7. Eredivisie
8. Austrian Bundesliga
9. Premiership
10. Russian Premier League

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Shouldn't be the only measuring stick.

But it's the most important one if you want to make a ranking and compare leagues to eachother. If L1 teams (besides PSG) get results in Europe, I'll have no problem bumping them to a higher place up the rankings. I won't do it yet, because they haven't.
La Liga is getting worse, and more boring, but as long as they get results in Europe, like the 7nd ranked team winning the Europa League against the EPL vice-champions, I would still rank them as 2nd best league.

Ranking leagues outside of the top 5 is harder for me though. Plenty of leagues have a huge drop off after 1 or 2 teams (Netherlands with Ajax, Austria with Salzburg, Portugal with Benfica and Porto and now Sporting). Belgian league for instance is way more competitive than those leagues, but I don't know if it's better overall.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think it's pretty inarguable that EPL is the top league. They've had four of the last six CL finalists and three of the last six EL finalists.

After that becomes a question of how you value top end versus depth, results versus entertainment, and things along those lines

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What has happened to put Serie A at 5? Just Lukaku and Ronaldo leaving?
Lack of high end teams combined with some really bad low end teams. Juve and Inter are alright but are below the City’s, PSG’s, Bayern’s or even Atleti. Then I think the upper mid tier teams in La Liga are a little better than Serie A’s.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I dont see how the Buli is 2nd best tbh. Serie A and the german league are meh at the moment. Even in la liga shambles its not far off them if at all. imo

Eh. Bayern are a machine and playing better than PSG so far. When Haaland is healthy Dortmund can beat anyone & go on a run. Leipzig was in the SF just two seasons ago, though they have been poor this season after losing Nagelsmann. Gladbach advanced from a group with Inter & Real last year while finishing midtable. Leverkusen is a threat to win the EL...though they'll invariably botch it. Even Wolfsburg needed a flukey pen & second yellow not to beat Sevilla.

Nevermind the coolest club in football :yo:

I won't argue one way or another, but there aren't many clubs on Bayern's level, there are a bunch of teams behind them that can beat other good teams, and the improved domestic young talent after a handful of weaker generations, is raising all boats.

...even if the bottom of the league looks like it might be weak again, assuming that none of the relegation candidates can go on a run.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I especially lols at the Dortmund going on a run and beating anyone…

They were in the quarterfinals last year and weren't that far from making the SFs; though I think BVB fans over-rated Rose last year, he's better than Terzic. So it really depends on health & Rose finding the right balance for them, but if things line up for them, Haaland could take them even further this year.

Obviously not if he's hurt & they keep playing the way they have been...but if Haaland & Hummels are fit for the knockouts and Rose finds the right balance before then, they have the firepower to turn any tie around.

Like a lot of non-Bayern german teams, when on form they can deliver some really impressive results, but they're just not consistent...so what kind of form you catch them in, really impacts their results.
Does the EFL crack the top ten?

Obviously. Some of those guys are EPL-proven!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Premier League is like the NHL in hockey, non plus ultra. Only a few continental leagues could compete with the Championship either. With League One or Two maybe.

Reactions: cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They had an easy group then narrowly beat Sevilla only to lose next round. They're an ok team nothing more and nothing less. Them having the ability to "beat anyone" is stretching it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Before some liked to claim that the continentals like Real Madrid or Barcelona would be on par, but Leyton Orient would never lose against Transnistrians at home.

Reactions: cgf

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
PSG has invested a lot of money in their challenge, but ultimately they too depend on the Tottenham Hotspur experience of their manager to try and replicate the success in Europe.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy and cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Best in talent
1. EPL
2. Serie A
3. BuLi
4. La Liga
5. Ligue 1

Best in entertainment

1. Ligue 1
2. EPL
3. La Liga
4. Serie A
5. BuLi

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I especially lols at the Dortmund going on a run and beating anyone…

Exactly. We don’t need to go on a run. We can beat anyone at any time.

Also, the QF was closer than the round of 16. We got robbed by a terrible non-goal call against City, and a late goal by City. The Sevilla matchup was over after one half of one game, but we turtled after that to play it safe, which never is a successful strategy. Sevilla didn’t have the athleticism to keep up with our attack.

Last edited:

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Top 5 is pretty obvious. Order can be debated but I would say:

EPL
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue 1
La Liga

But I think that could easily be debated. The next 5 you got the Dutch league, Belgian League, Brazil, Argentina, MLS, Liga MX, Championship, Portugal that could all be debated to varying degrees.
MLS? What? I don't rate the Croatian football league all that high and I'd still put it over MLS. Dinamo would smack everyone there with ease.

Reactions: Rob and Eye of Ra

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean, any team "can beat anyone on a good day". Ffs, Real Madrid just lost to Sheriff Tiraspol. Should we put the Transdniestrian league on the board? I don't want to wade too deep into this because I can't remember the last time I watched a Bundesliga game, but being "able" to beat any team is not a good metric, I'll leave it at that.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
1. Premier League
2. La Liga
3. Serie A
4. Bundesliga
5. Ligue 1
6. Primeira Liga
7. Eredivisie
8. Austrian Bundesliga
9. Premiership
10. Russian Premier League

how is austrian bundesliga better than premiership and russian league?

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
how is austrian bundesliga better than premiership and russian league?

I assume he is referring to the Scottish premiership. A league I really don't rate highly, especially given their European record lately.

turkish league is pretty good. it gets underated
Eh, it's wild more than good. A lot of chaotic football, awful discipline, and whacky matches. Eredivisie is similar in terms of defensive structure, it's no wonder Ajax beats teams 9-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad