Top 10 Overagers Eligible for the 2022 NHL Draft

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
There were a handful of US Prep School players that didn't play last year. It would supposed to be a good prep crop. Billy Norcross, Tim Delay, Joe Blackley, Matt Fusco, Nick Roukounakis, to name a few.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If you were passed over in the draft, why could you not be signed now?

Just the rules of the CBA. There's a window to sign an undrafted (North American) player before the NHL season starts, but once the window is closed they are back in the draft pool. Here's the CBA section in case you were interested (section 8.9 (b)(ii)):

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he: (a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or (b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.

(iv) The words "eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft" in subparagraph (b) above mean "eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft." The words "the prior season" in subparagraph (i), (ii) and (iii) above mean "a full season prior to the last Entry Draft."

The CBA language always gives me a headache but also gives me a little sympathy for when the Oilers tried to sign Vladimir Tkachev. By the definition of 8.9(b)(ii), it seemed like he was eligible to be signed but a different section of the CBA (8.4) said he wasn't since it said he had to have played the entire year in North America not just part. Here's that chunk:

8.4 Eligibility for Claim. (a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:

(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;

(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;

(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent pursuant to this Agreement;

(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and

(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

So if you were ever wondering why there'll be a handful of 21 year old Europeans drafted every year but 21 year old North American can sign as free agents, it's because the CBA requires an extra year of eligibility for European (trained) players.

An edge case off the top of my head: Czech goalie Josef Korenar went undrafted in his original draft year in 2016. Then he played in the USHL in 2016-17. San Jose was going to draft him in the 7th round but ended up trading that pick to move up in the 6th round. Korenar went undrafted again, but since he played a full season in North America, San Jose could sign him to an ELC that summer even though Korenar could have been 2018 Draft eligible.

Czech defender Radko Gudas went undrafted in 2008 and 2009. He attended Kings prospect camp in the summer of 2009 and impressed. LA would have loved to have signed him to an ELC, but they weren't permitted since he hadn't played in North America yet (Gudas was going to play in the WHL in 2009-10). So Gudas went back to the draft pool and was a 3rd rounder to Tampa in 2010.

And then for a North American comparison, Torey Krug (1991 birthday) went undrafted in 2009-11 and was no longer draft eligible for 2012. So he was free to sign with Boston. Tanner Pearson (1992 birthday) was still eligible one last time for 2012 and was a late first rounder by Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I believe Usov would be eligible to sign as unrestricted free agent.

As I understand it, since Usov played at least one full draft season in North America (looks like he played two), he would no longer be draft eligible and possibly could sign in the spring (although not sure what his KHL contract status is).

Interesting edge case as if there was a player with the same birthday as Usov but hadn't played in North America, they would have one more year of draft eligibility.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
As I understand it, since Usov played at least one full draft season in North America (looks like he played two), he would no longer be draft eligible and possibly could sign in the spring (although not sure what his KHL contract status is).

Interesting edge case as if there was a player with the same birthday as Usov but hadn't played in North America, they would have one more year of draft eligibility.
Yeah, I don't think he is draft eligible. And he is not on any central scouting lists that I have seen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nick DeSantis. Speedy 5’9 forward. Really relentless motor. He’s nearly 1PPG this year in the USHL. His hockey sense may be a little iffy and he’s an undersized winger that’s been passed over twice, but he makes a difference every shift. Reminds me a little of Colin Blackwell. Wouldn’t be a bad round 7 punt.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know the exact rule but you probably have a window to sign players who were passed over in the draft. Once that window is passed they have to go back to the draft

Correct. Flyers did this with Philippe Myers back in 2015. Cut off is, I think, Oct 1st.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jacob Guevin and "Luca Lion" Fantilli among the other USHL over-agers I think should be drafted. Gavin has great sense and good skill. Skating speed isn't too great and defense is average, given undersized. But he should've been drafted last year, and should be again this year. Fantilli a great puck transporter that is efficient in all zones. Another that should've been picked last year and should be again this year.

Reactions: Chainshot

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
What do you think about Stephan Halliday?
Big body with a good numbers. Next Tom Wilson?
Is he play physically?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Trying to gather information on Nikita Parfenyuk. An over-ager by 7 days with good size (6'3", 194). Definitely the type of D who makes sense in the 6th or 7th, unless he has a great 2nd half in OHL the maybe 3rd/4th.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Aidan De La Gorgendiere. He's a double overager but I think he slipped thru the cracks because of COVID and injuries. Lost his mother to cancer a few years ago. Can run a PP, good in all situations. Leadership qualities as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lucas Edmonds is a hard one to predict. He's got good vision, good stickhandler and good passing ability, but he's not super fast/explosive so his lack of size might hold him back.

Probably a good value pick in the 3rd/4th round where you hope you've found a diamond in the rough, but aren't too worried if it turns out he's one of a hundred kids who tore up junior but didn't translate it to the pros.

Reactions: Dominance

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Lucas Edmonds is a hard one to predict. He's got good vision, good stickhandler and good passing ability, but he's not super fast/explosive so his lack of size might hold him back.

Probably a good value pick in the 3rd/4th round where you hope you've found a diamond in the rough, but aren't too worried if it turns out he's one of a hundred kids who tore up junior but didn't translate it to the pros.
There is going to much much better value available in the 3/4 round in comparison to Edmonds. An almost 21 year old in the O feasting on easier matchups, not sure he goes there.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Is Ben King eligible? He has 9 goals and 9 assists in his last 10 games for the Red Deer Rebels. He’s on fire.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Almost every year there are 35 to 45 overagers (players previously eligible to be drafted) who get drafted – 2021 – 36; 2020 – 45, 2019 – 43. This year there is likely to be even more as many draft eligible players for the 2021 draft either didn’t get to play or got to play limited minutes and therefore didn’t get the necessary exposure to NHL scouts. This is particularly true for the goalies. So in a year where the goalie selection of first-time eligibles is underwhelming to say the least, expect to see a plethora of overage goalies taken.

So far, I have 6 overagers in the first 4 rounds with Tucker Robertson followed by Kyle Jackson topping the list. I have listed my own top 10 below for your perusal but I have likely missed some. Please feel free to post your own top 10 list or point out ones that I may have missed.

Overagers

E-Mac

Rank

Name

68G EQ

Pos

Ht

Wt

S

Ctry

League
134Robertson, Tucker (OA1)122C5'10190RCDNOHL
275Jackson, Kyle (OA1)108LW6'2192LCDNOHL
397Milne, Mikey (OA1)103LW5'11185LCDNWHL
4105Malik, Nick (OA2)0.926G6'2174LCZEFIN 1
5107Holt, Braden (OA1)0.918G6'1161LUSAWHL
6109Blomquist, Ian (OA1)0.936G6'2183RSWESWE J20
7129Usov, Ilya (OA3)42C6'1183LBLRKHL
8130Whitehead, Cameron (OA1)0.944G6'3170LUSAUSHL
9132Sward, Graham (OA1)52D6'2181LCDNWHL
10133Guevin, Jacob (OA1)76D5'11181RUSAUSHL
HM134Hardie, James (OA2)86LW6'0183LCDNOHL
HM141Gucciardi, David (OA1)24D6'1194LUSANCAA
HM142Mittelstadt, Luke (OA1)64D5'11174LUSAUSHL
HM166Kurth, Connor (OA1)94RW5'11214RUSAUSHL
HM168Edmonds, Lucas (OA3)125RW5'11185RCDNOHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
you have an update on this? wondering where edmonds stacks up a few months later.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Buchelnikov is my favourite right now, but he barely is an overager. Underrated for sure, I think he was only a week too old to be in this draft? Very dynamic but undersized, exciting player on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00