Speculation: Top 10 leading scorers for 2018-2019 - #5

Who will be #5 in points for 2018-2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Who do you think will be #5 in points this season? I will do a poll for the next 4 nights to find out the top 10 in points based on your predictions. Might be fun to look back at the end of the season.

1: Auston Matthews (47.2% 51 votes)
2: John Tavares (50% 46 votes)
3: Mitch Marner (87.8% 108 votes)
4: William Nylander (89.6% 60 votes)
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Nylander takes the fourth vote with ease. Now it gets interesting.

My prediction is Nazem Kadri has another 60+ season with 60-65 points. He will have some new line mates to get used to in Kapanen and Johnsson, and losing a quality winger in Marner on his right side definitely will hurt him a bit. However, Kadri will be playing with a very quick and tenacious line that will be great defensively. Kadri can also have a lot easier matchups too with top lines drawn towards Matthews / Tavares.

Also added Josh Leivo, Par Lindholm, Travis Dermott, Tyler Ennis, Connor Brown and Ron Hainsey.

Edit: Kadri had 55 points last season, not 60 :ha:

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm going to take a bolder guess and choose Marleau. If he hits it off with Matthews and Nylander and stays on that line, that could be a decent boost for him.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Who do you think will be #5 in points this season? I will do a poll for the next 4 nights to find out the top 10 in points based on your predictions. Might be fun to look back at the end of the season.

1: Auston Matthews (47.2% 51 votes)
2: John Tavares (50% 46 votes)
3: Mitch Marner (87.8% 108 votes)
4: William Nylander (89.6% 60 votes)
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Nylander takes the fourth vote with ease. Now it gets interesting.

My prediction is Nazem Kadri has his 3rd 60+ season in a row with 60-65 points. He will have some new line mates to get used to in Kapanen and Johnsson, and losing a quality winger in Marner on his right side definitely will hurt him a bit. However, Kadri will be playing with a very quick and tenacious line that will be great defensively. Kadri can also have a lot easier matchups too with top lines drawn towards Matthews / Tavares.

Also added Josh Leivo, Pars Lindholm, Travis Dermott, Tyler Ennis, Connor Brown and Ron Hainsey.
I feel like Kadri didn't score 60 points this past year

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
My predictions so far:

1. Auston Matthews 80-85 points
2. Mitch Marner 75-80 points
3. John Tavares 75-80 points
4.William Nylander 70-75 points
5. Nazem Kadri 60-65 points

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Johnsson

(I'm gambling Babs will realize Hyman has Johnsson's spot.... don't like my chances)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Is Kapanen and Johnsson even confirmed to be on Kadri's wings, or is it just wishful thinking on some peoples behalf?

I doubt both will be, because babcock needs to find a spot for brown and Babcock always says ‘tie goes to the vet’ witch brown is compared to Kapanen and Johnson. Imo browns had his chance to show what he can do with skilled players time to see what we have in kap and Johnson with kadri

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Is Kapanen and Johnsson even confirmed to be on Kadri's wings, or is it just wishful thinking on some peoples behalf?
Nothing is confirmed until training camp of course, more like a process of elimination. With Tavares' pitch, Babs proposed a lineup with Marleau, Hyman, Nylander and Marner taking up the top 2 lines winger position. You look at the left and the right side and arguably next in line is Johnsson on the left and Kapanen or Brown on the right. (Brown imo will be the 3rd RW with Kadri)

They could end up on the 4th line but then who goes on 3rd with Kadri? Leivo or Ennis?

I doubt both will be, because babcock needs to find a spot for brown and Babcock always says ‘tie goes to the vet’ witch brown is compared to Kapanen and Johnson. Imo browns had his chance to show what he can do with skilled players time to see what we have in kap and Johnson with kadri

Ah yes the 24 year old vet :P
I still think Brown deserves to be ahead of Kapanen even with his down year last year.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
They could end up on the 4th line but then who goes on 3rd with Kadri? Leivo or Ennis?

It should either be Leivo & Brown or Johnsson & Kapanen winging for the 3rd line, as each would be complimentary with each other. Ennis hasn't been able to hit the net even at 2017-2018 Komarov number 3 years straight. barring a miracle return to his form of 4 years ago, he should be 13th forward at best.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wanted to go with Kadri but I went Marleau because he's going to be with Matthews and Nylander and if that line stays healthy it can't be stopped

Reactions: Elephanto

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Went Marleau. I don't see Kadri getting the PP time that he use to.

Reactions: Elephanto

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Becomes much tougher from this point onwards, but voted Kadri. In particular, 5 vs 5 linemates aren't completely certain, yet I believe he'll find his way and remain productive.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marleau is scheduled to play alongside Matthews and Nylander and that should boost his point potential.

Kadri is being demoted down the lineup from #2C to #3C and a more checking role and losing Marleau and Marner and getting Johnsson, Kappy or Brown on his wings..

Marleau should beat out Kads for points.

Reactions: Leafs1993

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I don't think Marleau and Kadri score many points without Marner, so Rielly has a good chance for 5th place.
But I voted for Josh Leivo, playing on the second line with Tavares and Marner all season long.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I can't see a situation where Kap plays above Brown due to the way Babcock sets his lines and honestly he hasn't really done anything to prove he should.

Other than being a better skater I really dont see what Kap does better than Brown. Kap has some really bad tunnel vision when he gets skating at top speed while Brown has good vision and high hockey IQ.

Brown is much more suited for a top 6 role than Kap lol... so many people sleeping on Brown this year will be surprised. He likely plays with Kadri and will get second unit PP time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I voted Kadri as he is going to get a ton of PP time this year if his ES ice time is reduced. The guy just scores goals on the PP like it is going out of style and honestly he won't be covered as closely as Matthews, JT etc so should be a good option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad