Top-10 goal-scorers of all-time

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
No I'm not suggesting that he's a better goal scorer than those two. I'm saying that he doesn't get enough credit for this number on these boards.

Yes, and Bure has the third best career GPG number of all time.
But let's keep in mind that Bure played his last game shortly after his 32nd birthday. Had he played as long as Gretzky, he wouldn't be No. 3 all-time in goals per game.

Dec 1, 2006
British Columbia
But let's keep in mind that Bure played his last game shortly after his 32nd birthday. Had he played as long as Gretzky, he wouldn't be No. 3 all-time in goals per game.

lots of the best players of all time retired in their early 30's. Not everyone is able to stretch their career an extra 5 years by playing on the 4th line like Mark Messier for example.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Let's also keep in mind what I said earlier in the thread.:

Yes his career was cut short and it's possible that his GPG ratio would have declined but he never showed any signs of slowing down, even after many knee surgeries. I believe he even could've increased his GPG ratio playing in the new NHL which is basically made for players like Bure.

Same argument could be made for Bossy. Even more so since his career ended just before the game started to get more defensive when it's the exact opposite for Pavel.

Another stat for you:

Bure's 58 goal season (99-00)
GPG: 0,784
GPG leaguewise per team: 2,747
Panthers GPG: 2,976

GPG/GPG leaguewise per team: 28,5%
GPG/Panthers GPG: 26,3%

Gretzky's 92 goal season (81-82)
GPG: 1,150
GPG leaguewise per team: 4,029
Oilers GPG: 5,213

GPG/GPG leaguewise per team: 28,5%
GPG/Oilers GPG: 22,1%

In words: He scored the same percentage of the goals that were scored each game leaguewise as Gretzky did and a whole lot more of the goals scored by his team each game.

In simpler words: Statistically his 58 goal season is a better achievement than Gretzky's 92 goal season when we're taking into account how much harder it was to score in 1999-00 than it was in 1981-82. He actually would have had a higher GPG than Gretzky had if we're translating his GPG to the 1981-82 season.

This alone should get him in the top 10 if we're talking goal scoring ability.

Last edited:

Ogopogo*

So If Gretz gets 3 goals and 4 assists in a 9-5 drubbing of Winnipeg and then the next night in Boston in a 3-3 tie gets 1 assist and is a minus 2, I guess under your "system" thats better than Lafleur getting a goal and an assist in a 9-2 win against Washington and then 1 goal and 2 assists in 3-2 win in Boston...but I digress.

Actually chooch, Gretzky might score four against the Kings one night then put 5 in on the Flyers the next. When did Guy ever score 9 times in two games? Even in back to backs with the Capitals and Seals he couldn't pull that one off.

Nice try, keep up the good work. ;)

chooch*

Actually chooch, Gretzky might score four against the Kings one night then put 5 in on the Flyers the next. When did Guy ever score 9 times in two games? Even in back to backs with the Capitals and Seals he couldn't pull that one off.

Nice try, keep up the good work. ;)

My point which you misssed is that its the quality of your scoring and when you score and who you score against that is important. Records are for kids to fawn over. NIce try dodging my question.

Guy cared more about winning then getting attention by scoring "9 times in 2 games". I dont think Bowman would let him score "9 goals in 2 games" if it meant he had by far the most even strength goals against in hockey history. Or plainly hanging out at centre.

Not to mention http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJZQXFMHFU

or moments like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEajdo2sVnw

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72oxwUo1T9E

:shakehead no wonder McSorley was always there.

Last edited by a moderator:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
And Bossy retired a couple months after turning 30.
But Bossy also set a record for consecutive 50-goal seasons and won the Conn Smythe Trophy. And, in perhaps his most impressive accomplishment (something far more impressive than what Bure ever did) Bossy had 61 goals in 72 playoff games from 1980 to 1983.

Playoffs are what counts, period. And in the last three years of the Islanders' dynasty, Bossy's goals-per-game pace increased from the regular season to the post-season. In the fourth year, his pace was down very marginally.

Bure never accomplished any of these things.

BTW, the best goal scorers ever, IMO, are Rocket Richard and Bobby Hull. Rocket Richard is the best clutch goal scorer ever, and in the end, the best goal scorer ever is the guy most likely to get the goal(s) in the big game. Hull's combo of speed, shooting ability and instincts is unmatched.

Last edited:

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
The problem I have with Firsov is that he played on a world class Soviet team in World Championship's against 2nd and 3rd tier players. How can you say he's one of the best goal scorers of all time when the best Canadian and American players were still playing for their NHL teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Actually I have a hard time excepting any Russian player from the Soviet era because of the fact they never played the best from the West other then the 72 Summit series or the late 70's early 80's when the Red Army did NHL tours. The best NHL teams smoked them. If it wasnt for Tretiak they wouldnt have had a chance.

The best American players? Hmmm...

Yeah, of course Firsov never proved himself. Just like Dryden and F. Mahovlich (and Ratelle, Gilbert etc.) didn´t prove they could play well against the Soviets, eh?

You might think that Sweden and Czechoslovakia were 2nd and 3rd tier, but that´s your opinion. Team Canada ´76 players might disagree with that one.

Tretiak had his good nights and his bad nights.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
But Bossy also set a record for consecutive 50-goal seasons and won the Conn Smythe Trophy. And, in perhaps his most impressive accomplishment (something far more impressive than what Bure ever did) Bossy had 61 goals in 72 playoff games from 1980 to 1983.

Playoffs are what counts, period. And in the last three years of the Islanders' dynasty, Bossy's goals-per-game pace increased from the regular season to the post-season. In the fourth year, his pace was down very marginally.

Bure never accomplished any of these things.
That's a great accomplishment, no doubt. But again, think about how that translates to the era Bure played in.

Compare his 17 goals in 18 games playoff year in 1980-81 with Pavel Bure's 16 goals in 24 games in 1993-94.

Bossy
GPG: 0,944
Islanders GPG: 5,389

GPG/Islanders GPG: 17,5% (Regular season: 19,4%)

Bure
GPG: 0,667
Canucks GPG: 3,167

GPG/Canucks GPG: 21,1% (Regular season: 23,8%)

Again this shows that Bure scored more of his teams goals per game than Bossy did in their respective best playoff years. It also shows that both of them scored less of their teams goals each game than in the regular season.

You always have to take into account how much harder it was to score when Bure played than it was when Bossy played. I'm not doing this to take anything away from Bossy, I'm doing this because Bure gets way too little credit here from some of you guys.

Last edited:

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
A method that just basically awards points for where you place in the league goal scoring race, if I recall correctly. That doesn't really account for much of anything.

interesting.....

1 place - 10pts
2 place - 9pts
10 place - 1pts

Player | POS | "TOP 10 G" Points
Howe Gordie | RW | 144
Hull Bobby | LW | 114
Richard Maurice | RW | 110
Stewart Nels | C | 79
Esposito Phil | C | 79
Gretzky Wayne | C | 75
Bossy Mike | RW | 73
Denneny Cy | LW | 68
Beliveau Jean | C | 67
Morenz Howie | C | 66
Lindsay Ted | LW | 64
Lemieux Mario | C | 64
Conacher Roy | LW | 61
Dye Babe | RW | 60
Mahovlich Frank | LW | 60
Jagr Jaromir | RW | 58
Cook Bill | RW | 56
Geoffrion Bernie | RW | 53
Mikita Stan | C | 53
Dionne Marcel | C | 51
Hull Brett | RW | 50
Conacher Charlie | RW | 50
Lafleur Guy | RW | 49
Bure Pavel | RW | 44
Ullman Norm | C | 43
Bondra Peter | RW | 42
Drillon Gordie | RW | 42
Hextall Bryan Sr. | RW | 42
Yzerman Steve | C | 41
Selanne Teemu | RW | 40

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Dif. "TOP 10 G" Points - "TOP 10 AST" Points

Player | POS | "TOP 10 G" Points | "TOP 10 AST" Points | DIF
Richard Maurice | RW | 110 | 12 | 98
Hull Bobby | LW | 114 | 27 | 87
Stewart Nels | C | 79 | 8 | 71
Bossy Mike | RW | 73 | 14 | 59
Dye Babe | RW | 60 | 8 | 52
Mahovlich Frank | LW | 60 | 8 | 52
Hull Brett | RW | 50 | | 50
Conacher Roy | LW | 61 | 12 | 49
Conacher Charlie | RW | 50 | 6 | 44
Bure Pavel | RW | 44 | | 44
Bondra Peter | RW | 42 | | 42
Cook Bill | RW | 56 | 16 | 40
Henry Camille | LW | 38 | | 38
Geoffrion Bernie | RW | 53 | 20 | 33
Drillon Gordie | RW | 42 | 9 | 33
Hextall Bryan Sr. | RW | 42 | 9 | 33
Goulet Michel | LW | 36 | 3 | 33
Leclair John | LW | 33 | | 33
Robitaille Luc | LW | 33 | 1 | 32
Kerr Tim | RW | 32 | | 32
Dillon Ceece | RW | 36 | 8 | 28
Kurri Jari | RW | 33 | 5 | 28
Jackson Busher | LW | 38 | 11 | 27
Martin Rick | LW | 27 | | 27
Mcdonald Lanny | RW | 27 | | 27
Cournoyer Yvan | RW | 25 | | 25
Smith Sid | LW | 25 | | 25
Selanne Teemu | RW | 40 | 16 | 24
Tkachuk Keith | LW | 24 | | 24
Mogilny Alexander | RW | 23 | | 23
Kovalchuk Ilya | LW | 22 | | 22
Neely Cam | RW | 22 | | 22
Nieuwendyk Joe | C | 22 | | 22
Shutt Steve | LW | 22 | | 22
Denneny Cy | LW | 68 | 47 | 21
Malone Joe | C | 34 | 13 | 21
Cain Herb | LW | 28 | 8 | 20
Carr Lorne | RW | 23 | 3 | 20
Hejduk Milan | RW | 20 | | 20
Iginla Jarome | RW | 20 | | 20

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
interesting.....

1 place - 10pts
2 place - 9pts
10 place - 1pts

Player | POS | "TOP 10 G" Points
Howe Gordie | RW | 144
Hull Bobby | LW | 114
Richard Maurice | RW | 110
Stewart Nels | C | 79
Esposito Phil | C | 79
Gretzky Wayne | C | 75
Bossy Mike | RW | 73
Denneny Cy | LW | 68
Beliveau Jean | C | 67
Morenz Howie | C | 66
Lindsay Ted | LW | 64
Lemieux Mario | C | 64
Conacher Roy | LW | 61
Dye Babe | RW | 60
Mahovlich Frank | LW | 60
Jagr Jaromir | RW | 58
Cook Bill | RW | 56
Geoffrion Bernie | RW | 53
Mikita Stan | C | 53
Dionne Marcel | C | 51
Hull Brett | RW | 50
Conacher Charlie | RW | 50
Lafleur Guy | RW | 49
Bure Pavel | RW | 44
Ullman Norm | C | 43
Bondra Peter | RW | 42
Drillon Gordie | RW | 42
Hextall Bryan Sr. | RW | 42
Yzerman Steve | C | 41
Selanne Teemu | RW | 40

Ha ha ha. Thanks, pnep. Let's compare that to Pogo's list:

1 Gordie Howe
2 Bobby Hull
3 Maurice Richard
4 Phil Esposito
5 Wayne Gretzky
6 Mike Bossy
7 Cy Denneny
8 Cecil Dye
9 Nels Stewart
10 Mario Lemieux
11 Howie Morenz
12 Jean Beliveau
13 Charlie Conacher
14 Brett Hull
15 Roy Conacher
16 Jaromir Jagr
17 Bill Cook
18 Frank Mahovlich
19 Ted Lindsay
20 Pavel Bure
21 Stan Mikita
22 Guy Lafleur
23 Bernie Geoffrion
24 Marcel Dionne
25 Teemu Selanne

Pretty close! Some guys a few spots higher or lower. Maybe Pogo gives extra credit for leading the league? We can figure this out.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I'd like to learn more about your actual formula moneyp.

It sounds very interesting.

Ayman: It's the individual player's goals per game in a specific season standardized to weighted average of every player's (except for goaltenders, of course) indvidual goals per game in that season and the grouped standard deviation of every player's individual goals per game in that season. You can than apply the individual's standard deviation score to any context -- to find the equivalent of Maurice Richard's "50 in 50" year applied to 2006, for example (which would be 56 goals in 82 games, if you were curious).

The benefit of this is that it basically measures how difficult it is for a player to score a goal in a game in any given league environment. Everything is intrinsically figured in: league difficulty scoring, ice time, percentage of time on the power play, etc., because those factors all effect the standard deviation of individual goals per game. It even manages to consider league strength (which I didn't necessarily expect), because the weaker the center is, the better the higher-end guys look, which also impacts the standard deviation.

For the top 100 goal-scoring seasons list I did, I applied every player's standard deviation score to an "average" NHL season, but really, it can be applied to any context.

I've done the same for assists as well, using the same method. I want to do it for goaltenders, but I would like to work on a method of adjusting games and minutes played, first.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Pogo's list uses only the top 7, and gives a bonus for leading by +25% and +50%, iirc.

I know it would take a lot more work but I figure the best way around giving the guy in 8th or 11th zero points, would be to compare everybody to the guy that finished 2nd.

Example
1st: 50 goals = 1.25
2nd: 40 goals = 1
3rd: 40 goals = 1
4th: 30 goals = 0.75
12th: 19 goals = 0.475

Gordie Howe = 21.76 for a 26 year career or 0.837 a year

Ogopogo*

What is so obviously missing?

Not the specifics, but I think I generally got it. X amount of points for finishing first in the league, X amount of points for finishing second in the league, X amount for third, etc. etc.

If I'm wrong, please feel free to enlighten me.

I re-read your post and it is a single season table - my mistake. I saw Brett Hull at immediately discounted the findings based on my belief it was a career table. When I have some time, perhaps I will analyze further but, I do agree that Hull's 1991 season is the greatest goal scoring season of all time.

As you spoke about on page one of this thread, your formula calculates goals per game for the league and compares that with goals per game by player to find your numbers. Fair enough but, when the game is fundamentally changed then your numbers get skewed. What I mean is, the first line players in some eras played 30-40 minutes per game while today, a first liner only plays 20-25. That would skew goals per game data.

Why I did my ratings the way I did them is because there are so many variables that change from year to year so, the only fair comparison between players is the players in any one particular season. They all have the same rules, ice time, goals per game etc. to deal with. So, when you compare the players in one season against each other and use a system that can do that for all seasons, without bias, (i. e. points inverted based on where you finish in scoring) then you get a more fair comparison. It is a way of comparing within a season but also a way that levels the playing field to compare across eras.

When winning a goal scoring crown in 1933 becomes the same as winning a goal scoring crown in 1993 (provided no extreme circumstances exist - like one player finishing more than 25% ahead of the pack) then you can more accurately compare players across eras. When you assume a goal scoring crown in the NHL is a different thing from year to year, you run into problems, IMO.

The math may be correct in your findings but, math alone cannot filter out the different variables from year to year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogopogo*

Pogo's list uses only the top 7, and gives a bonus for leading by +25% and +50%, If I recall correctly.

I know it would take a lot more work but I figure the best way around giving the guy in 8th or 11th zero points, would be to compare everybody to the guy that finished 2nd.

Example
1st: 50 goals = 1.25
2nd: 40 goals = 1
3rd: 40 goals = 1
4th: 30 goals = 0.75
12th: 19 goals = 0.475

Gordie Howe = 21.76 for a 26 year career or 0.837 a year

I am working on expanding my system to include more than just the top 7. When I have the time to complete it, I will post the results.

Ogopogo*

My point which you misssed is that its the quality of your scoring and when you score and who you score against that is important. .

So, when Guy played in a much smaller NHL against the Seals, Rockies, Capitals, Islanders, Kings, North Stars and other equally putrid expansion teams - in a league watered down by NHLers leaving to play in the WHA - that was completely legitimate? If I take the time to figure it out, I suspect that Lafleur played a higher percentage of his games against horrible teams than did Gretzky.

How do you explain Lafleur playing in the 3rd period of a 10-3 game against the Capitals? Did Scotty say "Go out there but, for God's sake, DO NOT score".

You do have a strong argument. :shakehead

Hockeyfan6781

Mar 2, 2003
Hamburg, NY
Dif. "TOP 10 G" Points - "TOP 10 AST" Points

Player | POS | "TOP 10 G" Points | "TOP 10 AST" Points | DIF
Richard Maurice | RW | 110 | 12 | 98
Hull Bobby | LW | 114 | 27 | 87
Stewart Nels | C | 79 | 8 | 71
Bossy Mike | RW | 73 | 14 | 59
Dye Babe | RW | 60 | 8 | 52
Mahovlich Frank | LW | 60 | 8 | 52
Hull Brett | RW | 50 | | 50
Conacher Roy | LW | 61 | 12 | 49
Conacher Charlie | RW | 50 | 6 | 44
Bure Pavel | RW | 44 | | 44
Bondra Peter | RW | 42 | | 42
Cook Bill | RW | 56 | 16 | 40
Henry Camille | LW | 38 | | 38
Geoffrion Bernie | RW | 53 | 20 | 33
Drillon Gordie | RW | 42 | 9 | 33
Hextall Bryan Sr. | RW | 42 | 9 | 33
Goulet Michel | LW | 36 | 3 | 33
Leclair John | LW | 33 | | 33
Robitaille Luc | LW | 33 | 1 | 32
Kerr Tim | RW | 32 | | 32
Dillon Ceece | RW | 36 | 8 | 28
Kurri Jari | RW | 33 | 5 | 28
Jackson Busher | LW | 38 | 11 | 27
Martin Rick | LW | 27 | | 27
Mcdonald Lanny | RW | 27 | | 27
Cournoyer Yvan | RW | 25 | | 25
Smith Sid | LW | 25 | | 25
Selanne Teemu | RW | 40 | 16 | 24
Tkachuk Keith | LW | 24 | | 24
Mogilny Alexander | RW | 23 | | 23
Kovalchuk Ilya | LW | 22 | | 22
Neely Cam | RW | 22 | | 22
Nieuwendyk Joe | C | 22 | | 22
Shutt Steve | LW | 22 | | 22
Denneny Cy | LW | 68 | 47 | 21
Malone Joe | C | 34 | 13 | 21
Cain Herb | LW | 28 | 8 | 20
Carr Lorne | RW | 23 | 3 | 20
Hejduk Milan | RW | 20 | | 20
Iginla Jarome | RW | 20 | | 20

Nice list except you list Tkachuk, Hejduk and Lecliar... Wheres Gilber Perrault, Brendan Shannahan, and Mats Sundin??? all better goal scorers then those 3

AD

Aug 2, 2005
Bigassofficetower
As you spoke about on page one of this thread, your formula calculates goals per game for the league and compares that with goals per game by player to find your numbers. Fair enough but, when the game is fundamentally changed then your numbers get skewed. What I mean is, the first line players in some eras played 30-40 minutes per game while today, a first liner only plays 20-25. That would skew goals per game data.

Well the changes in the game necessarily affect all players equally, then, depending on each players comparative deviation, the changes in the game from an era to another gets factored in.

Quite ingenious moneyp.

Edit: I'm rethinking what you wrote ogopogo, and I think you might be right about one point.

Maybe by combining your respective formulas it would produce a better result.

Using moneyp's comparative deviation from the curve idea but only using the stats of the top 15 scorers of each year instead of the entire league.

Ogopogo*

Well the changes in the game necessarily affect all players equally, then, depending on each players comparative deviation, the changes in the game from an era to another gets factored in.

Quite ingenious moneyp.

Edit: I'm rethinking what you wrote ogopogo, and I think you might be right about one point.

Using moneyp's comparative deviation from the curve idea but only using the stats of the top 15 scorers of each year instead of the entire league.

If the nature of the game means that first-liners typically will deviate to a greater degree in certain eras than others, then, is it really a fair comparison to players from another era when the nature of the game does not allow for the same degree of deviation?

Ogopogo*

Quite ingenious moneyp.

I posted before I saw your edit. That would make more sense.

chooch*

So, when Guy played in a much smaller NHL against the Seals, Rockies, Capitals, Islanders, Kings, North Stars and other equally putrid expansion teams - in a league watered down by NHLers leaving to play in the WHA - that was completely legitimate? If I take the time to figure it out, I suspect that Lafleur played a higher percentage of his games against horrible teams than did Gretzky.

How do you explain Lafleur playing in the 3rd period of a 10-3 game against the Capitals? Did Scotty say "Go out there but, for God's sake, DO NOT score".

You do have a strong argument. :shakehead

Well....When 99 joined the league it was essentially those lousy teams plus four more lousy WHA teams.

Unlike you I saw those games and no Lafleur didnt play very much in blowouts (on Scottys orders) and he certainly wasnt hopping into his defencemans arms on the 9th goal or standing up on the bench in the last minute like wayne asking scotty for another shift.

"What I mean is, the first line players in some eras played 30-40 minutes per game while today, a first liner only plays 20-25. That would skew goals per game data."

Quite ironic to hear a gretzky fan talking like this :biglaugh:

Your "fair" seasonal system doesnt quite account for that or for Brett Hull tanking in games in Boston but scoring a hattrick against a weak team in a blowout or for ice time or for empty net goals or for hanging at centre waiting like Bure or for plus minus.

I wont even get into your 200% offensc so why play defence "argument".

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Nice list except you list Tkachuk, Hejduk and Lecliar... Wheres Gilber Perrault, Brendan Shannahan, and Mats Sundin??? all better goal scorers then those 3

Player|POS|"TOP 10 G" Points|"TOP 10 AST" Points|DIF
Perreault Gil | C | 15 | 26 | -11
Shanahan Brendan | LW | 19 | | 19
Sundin Mats | C | 13 | 1 | 12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad