Slovakian 2nd league. But this season, Hayes was a clutch scorer for the OHL Champion Hamilton Bulldogs and showed physicality beyond his measurements. He took his game to another level during the OHL playoffs with 34 points in 16 games.

11) Dominic James: The high-energy James had a solid freshman year with Minnesota-Duluth, finishing 8th in team scoring. Another smart player with a strong understanding of how to play, effective at both ends with strong work ethic. James was also a part of the aborted USA World Juniors team.

And ranked close behind this group, some more guys I like are Mikey Milne, Stephen Halliday, Jimi Suomi, Cole O'Hara, Viljami Juusola, Amadeus Lombardi, Lucas Edmonds, and Trey Taylor. And goalies Thoams Milic, Nick Malik, TJ Semptimphelter, and Simon Latkoczy.

Quite a strong group.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigvonbody

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad