Top 10 franchise Mount Rushmores

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
They did this on the NFL network. They counted down the best "Mount Rushmores" per franchise in NFL history. Coaches were allowed on here as well. Basically it was the team that had the most high end talent that were high on the list. Most notably teams with lots of Super Bowls in their history. So it basically came down to who had the best 4 players that they could put on Mount Rushmore. So who would it be here? I am not here to debate the players on each team's Rushmore so much because more than likely we would more or less have the same names, but more where each franchise should be slotted. So what are the top 10?

#1 Montreal - Beliveau, Richard, Lafleur, Harvey
#2 Detroit - Howe, Lindsay, Sawchuk, Yzerman
#3 Pittsburgh - Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin
#4 Boston - Orr, Esposito, Bourque, Schmidt
#5 Chicago - Hull, Mikita, Hall, Toews
#6 Edmonton - Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Fuhr
#7 Islanders - Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Smith
#8 Colorado - Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Mackinnon
#9 Philadelphia - Clarke, Parent, Lindros, Shero
#10 Toronto - Apps, Bower, Keon, Horton

Alright, flame away. Or agree, whatever. Not a lot of separation with the first few.

Reactions: feffan

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Lidstrom has to slot in to Detroit, though I don't know who he'd replace (obviously not Howe). Anyway, Pittsburgh has a looooooooooooooooot of hardware going on.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Edmonton - Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, McDavid

I think it is inevitable he's there soon enough. Right now though, I think the goalie with 5 Cups ought to be.

Lidstrom has to slot in to Detroit, though I don't know who he'd replace (obviously not Howe). Anyway, Pittsburgh has a looooooooooooooooot of hardware going on.

Lidstrom just got caught in a numbers game. Hard to remove anyone from there. Just think, Jacques Plante isn't even on Montreal's list and he could very well be.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Edmonton - Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, McDavid
This is correct!

And I think Boston needs Eddie Shore, so:
Orr, Bourque, Esposito, Shore

If you were just ranking teams in terms of the best 4 individuals (while they were with that team), I think Edmonton or Detroit or Pittsburgh or Boston "wins". Those foursomes are better than the Montreal and Chicago ones.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This is correct!

If you were just ranking teams in terms of the best 4 individuals (while they were with that team), I think Edmonton or Detroit or Pittsburgh or Boston "wins". Those foursomes are better than the Montreal and Chicago ones.

Fair enough. The Montreal one arguably has three players in the top 10 of all-time, plus all 4 of them in the top 25.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think it is inevitable he's there soon enough. Right now though, I think the goalie with 5 Cups ought to be.

Cups are a team accomplishment

Fuhr has but a single Vezina, a single 1st Team All-Star and a single 2nd Team All-Star

That's not better than a Hart, 2 Art Ross, 2 Pearsons, 2 1st Team All-Stars

Simply put, if you were discussing the best players ever, McDavid's name would certainly come up long before Fuhr was ever mentioned

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Forbes ranks #1 The New York Rangers.

(Yeah it's based on monetary value. But, heck, we are talking about franchises!)

Mount Rushmore: Cook, Bathgate Leetch... (this is where it gets contentious, but gotta go with a face worthy of remembering 200 years from now)... Lund- ...uh. ... Messier!

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yea, I don't see any argument for Lindsay or Sawchuk over Lidstrom. Lidstrom was the better player, played more years there, didn't play for another team like the others, and had similar team success. I think Sawchuk is the odd-man out. Played a lot for other franchises, and doesn't have the same iconic status with the team

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This is correct!

Agree completely with Boston. Shore in for Schmidt

For Edmonton I'd have Coffey instead of Kurri

Reactions: Neutrinos

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For Edmonton I'd have Coffey instead of Kurri
Kind of a toss-up. Coffey was the best defenceman for a couple years, but Kurri was also the best right wing for a few years. Super clutch player (which Coffey was not always), left the Oilers as the top goal scorer in NHL playoff history. Also 10 seasons Kurri, seven Coffey.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Lidstrom just got caught in a numbers game. Hard to remove anyone from there. Just think, Jacques Plante isn't even on Montreal's list and he could very well be.

Yea, I don't see any argument for Lindsay or Sawchuk over Lidstrom. Lidstrom was the better player, played more years there, didn't play for another team like the others, and had similar team success. I think Sawchuk is the odd-man out. Played a lot for other franchises, and doesn't have the same iconic status with the team

I guess it's a "best versus greatest" kind of thing, because Lidstrom could technically supplant Yzerman if we're talking about best players for the Red Wings franchise.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Cups are a team accomplishment

Fuhr has but a single Vezina, a single 1st Team All-Star and a single 2nd Team All-Star

That's not better than a Hart, 2 Art Ross, 2 Pearsons, 2 1st Team All-Stars

Simply put, if you were discussing the best players ever, McDavid's name would certainly come up long before Fuhr was ever mentioned

Fair enough, in 2019 it probably is still Fuhr though as far as iconic status in Edmonton. Give it time, probably a very short time, and McDavid is on that mount for sure. He obviously will be there, I just don't think today yet.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I guess it's a "best versus greatest" kind of thing, because Lidstrom could technically supplant Yzerman if we're talking about best players for the Red Wings franchise.

People will associate Yzerman as "the" Red Wing from that era over Lidstrom. Same reason why I thought Milt Schmidt might belong over Shore. Schmidt was a player but a coach/GM for a while.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Fair enough, in 2019 it probably is still Fuhr though as far as iconic status in Edmonton. Give it time, probably a very short time, and McDavid is on that mount for sure. He obviously will be there, I just don't think today yet.

Arbitrary timeline is arbitrary

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Why is Fuhr being given credit for 5 Cups?

Just to point out that Grant Fuhr in fact won only 4 Cups. He wasn't there in 1990.

Is his name not on the Cup in 1990? Because it ought to be. It is true he was injured and Ranford filled in for him in the 1990 playoffs. Remember, his suspension didn't start until September 1990 where he missed most of the season, but he was on the team for the 1989-'90 season. He was just hurt for a lot of it.

His record in 1990 was 9-7-3. He was a starter for 4 Cups, but he has 5 to his name even if he didn't play a whole lot in 1990.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad