Top 10 Moments for the Toronto Major Sports in the last 30 years

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nope. Delgado hitting 4 HR. Matthews 4 goals. They were individual moments. Sundin's 500th in OT was an individual moment.

Walk off HR to win the World Series? A bit more then just an individual moment. It's what teams are created for and fans obsess over for generations to see. It was way more of a team moment then anything individual.

Ahhh okay that makes more sense. I think I said individual moments early when really I should say singular moments.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The womens game has arguably been as responsible for much of that growth as well. As has our growth as a country in terms of being multi cultural.

Over time I think soccer takes over most sports in popularity in this country due to both of those factors.

But as of now TFC's biggest moments are still over shadowed by what the big 3 have done for the city and country. TV ratings pretty much prove that as well.

The women's are definitely a contributing factor, but also Jonathan David, Jonathan Osorio, Alphonso Davies, Alessandro Busti, and many more name when it comes to promising Mens players.

I totally get that the TV ratings are still not on par as say a Raptors game 7. But the Altidore goal was still a huge moment and I stand by it being an HM to the top 10 list. I don't think thats a very radical take.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
I still don't understand how Matthews 4 goal regular season debut made the list, I mean it was really impressive no doubt but there's other moments that happened in big time playoff games, that are more worthy of being on the list.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Just be happy we have stuff to argue over.

Imagine doing this list 1984-2014.

Stuff like the raptors beating the 72 win Bulls would be on the list ffs

Yup, this is one of them good problems lol

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I still don't understand how Matthews 4 goal regular season debut made the list, I mean it was really impressive no doubt but there's other moments that happened in big time playoff games, that are more worthy of being on the list.

Even bigger regular season that year....

April 8 2017, Leafs clinch playoff spot in 82 game season of for the first time since 2004. Vs eventual Cup champs (and Phil)

McBackup"s coming in the second when andersen got hurt. Kapenan first NHL goal with 5 minutes to go to tie it. Brown's gets 20th to take lead. That huge save on Crosby by McBackup. Then Matthews 40th into empty net

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If you want a Sundin moment, it should probably be his 500th goal.

I don't even remember the night he broke the franchise record.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I just remember winning. Conference finals and championships. I like trophies and winning more than bat flips and other strange behaviours or moments but if I had to pick some moments I would pick certain Joe Carter home runs because, well, winning. So titles and Carter sealing titles with HRs. ;)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Plus they lost that game which seems to be an easily forgotten fact

Reactions: Plat87

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Just be happy we have stuff to argue over.

Imagine doing this list 1984-2014.

Stuff like the raptors beating the 72 win Bulls would be on the list ffs
That would be like the Globetrotters giving up one to many points showing off then realizing yah screwed the pootch. Only difference being the Generals just lay down and die.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Plus they lost that game which seems to be an easily forgotten fact
You
Seeing the leafs losing ways where not any individual fans fault I believe with this team being who it was and how bad they drafted and so much shit. He restored the Beleaf in us faintly lit sure but on that night there was an ignition finally to a spark of leafs nation. I mean finish last accutally get a first round first pick for the first time since Clark. Came down to skill over size Laine 6'5 goes to a fresh faced organization that just picks a fight of our guys better then yours. Then he goes and does something no one ever has done in there first game. He left us stick a middle finger into the air and say don't stick a fork in us we've just begone.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You can really tell age and viewing preference by the list.

TFC had many moments along the way... a 6-1 must win in Montreal for the Canadian Championship. CONCACAF Champions League. MLS Cup.

Argos as well.

1985 American League East Champs and George Bell’s catch.

Reactions: the squared circle

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
The Bulls were missing Rodman that game so it never seemed quite as monumental to me.
It was a huge upset and awesome moment but I think the Bulls not having their full dominant starting 5 makes it a little less legendary than it is made out to be.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Seeing the leafs losing ways where not any individual fans fault I believe with this team being who it was and how bad they drafted and so much ****. He restored the Beleaf in us faintly lit sure but on that night there was an ignition finally to a spark of leafs nation. I mean finish last accutally get a first round first pick for the first time since Clark. Came down to skill over size Laine 6'5 goes to a fresh faced organization that just picks a fight of our guys better then yours. Then he goes and does something no one ever has done in there first game. He left us stick a middle finger into the air and say don't stick a fork in us we've just begone.

Yes and this is all true. Still does not make it a top 10 Toronto sports moment of all time.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
TFC had many moments along the way... a 6-1 must win in Montreal for the Canadian Championship. CONCACAF Champions League. MLS Cup.

Also the 2017 Quarters when TFC came back at home to beat the Impact with Cheyrou's goal.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
The Bulls were missing Rodman that game so it never seemed quite as monumental to me.
It was a huge upset and awesome moment but I think the Bulls not having their full dominant starting 5 makes it a little less legendary than it is made out to be.

The entire team also had a good time if you know what I mean the night before.

First time in Toronto and MJ wanted to go out. You don't say no to MJ.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Being a Toronto sports fan hasn't been nearly as bad as it's commonly made out to be. And, of course, that's due to some recent developments.
Between 2004-2015, Toronto was probably the worst sports town in this continent. They never won a single playoff series during this stretch, the Jays never made the playoffs, the raps made it 3x but lost in R1 each time, while the Leafs tanked and tanked and tanked, with their only playoff appearance being the 2013 playoffs which as we remember didn't end very well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad