Too Painful to Watch

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza is hardly the problem.

He doesn't deserve to have the C but like I said, hardly the problem.

The problems stem exclusively from the back-end. Outside of Karlsson and Ceci, we have zero transition ability.

We only have 3 top 4 defenders and 3 bottom pairing ones.

I'm still dying of laughter how hard Cowen passed the puck to Hoffman, all he needed was to simply tap it infront of him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No one yet.

Strip Spezza of the C then wait a year or two then give it to Karlsson or Lazar.

You might as well trade him if you're going to do that.

I agree he's not the best captain in the league, but he's what we're going to have for the foreseeable future. He has the advantage of being able to grow into the role, it seems, because he's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

Here's to hoping he learns from this season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You might as well trade him if you're going to do that.

I agree he's not the best captain in the league, but he's what we're going to have for the foreseeable future. He has the advantage of being able to grow into the role, it seems, because he's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

Here's to hoping he learns from this season.

I think if we get complementary players that are also strong leaders/characters, it won't matter much what Spezza does, imo.

The additions of Pageau, Lazar should pimp this team huge with "200 foot nonstop hustle" mentality that'll rub off on others.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Lolz, do you guys know what captain means?

Lazar right now would be a better captain for this team than Spezza. Not saying Spezza can't be a good captain but nope.

This is what wikipedia says:
In ice hockey, the captain is the player designated by his team as the only person authorized to speak with the game officials regarding rule interpretations when he is on the ice.

Officially the captain has no other responsibility or authority, though depending on the league or individual team, he may have various informal duties, such as participation in pre-game ceremonies or other events outside of the game. As with most team sports that designate captains, the captain is usually a well-respected player and a de facto team leader.
Not sure that appointing Lazar in his first year of play with numerous vets around would be a really good idea.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is what wikipedia says:

Not sure that appointing Lazar in his first year of play with numerous vets around would be a really good idea.

Who said Lazar isn't well respected? Everyone loves him. For his attitude and for his play on the ice.

Pretty sure everyone can agree with me when I say a hockey captain is a player who plays with his heart on the line, plays the model of how the coach wants the team to play and is respected by his teammates, he also has to have at least some skill.

I don't even know why we are even having this argument....

I said Spezza isn't captain material, if anyone disagrees, you're out to lunch. He does look like he can mold into that role but meh...

Also, poutine, notice how I said hold out for 1/2 years then give it to Karlsson/Lazar, I was speaking under the impression that Lazar would have already had a full season or two under his belt.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wait till Spezza is re-signed before stripping the C from him.

He's been great lately, but he's really not captain material. He got the C because there were no other options. For gods sake our assistant captains are Phillips and Neil.

This team needs to look for some real leadership in the summer. We should be looking at guys like O'Reilly and Callahan, and we should be willing to overpay to acquire them.

No one yet.

Strip Spezza of the C then wait a year or two then give it to Karlsson or Lazar.

Karlsson might be a worse choice for the C than Spezza. Guy has completely stop trying this season. His work ethic is nowhere near where it was when he won the Norris. I think he could use a kick in the ass more than anyone on this team.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto

He's been great lately, but he's really not captain material. He got the C because there were no other options. For gods sake our assistant captains are Phillips and Neil.

This team needs to look for some real leadership in the summer. We should be looking at guys like O'Reilly and Callahan, and we should be willing to overpay to acquire them.

Karlsson might be a worse choice for the C than Spezza. Guy has completely stop trying this season. His work ethic is nowhere near where it was when he won the Norris. I think he could use a kick in the ass more than anyone on this team.

Yup to all points. Its embarrassing to see Karlsson go to team Sweden and play inspired and come back and go back to being a baby. Love the player but sooner or later hes no kid and needs to put on his big boy pants

Senafan

May 17, 2013
Probably done watching for the rest of season after this. Few players seem to care.

Hockey seems like an inconvenience to #4's brewing process.

Others likely looking forward to golf / warmer climates / expensive toys.

Coach is a malfunctioning walrus droid that keeps making the same mistakes over and over.

Blehhhhhh

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Oh, that guy who hasn't played a single game in the NHL?
He's clearly a better captain then SPezza. Gotcha

Lazar right now would be a better captain for this team than Spezza. Not saying Spezza can't be a good captain but nope.

I'm with the guy who thinks you need at least one game of NHL experience before becoming a team captain. I think that same guy is actually the one who knows what captain means.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Lazar? Karlsson? One is in the juniors and the other has shown a nonchalant attitude this year. No thanks to both.

Turris should be captain. He seems to handle pressure well, steps up in big games and is always 100% effort. He also doesn't let emotions get to him so he won't make stupid comments like alfie use too.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa

I'm sorry guys, but what exactly is "Captain material" from a fan's perspective?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lmao, ya'll can't read or something? Since when did I say give it to him out of junior?

"Wait a year or 2." Now... why would RKL say something like that? Oh, possibly cause in 2 years Karlsson or Lazar would be more mature and have more experience and hence be able to pick up the C.

Normally I can understand words taken out of context but I literally typed it out for you all.

A better argument would be, how could we guarantee he can be a good captain? For that I'd argue the main reason Ottawa pursued him in the first place is cause of his spectacular work ethic and consequently his heart and soul play and 2 way game that comes with it which screams captain material. ANDDDD if Lazar doesn't pan out, I also mentioned Karlsson. No one picked that up though, s'all cool.

I wouldn't mind being criticized if we were defending a guy who exemplifies actual Captain leadership qualities but Spezza? SPEZZA?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Lmao, ya'll can't read or something? Since when did I say give it to him out of junior?
"Wait a year or 2." Now... why would RKL say something like that? Oh, possibly cause in 2 years Karlsson or Lazar would be more mature and have more experience and hence be able to pick up the C.

Normally I can understand words taken out of context but I literally typed it out for you all.

He is in junior right now. You said "Lazar right now would be a better captain." Sorry for putting your own words in your mouth.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He is in junior right now. You said "Lazar right now would be a better captain." Sorry for putting your own words in your mouth.

My original post where I talked about assigning the C didn't say that. 2nd post was my opinion. "Lazar is better captain" =/= "Lazar should be given the C out of junior."

Come on, man. Seriously? Lmaoooooooooo.

Your nitpicking reminds me of HarrisonFord's arguments against Karlsson in the main boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad