Top 10 D-MEN

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If we're talking about this season how is Burns on anyone's list? Surprised to see Lindholm left off so many also.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lindholm's only played a handful of games this season. And usually with "top lists" like this, unless you are a true phenom like McDavid or Matthews (and very few young defenders can be that) - it's going to take a little bit of extra sustained dominance to start surpassing known quantities.

These lists will look very different at the end of the season and certainly way different by next fall. Very likely that a few of the younger guys like Lindholm, Slavin, Provorov, etc will have sustained their excellence and proven without question they are to be included in that top tier group by that point in time. That's not to say they aren't already doing it, just that it takes time.

My one quibble is that IMO the best of all the young guns, Seth Jones, probably should be on these lists already. His playing in a small market and lack of offensive flashiness probably works against him but by next year I would be shocked if he's not well-entrenched on everbody's list and perhaps rising towards the top of them.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Currently, list who you think are the Top 10 NHL defenders in the league. Think of it this way, if you had to arm your team with a d-man for a game tonight...who would be your first 10 choices?

My list:

1)Doughty
2)Pietrangelo
3)Hedman
4)Josi
5)Keith
6)Karlsson
7)Burns
8)Werenksi
9)Parayko
10)Subban

This is a subjective list of who YOU would want, not who may actually be "the best" in the league.

Even though you kinda tried to get yourself out of it by saying "this is subjective... might not be who is actually the best.. blah blah blah" you have 0 hockey credence when you have Keith over Karlsson not to mention the numerous other blatent errors in your list. Werenski isnt even the best D-man on his team just because he puts up offensive stats Seth Jones is clearly better than him. Anyways, now that I've gotten that out of the way
1. Karlsson
2. Hedman
3. Doughty
4. Josi
5. Pietrangelo
6. Burns
7. Weber
8. Subban
9. Seth Jones
10. Keith

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Even though you kinda tried to get yourself out of it by saying "this is subjective... might not be who is actually the best.. blah blah blah" you have 0 hockey credence when you have Keith over Karlsson not to mention the numerous other blatent errors in your list. Werenski isnt even the best D-man on his team just because he puts up offensive stats Seth Jones is clearly better than him. Anyways, now that I've gotten that out of the way
1. Karlsson
2. Hedman
3. Doughty
4. Josi
5. Pietrangelo
6. Burns
7. Weber
8. Subban
9. Seth Jones
10. Keith
Pretty close to my ranking as well.

Good job

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Better get back to the drawing board.

I would love Karlsson on my team, but for a game that takes place today, I would take Piets, Doughty or Hedman before him. He's still very effective, but that ankle is raising more questions than answers at this point for a player who has already been criticized by some for losing a step after the Cooke-debacle of '13. He's proven he can improve as a player after a foot injury, let's hope he can do it again

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
1. Karlsson
2. Hedman
3. Doughty
4. Josi
5. Pietrangelo
6. Burns
7. Weber
8. Subban
9. Seth Jones
10. Keith

I'm a fan of Jones, so I commend you for that nomination, but Burns cannot be that high. He lives and dies by his offensive game which has astonishingly disappeared of late. He is definitely not a shutdown defender which makes it hard to justify him as the sixth best defenseman in the world besides it being a reputation vote.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
1) Karlsson AEC IMO
2) Hedman
3) Pietrangelo
4) Subban
5) Doughty
6) josi
7) Keith
8) Klingberg
9) Burns
10) Werenski
HM) Giordano and Rielly (hes played like a top 10 defenceman so far this year. Just tough to justify putting him there without a larger sample size.)

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
1 Subban
2 Slavin
3 Parayko
4 Rielly
5 Hamilton
6 Giordano
7 Brodie
8 Ekman-Larsson
9 Shattenkirk
10 Tanev

Reactions: DriveFor9th

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Coming from a Sens fan and judging by overall play as a defenceman.

1. Doughty
2. Hedman
3. Karlsson
4. Pietrangelo
5. Burns
6. Josi
7. Werenski
8. Jones
9. Keith
10. Subban
11. Reilly
12. Ekman- Larsson

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I'm a fan of Jones, so I commend you for that nomination, but Burns cannot be that high. He lives and dies by his offensive game which has astonishingly disappeared of late. He is definitely not a shutdown defender which makes it hard to justify him as the sixth best defenseman in the world besides it being a reputation vote.
On further review you are probably right, although I would point out that Burns' advanced metrics don't have him that far off from his previous years.. Basically he still drives a lot of offensive possession stats but the team around him is just straight garbage other than Couture, Hertl and Doonskoi. But reputation aside, him and Weber probably could be further down the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad