Top 10 D-MEN

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Go back and look at Doughty’s stat lines during both cup runs... same thing Karlsson did and some would have had no problem with him having won MVP that season
You mean that Doughty led his team in scoring, played most minutes out of anyone (on a broken foot) and was the undisputed Conn Smythe favorite according to all media outlets in any of those two runs? I don't seem to recall that... might have to Google it to refresh my memory.

Edit: googled it. Cant seem to find anything like that from a guy named Drew Doughty

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Currently, list who you think are the Top 10 NHL defenders in the league. Think of it this way, if you had to arm your team with a d-man for a game tonight...who would be your first 10 choices?

My list:

1)Doughty
2)Pietrangelo
3)Hedman
4)Josi
5)Keith
6)Karlsson
7)Burns
8)Werenksi
9)Parayko
10)Subban

This is a subjective list of who YOU would want, not who may actually be "the best" in the league.

Werenski and Parayko have no business on this list. Werenski yet, Parayko maybe never.

Burns has fallen off the cliff since last season.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
1. Roman Josi
2. P.K Subban
3. Mattias Ekholm
4. Ryan Ellis
5. Matt Irwin
6. Alexie Emelin
7. Yannick Weber
8. Anthony Bitetto
9. Dante Fabbro
10. Petter Granberg

I dunno I sort of agree with your list.. If we're being honest though Granberg is a much more complete defender than Bitetto. Bitetto is the best offensive defenseman in the league where as Granberg I would peg into that 8th spot instead he's a more complete defender.

Reactions: triggrman

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
You mean that Doughty led his team in scoring, played most minutes out of anyone (on a broken foot) and was the undisputed Conn Smythe favorite according to all media outlets in any of those two runs? I don't seem to recall that... might have to Google it to refresh my memory.

Edit: googled it. Cant seem to find anything like that from a guy named Drew Doughty
Thats funny, I see to remember a 22YO doughty racking up 16pts in route to the cup and 18pts at 24yO in route to the second.... anyone that watched that first run would tell that Kopitar, Brown and Quick were amazing but Drew Doughty was the best player in those playoffs... so nice try but do a little more googling

Reactions: triggrman

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
OEL is soooo overrated. I honestly think he'd be less highly thought of in a bigger market. The guy plays like complete crap and no one is aware. that's why I made the thread about small market players sometimes getting overrated. they get 0 criticism.
OEL shouldn't make a top 50 list right now.

He was really good vs Sens last time around, only time a watched him this season so... Yeah maybe you have a point

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Currently, list who you think are the Top 10 NHL defenders in the league. Think of it this way, if you had to arm your team with a d-man for a game tonight...who would be your first 10 choices?

My list:

1)Doughty
2)Pietrangelo
3)Hedman
4)Josi
5)Keith
6)Karlsson
7)Burns
8)Werenksi
9)Parayko

10)Subban

This is a subjective list of who YOU would want, not who may actually be "the best" in the league.

The bolded will get there someday but currently, they're no where near the top 10. Probably not even top 25 as of right now.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
1. Jay Bouwmeester
2. Kris Russell
3. Brent Seabrook
4. Dan Girardi
5. Roman Polak

top five

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
RIGHT NOW. Repeat. RIGHT NOW

1) Doughty. The ultimate shutdown defenseman who can contribute offensively.
2. Pietrangelo. His game has gone to another level since the Shattenkirk trade. Pretty decent sample size now
3. Hedman. The man can control the game, both offensively and defensively
4. Karlsson. Quietly a good season, not as dynamic as recent years. Is it permanent or not?
5. Josi. Supremely underrated as an offensive player, but his defense is somewhat underwhelming relative to other great D.
6. Suter. Minute mucher who may be regressing
7. OEL. Despite being a below average defender, his offensive game is something special.
8. Subban. Quietly becoming a steady defenseman since leaving la belle province
9. Keith. On the decline. An epitomy of the Hawks franchise
10. Vlasic: Your top line will be rendered useless

On the cusp:
Werenski: Offensive dynamo in the making
Provorov: defensive dynamo in the making
Ekholm: nasty, tough and physical. Your dad's shut down D dman
Dahlin: Ya ya im jumping the gun. But anybody with a computer and connection to the internet will tell you that he will be good.

Notable Omissions:
Letang: something's wrong with him right now
Burns: looking like the next Mike Green. That contract WILL be an anchor.
Weber: probably number 11. Still tough, still mean, still effective, but won't be picked over any of the top 10 guys right now

Reactions: HarrisonFord

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
RIGHT NOW. Repeat. RIGHT NOW

1) Doughty. The ultimate shutdown defenseman who can contribute offensively.
2. Pietrangelo. His game has gone to another level since the Shattenkirk trade. Pretty decent sample size now
3. Hedman. The man can control the game, both offensively and defensively
4. Karlsson. Quietly a good season, not as dynamic as recent years. Is it permanent or not?
5. Josi. Supremely underrated as an offensive player, but his defense is somewhat underwhelming relative to other great D.
6. Suter. Minute mucher who may be regressing
7. OEL. Despite being a below average defender, his offensive game is something special.
8. Subban. Quietly becoming a steady defenseman since leaving la belle province
9. Keith. On the decline. An epitomy of the Hawks franchise
10. Vlasic: Your top line will be rendered useless

On the cusp:
Werenski: Offensive dynamo in the making
Provorov: defensive dynamo in the making
Ekholm: nasty, tough and physical. Your dad's shut down D dman
Dahlin: Ya ya im jumping the gun. But anybody with a computer and connection to the internet will tell you that he will be good.

Notable Omissions:
Letang: something's wrong with him right now
Burns: looking like the next Mike Green. That contract WILL be an anchor.
Weber: probably number 11. Still tough, still mean, still effective, but won't be picked over any of the top 10 guys right now

Better get back to the drawing board.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Seth Jones should be on everyone's list....period.

Watch him play sometime if you have a chance. Werenski is not top 10. Very talented, very dynamic, but not clutch in his own end like Savard, Murray, Johnson, and Jones...just giving you all the CBJ perspective.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m not going to put a list up, this thread has been done too many times.... however; One thing that no one talks about with D men like they do forwards is the ability to make their team mates better. I don’t watch enough of other teams to comment on them, however whomever plays with Doughty always plays significantly better than when they play without him. That’s bears out both in numbers and with the eye test.

Doughty turns his defensive partner into a decent top pairing D–Man, whereas without him they barely look like a second pairing player. Everyone talks about the Kings having a solid defence but without Doughty the back line is average at best.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Based on this season:

Pietrangelo
Hedman
Karlsson
Josi
Doughty
Subban
Jones
Klingberg
Barrie
Ghostisbere

Mostly two way guys at the top who are also having very productive seasons. Then towards the bottom I want guys who can produce a lot of offense from the back end, Klingberg/Barrie/Ghost are 3 of the best this season.
i think youre a little offense heavy, but i see the argument

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad