Speculation: Top 10 leading scorers for 2018-2019 - #5

Who will be #5 in points for 2018-2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jun 27, 2005
Top scorer is Marner's centerman, then comes Marner then the opposite winger possibly Marleau.

tokiih

Nov 30, 2017
Voted for Gardiner. He had 52 pts last season and I think he (and Rielly) will benefit from the added offense up front. Edge goes to Gardiner because of contract year.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I can't see a situation where Kap plays above Brown due to the way Babcock sets his lines and honestly he hasn't really done anything to prove he should.

Other than being a better skater I really dont see what Kap does better than Brown. Kap has some really bad tunnel vision when he gets skating at top speed while Brown has good vision and high hockey IQ.

Brown is much more suited for a top 6 role than Kap lol... so many people sleeping on Brown this year will be surprised. He likely plays with Kadri and will get second unit PP time.

I agree that Brown has high hockey IQ, that doesn’t mean he’s suitable for a top 9 role let alone a top 6 role.

What has brown done in his time playing on the top lines (he’s played on all 3 top lines) to make you think people are sleeping on him?

Also, why do you think Kapanen, who has had little to no opportunities on the top lines, should be on the fourth line?

IMO Kapanens high end speed is a huge asset that has not been utilized properly. I think it will this season and once he plays with some skilled players and develops some chemistry with them he will flourish.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I agree that Brown has high hockey IQ, that doesn’t mean he’s suitable for a top 9 role let alone a top 6 role.

What has brown done in his time playing on the top lines (he’s played on all 3 top lines) to make you think people are sleeping on him?

Also, why do you think Kapanen, who has had little to no opportunities on the top lines, should be on the fourth line?

IMO Kapanens high end speed is a huge asset that has not been utilized properly. I think it will this season and once he plays with some skilled players and develops some chemistry with them he will flourish.
I would say Brown is a better playmaker and thinks the game at a faster rate than Kap so far in their careers and it means Brown is a better compliment to more skilled players aka in a top 6 or top 9 role.

Not saying Kap wont get better but if the idea is to ice the best possible team this year I think you will see Brown beside Kadri instead of Kap personally. I think Kap will get better and has not had the opportunity to prove himself but at this point i think Brown is more suited to play with Naz especially considering their past chemistry.

Brown scored 17 ES goals in his rookie season while playing in a shutdown role and now people are completely glossing him over. That is why I think people are sleeping on him. Seems if you had a down year largely due to usage you are now a 4th line player.

I think Kap will be used on the 4th line this year and leafs will try to use his speed to terrorize other teams 4th line with stretch passes.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I would say Brown is a better playmaker and thinks the game at a faster rate than Kap so far in their careers and it means Brown is a better compliment to more skilled players aka in a top 6 or top 9 role.

Not saying Kap wont get better but if the idea is to ice the best possible team this year I think you will see Brown beside Kadri instead of Kap personally. I think Kap will get better and has not had the opportunity to prove himself but at this point i think Brown is more suited to play with Naz especially considering their past chemistry.

Brown scored 17 ES goals in his rookie season while playing in a shutdown role and now people are completely glossing him over. That is why I think people are sleeping on him. Seems if you had a down year largely due to usage you are now a 4th line player.

I think Kap will be used on the 4th line this year and leafs will try to use his speed to terrorize other teams 4th line with stretch passes.
Brown has also played with Auston Matthews, JVR, Bozak, Kadri and Marleau. Brown did not produce that well on the fourth line. Kapanen hasn’t been given that chance yet. Kapanen can also play in a shutdown role and also plays the PK.

I never said Brown is a fourth line player, I said he’s more suitable for it. The fact is we have an abundance of skilled wingers that can play in the top 9 and there isn’t room for everyone. I really like Connor Brown. I just think Kapanen can make a skilled line even more dangerous and I also think he has the higher potential. Why not try to tap into that a bit?

At the end of the day this is just predictions and for fun so I could also be totally wrong.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Brown has also played with Auston Matthews, JVR, Bozak, Kadri and Marleau. Brown did not produce that well on the fourth line. Kapanen hasn’t been given that chance yet. Kapanen can also play in a shutdown role and also plays the PK.

I never said Brown is a fourth line player, I said he’s more suitable for it. The fact is we have an abundance of skilled wingers that can play in the top 9 and there isn’t room for everyone. I really like Connor Brown. I just think Kapanen can make a skilled line even more dangerous and I also think he has the higher potential. Why not try to tap into that a bit?

At the end of the day this is just predictions and for fun so I could also be totally wrong.
Ya Brown didn't produce well on the 4th line but the 4th line he played on at the start of the year was horrible. A lot worse than what Kap played with.

I'm not saying Kap wont be the better player, he very well could. I'm just saying for this upcoming year I think I would rather Brown play with Kadri than Kap due to past chemistry and Brown being a better playmaker which suits Kadri's style better.

Part of the reason I think Brown will play with Kadri is because I think Babcock will do so.

I would like to see Kap given a chance to take Patty's spot when he leaves in a few years but for now he can play 4th line minutes and PK with some PP depending on injuries. Would also help keep Kap's point totals down so his next contract is cheap.

Reactions: Leafs1993

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Ya Brown didn't produce well on the 4th line but the 4th line he played on at the start of the year was horrible. A lot worse than what Kap played with.

I'm not saying Kap wont be the better player, he very well could. I'm just saying for this upcoming year I think I would rather Brown play with Kadri than Kap due to past chemistry and Brown being a better playmaker which suits Kadri's style better.

Part of the reason I think Brown will play with Kadri is because I think Babcock will do so.

I would like to see Kap given a chance to take Patty's spot when he leaves in a few years but for now he can play 4th line minutes and PK with some PP depending on injuries. Would also help keep Kap's point totals down so his next contract is cheap.

Could happen this way too. Really hope he gets more opportunity this year.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
My prediction:

Matthews - 80-90 points
Tavares - 80-90 points
Marner - 80-90 points
Nylander - 70-80 points
Kadri - 50-60 points
Rielly - 50-60 points
Marleau - 40-50 points
Gardiner - 40-50 points
Hyman - 40-50 points