Top 10 defenceman over the past decade

Who have been the top 10 defensemen over the past decade?

• Total voters

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
With the 2010's drawing to an end who would you say have been the top 10 defenceman over the past decade?

(Sorry if I forgot anyone but these were the only ones that I thought were legitimately in the conversation)​

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Chara is kind of a tough one. If this list is 2005-2015 he's basically number 1. But the last 5 years while still a servicable top pairing player, I think you'd be hard pressed to consider him a top 10 over that period.

Reactions: wintersej

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
I was close to adding but him but I believe he played less than 250 games since 2010 so I decided against it.
Fair enough. I guess if you are saying for the decade as a whole then he does not belong. But best who played in the decade, he is certainly still at the top.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
And finished top 5 in Norris voting in every one of them, winning once. Just sayin.

True, but I think he also benefited from reputation voting at that point. He was still good, but he doesn't really stand out from the pack in terms of top end play, so the lack of seasons really hurts him. I think it would be different if he had 3 years of peak level play like McDavid does in the top center poll. I could see the case over a couple low end guys but I doubt he'd get much top 10 support if he was included

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Top 15 in points 09-10 through 18-19:

yH7K9ai.png

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, Suter, Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban are absolute locks to me...Gio/Burns/Letang/Hedman/Chara tossups due to injuries, years of effectiveness, etc. I could be convinced easily one way or another, but hold a gun to my head and those last three are Burns (wild peak, even if slow to start the decade), Hedman (same), Chara (kind of opposite). Gio and Letang should be up there but they've either missed a lot of games or had more off seasons in comparison.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Lidstrom should be on here for sure.

Saying the past decade, but meaning only the 2010s is poor wording. A decade is ten years. So asking about the best dmen over the past decade means this should go back to the 2009/10 season, or even halfway through the 08/09 season I guess technically. I don't care if he only played a few of those years he should absolutely be on the list over guys like Yandle and OEL.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Lidstrom should be on here for sure.

Saying the past decade, but meaning only the 2010s is poor wording. A decade is ten years. So asking about the best dmen over the past decade means this should go back to the 2009/10 season, or even halfway through the 08/09 season I guess technically. I don't care if he only played a few of those years he should absolutely be on the list over guys like Yandle and OEL.
So if I throw you back in 09 and tell you pick a dman for the next decade you would pick 3 years of lidstrom over 10 years of Yandle/OEL?
I highly doubt it

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
True, but I think he also benefited from reputation voting at that point. He was still good, but he doesn't really stand out from the pack in terms of top end play, so the lack of seasons really hurts him. I think it would be different if he had 3 years of peak level play like McDavid does in the top center poll. I could see the case over a couple low end guys but I doubt he'd get much top 10 support if he was included

While I agree with this, the time frame doesn't really allow consideration, I think you'd be surprised by Lidstrom being 69th in scoring from 2009-today. McDavid, meanwhile, is 57th among centers. During this time frame there was 343 centers that played 100 games or more, and 407 defensemen that played 100 games or more.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
While I agree with this, the time frame doesn't really allow consideration, I think you'd be surprised by Lidstrom being 69th in scoring from 2009-today. McDavid, meanwhile, is 57th among centers. During this time frame there was 343 centers that played 100 games or more, and 407 defensemen that played 100 games or more.
Sorry I didn't really explain it well enough. It was meant for it to be the sum total of play from the 2010 NHL season to the present day not just the last decade. This would put Lidstrom 96th amongst defenceman and McDavid 51st amongst centers in that time frame. I'll make sure to explain it/word it better in the next poll .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad