Top 10 Flyers Fighters In The Last 20 Years

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fighting has gone down so much this decade that it actually makes it tougher to get a list together in this time frame. You can basically count on both hands the amount of skilled fighters left in the game these days. All of them would pretty much be considered middleweights if fighting was still prevalent like it used to be.

————————
Here’s an all time Flyers fight win percentage leaders according to dropyourgloves.com.

1. Eric Lindros 69% (47 career fights)
2. Behn Wilson 66% (51 career fights)
3. Donald Brashear 64% (64 career fights)
4. Dave Brown 63% (163 career fights)
5. Glen Cochrane 63% (70 career fights)
6. Jack McIhargey 63% (37 career fights)
7. Dave Hoyda 63% (32 career fights)
8. Chris McAllister 61% (28 career fights)
9. Keith Primeau 61% (24 career fights)
10. Craig Berube 60% (125 career fights)
11. Tim Kerr 60% (32 career fights)
12. Rick Tocchet 59% (159 career fights)
13. Dave Schultz 59% (129 career fights)
14. Rich Sutter 59% (42 career fights)
15. Mel Bridgeman 58% (104 career fights)
16. Wayne Simmonds 58% (44 career fights)
17. Shawn Antoski 56% (32 career fights)
18. Darryl Stanley 56% (29 career fights)
19. Ryan McGill 56% (29 career fights)
20. Dan Kordic 55% (68 career fights)

That’s only accounting for fights while with the Flyers & I scaled it to 20 fights as the requirement to make the list.

Philadelphia Flyers - Players with most Fights

Reactions: Appleyard

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Craig Berube
Donald Brashear
Dan Carcillo
Riley Cote
Todd Fedoruk
Chris McAllister
Zac Rinaldo
Jay Rosehill
Tom Sestito
Jody Shelley

edit: oh wait, I posted list of the most useless players... oh wait, they are actually the same list...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I never know how to rank these things, but an interesting thing I was thinking about: was it more insane for guys like the Hammer to throw down in his era against the yard dogs who were everywhere, or was it more insane for guys to throw down when Kocur and Manson and other animals were there? Those guys were downright dangerous - maybe moreso than the guys in the 70s. Not necessarily tougher, but arguably much crazier.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Donald brashear was far from useless

Yeh, Brashear could actually really play hockey... good 4th liner and could fill in on a 3rd line as 3rd wheel too.

Carcillo was also a useful player. He could have maybe even been a good 3rd liner for a decent amount of time if seeing frozen water did not make him go crazy.

The rest though... :laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Looking at that list, Mel Bridgman may have only won 58% of his fights but he didn't lose too many. Draws probably factor mightily in that 42% non wins. And he wasn't an enforcer by definition. One opponent, I think it was Terry O'Reilly, called him the strongest man he ever fought.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I never know how to rank these things, but an interesting thing I was thinking about: was it more insane for guys like the Hammer to throw down in his era against the yard dogs who were everywhere, or was it more insane for guys to throw down when Kocur and Manson and other animals were there? Those guys were downright dangerous - maybe moreso than the guys in the 70s. Not necessarily tougher, but arguably much crazier.

I think the scariest era was the mid-90's... just insanity.

Brown, Probert, Kocur, Brashear, Worrell, Parker, Janssens, Grimson, Manson, Twist, Laraque, McCarthy, Kordic, Berube, Domi, Peluso, Tinordi, Leroux, Mhyres, Laus, McAllister, Chase, Corson...

and Chris Simon. Jeez that guy was just terrifying at his prime. In every way.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
My memory of Fridge is him getting knocked out by Boogaard and Orr in the same year. He was with the Ducks when he got knocked out by Boogaard, though. Poor guy went from the would-be Cup winner to the worst team in the league that year. I also remember him in NHL 07 for the PS2 because the default rosters had him on the first line with Andy McDonald and Selanne. :laugh:

Cote was useless but I remember him two punching Andre Roy

Roy went ape**** on the bench afterwards. Torts had to calm him down, lol. The video's on YouTube but I couldn't get it to embed.

EDIT: Got it

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think the scariest era was the mid-90's... just insanity.

Brown, Probert, Kocur, Brashear, Worrell, Parker, Janssens, Grimson, Manson, Twist, Laraque, McCarthy, Kordic, Berube, Domi, Peluso, Tinordi, Leroux, Mhyres, Laus, McAllister, Chase, Corson...

and Chris Simon. Jeez that guy was just terrifying at his prime. In every way.

Yep, absolutely - maniacs one and all. I didn't really enjoy fighting that much then because I was sincerely worried that someone was going to get killed.

Reactions: Appleyard

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
This is the only fight I can really remember Simmonds getting dominated in. There's probably more that I can't think of though.

He's probably one of our best fighters of ours that I can recall in recent memory, but like has been said, he's not exactly having to go up against the Proberts and Kocurs of the world in this day and age (probably for the best!).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fighting has gone down so much this decade that it actually makes it tougher to get a list together in this time frame. You can basically count on both hands the amount of skilled fighters left in the game these days. All of them would pretty much be considered middleweights if fighting was still prevalent like it used to be.

————————
Here’s an all time Flyers fight win percentage leaders according to dropyourgloves.com.

1. Eric Lindros 69% (47 career fights)
2. Behn Wilson 66% (51 career fights)
3. Donald Brashear 64% (64 career fights)
4. Dave Brown 63% (163 career fights)
5. Glen Cochrane 63% (70 career fights)
6. Jack McIhargey 63% (37 career fights)
7. Dave Hoyda 63% (32 career fights)
8. Chris McAllister 61% (28 career fights)
9. Keith Primeau 61% (24 career fights)
10. Craig Berube 60% (125 career fights)
11. Tim Kerr 60% (32 career fights)
12. Rick Tocchet 59% (159 career fights)
13. Dave Schultz 59% (129 career fights)
14. Rich Sutter 59% (42 career fights)
15. Mel Bridgeman 58% (104 career fights)
16. Wayne Simmonds 58% (44 career fights)
17. Shawn Antoski 56% (32 career fights)
18. Darryl Stanley 56% (29 career fights)
19. Ryan McGill 56% (29 career fights)
20. Dan Kordic 55% (68 career fights)

That’s only accounting for fights while with the Flyers & I scaled it to 20 fights as the requirement to make the list.

Philadelphia Flyers - Players with most Fights

Simmonds has lost no more than 5 fights in his time here. That percentage seems really low.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Emery was one of the toughest fighters I've ever seen. To do it in goalie gear was incredible.

Mike Richards was also one hell of a fighter when he was here.

Reactions: JXC

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Manning is my number one simply because it stops Simmonds from fighting.
In this day and age talent doesn't fight unless it's needed to.
My number two breaks your 10 year rule and is Hextall.
Emery lost a noteworthy nod due to the fight with Holtby(?)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Looking at that list, Mel Bridgman may have only won 58% of his fights but he didn't lose too many. Draws probably factor mightily in that 42% non wins. And he wasn't an enforcer by definition. One opponent, I think it was Terry O'Reilly, called him the strongest man he ever fought.

A lot of guys from that era have some pretty incomplete fight cards because there’s not a lot of video evidence on the internet.

Mel Bridgman Fights

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Tocchet was one of the best of all time. I still remember his throw down with Wendel Clark and he also stood toe to toe with Probert. He also had a good scrap with Cam Neely and you can't forget the playoffs versus Scott Stevens (a remarkable fight by both guys).

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I only remember Lindros losing one fight, it was a few years into his career. He was ridiculous.

But I think Brown was the most dangerous fighter I've ever seen. Being 6'5'' and lefty made him devastating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad