Too Painful to Watch

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
My original post where I talked about assigning the C didn't say that. 2nd post was my opinion. "Lazar is better captain" =/= "Lazar should be given the C out of junior."

Come on, man. Seriously? Lmaoooooooooo.

Your nitpicking reminds me of HarrisonFord's arguments against Karlsson in the main boards.

Don't know who you are talking about.

Anyway, yeah, I guess I misunderstood "Lazar right now would be a better captain for this team than Spezza" to mean that you believe that Lazar right now would be a better captain for this team than Spezza. I will try to avoid nit picking like this again in the future.

My bad.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
LOL too painful to watch? Just imagine what the diehards had to endure in the early years. This is nothing compared to what they went through before Martin turned the ship around. This team wouldn't even be in Ottawa anymore if not for Martin so you can always say things could be much much worse.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LOL too painful to watch? Just imagine what the diehards had to endure in the early years. This is nothing compared to what they went through before Martin turned the ship around. This team wouldn't even be in Ottawa anymore if not for Martin so you can always say things could be much much worse.

I watched them, atleast they worked hard and we had a pick to look forward to. This is my least favorite sens group in the history of the franchise.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Don't know who you are talking about.

Anyway, yeah, I guess I misunderstood "Lazar right now would be a better captain for this team than Spezza" to mean that you believe that Lazar right now would be a better captain for this team than Spezza. I will try to avoid nit picking like this again in the future.

My bad.

No problem, brudda. Today was a tough loss we all got riled up.

EDIT: LOL, you were being sarcastic. DrEasy understood it but edited his post. The original argument was when did I say we should give Lazar the C. In the post you're talking about, I was talking about why I(personally) think Lazar is a better captain, not why he should be given the C NOW. Because you claimed I said it to be right after juniors which I didn't. Hence the "wait a year or two...."

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
LOL too painful to watch? Just imagine what the diehards had to endure in the early years. This is nothing compared to what they went through before Martin turned the ship around.

Dear god, I would choose to watch an underperforming team like this a thousand times before having to watch a 1992-94 Sens game.

Those were pure torture. We were so bad... SO BAD... it was embarrassing. Like, we were worse than some IHL teams. Teams used to come to Ottawa, play their 3rd and 4th liners for 18 mins/ game against us knowing we were the league doormats, and they'd STILL beat us 6-2. I remember going to school the days after Sens-Habs or Sens-Leafs games, and fans of opposing teams would gloat about how Peter Zezel or JJ Daigneault shut us down or had a hat trick or some other god-awful embarrassing crap, or their backup goalies shut us out.

I mean, we are talking about statistically the 2nd worst team OF ALL TIME, IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE LEAGUE... by a SMIDGE. Anyone who says they would prefer those teams to the one we have now clearly, clearly, CLEARLY either did not pay attention to the league back then, or wasn't old enough (or not born yet) to have to live through the humiliation of being a team that came one point away from being the worst team of all time, and the butt of jokes around the league for years.

... or they are masochists? Honestly. I have no idea. Every game was like watching the "Jeter-in-his-prime" Yankees play the Toledo Mud Hens, and the Mud Hens were required to have their right fielder pitch for a minimum of 5 innings.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
Dear god, I would choose to watch an underperforming team like this a thousand times before having to watch a 1992-94 Sens game.

Those were pure torture. We were so bad... SO BAD... it was embarrassing. Like, we were worse than some IHL teams. Teams used to come to Ottawa, play their 3rd and 4th liners for 18 mins/ game against us knowing we were the league doormats, and they'd STILL beat us 6-2. I remember going to school the days after Sens-Habs or Sens-Leafs games, and fans of opposing teams would gloat about how Peter Zezel or JJ Daigneault shut us down or had a hat trick or some other god-awful embarrassing crap, or their backup goalies shut us out.

I mean, we are talking about statistically the 2nd worst team OF ALL TIME, IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE LEAGUE... by a SMIDGE. Anyone who says they would prefer those teams to the one we have now clearly, clearly, CLEARLY either did not pay attention to the league back then, or wasn't old enough (or not born yet) to have to live through the humiliation of being a team that came one point away from being the worst team of all time, and the butt of jokes around the league for years.

I remember religiously following the worst team in the history of the league, so I feel your pain.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
You were a Caps fan in 1975?

Nope. You are right in terms of points in the standings. I followed the 80-81 Jets team that still holds the record for longest stretch of games without a win. I should have said a really bad team. But man, going 30 consecutive games without a win sure did make it seem like I was watching the worst team ever.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nope. You are right in terms of points in the standings. I followed the 80-81 Jets team that still holds the record for longest stretch of games without a win. I should have said a really bad team. But man, going 30 consecutive games without a win sure did make it seem like I was watching the worst team ever.

Shoot, yeah... that was a bad team.

Easily in the top-10 worst of all time, Might even break the top-5 because of that crazy losing streak.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Out of curiosity does any remember the reason Borowiecki got sent down? I thought he played really well when he came up.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Out of curiosity does any remember the reason Borowiecki got sent down? I thought he played really well when he came up.

Didn't he get injured? Or was someone else injured and came back? Either way we have too many nhl d right now.
He did play really well his first couple games then became more average. But still way better than Phillips this yr.
you really have to change your username.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Didn't he get injured? Or was someone else injured and came back? Either way we have too many nhl d right now.
He did play really well his first couple games then became more average. But still way better than Phillips this yr.
you really have to change your username.

With the exception of Karlsson, Methot and Cowen (based more on potential) they can all go and not be missed.

Ceci is doing ok and is definitely a future player but would benefit from the minors for a bit more, IMO.

Phillips, Gryba, Wiercioch, and Borowiecki are all a bunch of "who cares?". All are 5-6-7s and there are tonnes of these players around the league. Ditching any of these guys for next to nothing shouldn't be a problem to clear space for a proper 3-4 defenceman.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Shoot, yeah... that was a bad team.

Easily in the top-10 worst of all time, Might even break the top-5 because of that crazy losing streak.

I'd say they are number 1 or 2 cause it wasn't just one season they sucked but I'm a little biased. Not to mention the Jets were then relocated years later. I really hope they sneak into the playoffs such a great fanbase.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd say they are number 1 or 2 cause it wasn't just one season they sucked but I'm a little biased. Not to mention the Jets were then relocated years later. I really hope they sneak into the playoffs such a great fanbase.

The context of the discussion was sort of analyzing single seasons, or maybe a 2-year period. 1974-76 Caps are the worst of all time. I'd say the 1992-94 Sens are 2nd worst. The 1979-81 Jets might rank in the top-5, but you have to remember some of the TRULY awful teams in NHL history... the Oakland/California seals were perenially awful. The 1978-80 Colorado Rockies I would argue were worse than those bad Jets teams were. Same with the 1974-76 KC Scouts, they were stank-ass putrid at playing hockey.

Also, if we're using your relocation argument, I'd say the Rockies, Scouts and Seals were all FAR worse hockey teams than the Jets were, and they left before the Jets as well.

Those Jets teams might break the top-5.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
That's it! I'm done watching this year. I can only hope that they make some good trades , or pick up a good UFA in the off-season - mind you any UFA would think long and hard about signing up with this bunch. I'm really hoping that next year's team vows to never let a disaster like this happen again! Revenge and retribution can be good motivators.

Sam

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I watched them, atleast they worked hard and we had a pick to look forward to. This is my least favorite sens group in the history of the franchise.

The Hartsburg year, the Paddock year and the second year of Clouston were all worse than this. Those were all passive, trapping teams that could barely get the puck out of their own end.

This years team is at least entertaining in some stretches.

Even in last nights game, up until the Rangers' 3rd and 4th goals I was consciously thinking that the game was very entertaining and I was enjoying it. Luckily I had the game on the PVR, so when things went south I was able to fast forward thru...

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The Hartsburg year, the Paddock year and the second year of Clouston were all worse than this. Those were all passive, trapping teams that could barely get the puck out of their own end.

Sorry correction -- the Paddock team was not passive. They were actually a lot like this years team -- played a skill game, and had very poor defensive habits.

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
I haven't really watched all season for obvious reasons. I didn't even watch last night. Just woke up and checked the scores and sure enough, another miserable effort. The Detroit game after the Olympics was the real deal breaker. That was just my confirmation the only way this lineup might compete is if they were in the AHL. They have no identity, they are soft, they can't play the basic game of defensive hockey.. There's just too many good games on these days to care. My old St Louis jersey has made a comeback the past few years.
In the meantime, I am just not into a team thats built like the Sens. Too frustrating to watch and nothing being done to fix it.

And topping this off with the re signing of Phillips indicates they will suck for at least another 2 years so I can't see me watching too much Sens hockey in the future. Canadian Tire Center is going to be a ghost town. But that's what you get when the team lays turd after turd after turd.

The Sens need a real on ice leader. They certainly haven't played well under Captain Kid.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Why is everyone from coach to players sounding like 82 games is up?
I know all about reality but as a pro team you can't give up till it's done.
Get your ***** together and go on a win streak!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad