Friedman: Too many teams trying to sell, not enough teams buying

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think you understand what a buyers' market is...

If a team is asking too much, and there are LOTS of options out there (ie. more teams selling), then the buyer has all the power and can just go to one of the other teams.

That’s if you think the available players are equal. You can be very sure GMs do not.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
If you think the media affects who gets traded for what, you might want to reconsider who the puppet is.

Touché :P
Yes, well I believe everybody is a a little bit affected. Even if you're working for a hockey club.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
That’s if you think the available players are equal. You can be very sure GMs do not.

They don't have to be considered equal but they all need to be considered useful to the team.

Think about buying a house: You prefer House A to House B but they'd both work for you. House A has a better location and layout but House B has more space and an office that would be very useful. If you can get them for the same price, you choose House A. If House A costs twice as much but is only a modest upgrade to you, you take House B.

It's the same with NHL wingers. You may prefer Patches to Nash but if you can get Nash much more cheaply, the savings may outweigh the extra value to you of having Patches. Having so many options is going to put a ceiling on how much a GM will pay for any given player (unless he is completely irrational). Many ppl have explained this just ITT.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
This interview with Jim Nill illustrates the mindset most "buying" GMs probably have right now:

"Things are going to happen around the League as the days wind down to the deadline," Nill said. "It's just that the prices -- at least to me -- are still very high.

From our point of view, I'm not actively looking, so it's kind of a moot point to me. I'm not giving up a high draft pick or a top prospect for a rental. I'm just not doing that. I like where our team is at, and I'm not at the stage where we're going to do that."

Most teams probably don't think they're in a strong enough position to mortgage the future, and feel that what they have already is good enough for now.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Kind of strange if true since the league is fairly open right now. A pretty big number of teams could be realistic contenders if they bought a good piece or two.
I'd say it's the opposite. Tons of mediocrity and just a few teams that have a real shot. I would be utterly shocked if one of Tampa, Boston, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Winnipeg, VGK, or Toronto didn't win the cup.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Well there are no comparable players on the block that Nash at the moment.

I think Nash is an anomaly here. Despite his scoring on decline he has a lot to offer. Like Eric Staal I think teams look at him as a Change of Scenery guy. In a different system his production may increase. Nash is not old and has a playoff pedigree and plays the type of game teams covet in the playoffs. I think he will be motivated by a trade to a cup contender and a team may see him as more than just a rental. Nash is probably the top forward available.
I expect the return to be at least a first rd pick.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I feel your pain brother.

I just read a post from a Habs fan saying Carey Price (with 0 retention) for Barzal+Pulock+Halak+NYI 1st+CGY 1st is a fair initial asking price for his goaltender.

It's almost impossible to discuss trade value because too many HFboards posters are simply concerned with only getting ridiculous overpayments back for their expendable veterans, willfully ignoring things like drops in production, contract status, and just overall lack of interest when they hurt their "my expendable player has humongous trade value" narratives.

Martin Hanzal got a 1st+, therefore my 3rd line center is easily worth that. Erat was traded for Forsberg, so trade your blue chip prospect for a veteran I trash regularly on my team's forum. My guy had a really good season back in 2012-13 and it's very likely your blue chip prospect is a complete and utter bust because he hasn't hit the NHL yet, so from my POV it's fair.

I actually had an Avalanche fan tell me I was wrong about valuing Barzal highly last year because more people agreed with his "very likely a bust" assessment of the current Calder favorite, and that nobody (myself included) could have seen his success coming. The need of some people to twist everything into a "win" really gets tedious.

Oh please. Stop with the rational discussion. The team you root for is going to be happy to cough up a first a third and an A prospect for Ben Lovejoy. After all he’s a right hand defenseman.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
There are like 3 top 6 wingers on the rental market.
How often are top six forwards ever really available in trades?
How many top defenseman are available right now?
Let's see if Karlsson or McDonagh even get dealt.
Most big trades are done in the offseason.
Look at the deadline deals we have seen in the past and you can count on one hand how many top six forwards were dealt. Taylor Hall and Staal immediately come to mind but the majority are low caliber moves. Mostly you get the Vaneks and Perrons. The last notable defenseman was probably J. Schultz and Jeff Petry.
Also this is a very good free agent class.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
How often are top six forwards ever really available in trades?
How many top defenseman are available right now?
Let's see if Karlsson or McDonagh even get dealt.
Most big trades are done in the offseason.
Look at the deadline deals we have seen in the past and you can count on one hand how many top six forwards were dealt. Taylor Hall and Staal immediately come to mind but the majority are low caliber moves. Mostly you get the Vaneks and Perrons. The last notable defenseman was probably J. Schultz and Jeff Petry.
Also this is a very good free agent class.

I was considering guys like Vanek in my “top 6 forward” comment. In reality, there are no top 6 forwards, only middle 6 ones like most years.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
You're right, it's not like I don't have MSG and can watch him whenever I want or bet on them. Not like I'm in Scotland or anything.

It's also not like you're the one who claimed he was better at everything else then the other two only to be countered and have no real response other then "you don't watch the games"
One of the dumbest things people say why don't you watch certain players. It's 2018 people I have 5 screens most nights with games on it. Why don't people just agree to disagree and move on.

Cole4Christmas

Nov 19, 2017
2012: Habs get first top-3 draft pick in a while, happens in a very weak draft.
2018: Habs have the biggest piece they're willing to trade at the deadline in a while, happens in a buyers' market.
Moment of silence for Habs fans out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad