Top 10 Leagues Right Now;

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Been a while since we battled it out discussing the top 5-10 leagues in the world.

There have been a lot of moving pieces across the big 5 leagues and beyond, so I'm curious to see what people think at the moment.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd say no more than 3 or 4 posters have watched a game of every of the supposed top 5 leagues this season, so...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I think one and five are pretty solid right now. You can chop and change the rest (2-4, 6-10) in some order and I don't think you can argue too seriously in any direction.

I will say I find it pretty hard to call Scotland a top 10 league when their only two clubs expected to compete in Europe aren't very good.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Top 5 is pretty obvious. Order can be debated but I would say:

EPL
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue 1
La Liga

But I think that could easily be debated. The next 5 you got the Dutch league, Belgian League, Brazil, Argentina, MLS, Liga MX, Championship, Portugal that could all be debated to varying degrees.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

EPL
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue 1
La Liga

But I think that could easily be debated. The next 5 you got the Dutch league, Belgian League, Brazil, Argentina, MLS, Liga MX, Championship, Portugal that could all be debated to varying degrees.
This season?
You need to watch L1 more. In no way is it under Serie A. And arguably BL.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

EPL
Bundesliga
Serie A
Ligue 1
La Liga

Ligue 1 is still an easy #5. I also don't think Liga MX, MLS, or Championship qualify, but like I said, outside of really England (and IMO France), there's an easy argument to make for a wide range of leagues.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This season?
You need to watch L1 more. In no way is it under Serie A. And arguably BL.
Wish I could. ESPN is supposed to be buying the rights so just waiting on that. I have that tier very similar where they’re like 2A/B/C.
Ligue 1 is still an easy #5. I also don't think Liga MX, MLS, or Championship qualify, but like I said, outside of really England (and IMO France), there's an easy argument to make for a wide range of leagues.
Disagree. La Liga is bad and I’d say is an easy 5 while Italy/Germany/France are all the same level for me.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Wish I could. ESPN is supposed to be buying the rights so just waiting on that. I have that tier very similar where they’re like 2A/B/C.

Disagree. La Liga is bad and I’d say is an easy 5 while Italy/Germany/France are all the same level for me.
It's a down year at the top, especially Barcelona, but there's a solid mid-table in Spain (Atleti too obviously) with Sevilla, Betis, Real Sociedad, Villareal that tips it in favor of La Liga.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
EPL
BuLi
Ligue 1
Serie A
La Liga

This is my top 5 in order at the moment. I have Ligue 1 in third since PSG is better than any team in Italy and Serie A did just lose two of their top players to the EPL.

Reactions: Gecklund

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I dont see how the Buli is 2nd best tbh. Serie A and the german league are meh at the moment. Even in la liga shambles its not far off them if at all. imo

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Ligue 1 has definitely improved but I need to see what their teams do in Europa this season before I'm ready to have them overtake La Liga for example. Yeah La Liga is down but Villarreal, Sevilla, Sociedad, Betis.. etc are still doing well in Europe. L1 needs to show me more than they have in the past.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
IMO, this summer has helped EPL separate itself from the other leagues. They brought tons of talents while every other league except L1 lost theirs.
As I said, the coaching has helped Ligue 1 tremendously, but keeping the players and bringing tons of new talent (Messi, Donnarumma, Wij, Ramos, Hakimi, Mendes for PSG, but also Saliba, Guendouzi, Under, Boadu, Stengs, Gerson, Kluivert, Todibo, Sulemana, Santamaria, Majer, Shaqiri, Boateng, Milik, Lirola, Harit, Nubel, etc...) while keeping those who were supposed to leave (Aouar, Doku, Tcouhameni, Kamara, Paqueta, Guimaraes, Denayer, Bade, Boudaoui, Gouiri, etc...).

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ligue 1 has definitely improved but I need to see what their teams do in Europa this season before I'm ready to have them overtake La Liga for example. Yeah La Liga is down but Villarreal, Sevilla, Sociedad, Betis.. etc are still doing well in Europe. L1 needs to show me more than they have in the past.
Shouldn't be the only measuring stick.
Lille for instance has been awful, but that doesn't mean the talent isn't there. And they also dominated Wolfsburg big time in the previous game (and Wolfsburg is higher in the BL than Lille in L1). Monaco should play the CL and was robbed because of the new rule and lack of luck.
Would you say Belgium league = french league and > Bundesliga because of Brugges' results?
Nice isn't in Europe either and they are clearly a very good team this year.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Agreed. And I could easily see Monaco and Marseille crashing out of their groups.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Of the top 5 leagues, I don’t see why the Bundesliga is so highly rated. There is not one good defensive unit in the league and the quality is lacking compared to the PL, Serie A or La Liga. 4th or 5th is right for the Bundesliga. Not even sure the quality of the Bundesliga is better than Ligue 1.

Reactions: cgf

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don’t see Lukaku and Ronaldo leaving as that big a deal I guess. Fit Osimhen and Vlahovic make up for that in entertainment value. Are we talking about entertainment here? Because Serie A is extremely entertaining. Even Mourinho understands you can’t play boring football anymore there.

Reactions: AB13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad