Tony Marinaro on why Subban was really traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
audio:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/marinaro-why-pk-subban-was-traded-1.518373 part 1

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/marinaro-no-doubt-pk-was-going-to-be-traded-1.518430 part 2

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/habs-lunch-pk-for-weber-1.518634 part 3

*Tony prefaces all this by saying he's not gonna get into a discussion about the trade, he wants us to know WHY PK got traded. Says Habs won the deal for the next 2'ish years, but lost the deal in the long-term.*

Important points:

-The Montreal Canadiens dont have to tell you everything, the Canadiens are a very classy organization. Theyre a very classy organization and chose to withhold information about PK and took the high road, i will tell you everything.

-PK was very good to me, but the PK Subban i knew and the PK Subban described by his past and present teammates is very different from the one i know

-i was told of missing curfew (and this was an 11 PM curfew), missing team meetings, things that were said in the room that really bothered his teammates

-I was told this story by multiple sources, you know when players hang out in the locker room.. they talk together about stuff. At 1 point Doughty's name came up.. and PK supposedly said something to the effect of "he'll win the Norris, i mean look who he plays with, look who i play with". *********

-i heard it from a couple of players and they said it pretty much went down that way, it could of been a joke but it bothered enough of his teammates to tell me about it

-Tuesday Sept 15, 2015, PK Subban announces his donation to MTL's children hospital. Announcement during camp, i know alot of ppl in PK's entourage were upset that he wasnt name captain a few days later

-None of his teammates were in attendance during his MTL Hospital presser, i found it odd that they weren't there

-The donation wasnt made to be MTL's captain, it was made to help the children, but you know what happened, people called in and said PK has to be captain of the Habs

-A former player told me PK will never be captain of MTL

-Do you remember when Bergevin was asked if the captaincy vote was close, MB said lets put it this way: "The vote wasnt even close", they wanted to make it clear to Subban that the vote wasnt close

-PK Subban was the only person who didn't attend the Habs's Christmas party, now i don't know where PK was, he might have been at the Children's hospital, which would have been great.. but it bothered his teammates (insinuating the players knew what he was doing) enough to tell me about it

-at the end of MTL-Pens game, PK said his famous statement "i couldnt give a **** if its my 2nd goal, its not my ****ing job to score goals", he was standing next to Pacioretty, you saw Pacioretty's reaction *plays the Pacioretty interview where PK was clearly heard in the background* *********

-MTL-COL game, Therrien said "it was an individual mistake that cost us the game" (when Subban fell and said he blew a tire), he wanted the media to know it was PK's fault, i remember blasting Therrien for that, he told the french media he said it was an "individualistic play".

-when he got injured i was told he wanted to play Saturday vs Wild but then he went on to miss the rest of the year, Habs lost 5-0 to Ottawa.. but we had lots of messages that he was seen going into town the night we lost vs Ottawa.

-afterwards we were watching PK practice in Brossard w/ the team, we said he looked fantastic and that he'd enter the lineup (best player on the ice). March 24 Habs played Wings, they lost 3-4. Next day we come in and saw messages, PK was seen going in town, we said he's allowed to go into town, but you know the optics.. it gets the rumor mill going, prob a better idea if he stays home. If he stays home we dont get those messages because people were saying "he doesnt look injured".

-At the end of the year, PK Subban was asked of the prospect of Therrien returning as the coach, i thought his answer was really really weird: "Since i've been in the league, it's a result based league.. etc. I'm just a hockey player, ultimately i haven't hear MB's year end presser, we'll see what happens"

-He was asked about relationship with Therrien, never answered it. He was asked if Therrien was coming back, he said "we'll see what happens".

-Tony plays his question to MB when Subban didn't endorse his coach (he basically re-states Subban's statement to MB), MB says "job of coach is not to be loved by 23 players, its to be respected, it's called tough love, i'm not saying PK does like Mike, but i know under Therrien PK progressed into a very fine dman"

-I got a call from NHL executive to tell him everything he knows about Subban (doesnt name who). We had a chat, once i hung up the phone, i knew he was available and that there was a strong possibility he'd get traded.

-Subban asked at NHL award gala about MTL's season *plays interview* "i didnt think we did enough as an organization to make the playoffs without Price etc... but we have to be better from the TOP OF THE ORGANIZATION TO THE BOTTOM"

-Best thing about Subban is that he's sincere, he says what's on his mind.. but i know how MTL's org. thinks, how they operate, they're an old fashioned org. Theyre not crazy about players saying the org. didnt do enough to get us into the playoffs publically (Tony says he agrees with the statement tho), but some truths are better left unsaid. *********

-Biggest mistake they made with PK (according to a former teammate): the minute he did something wrong (missed a curfew etc.), you have to tell members of the media about it, he broke the rules, he has to miss a game etc., they didnt. This was this former players opinion, this is where he says MTL messed up with PK (talks about Trotz and Ovie situation, when Trotz made it public and Ovie got scratched), Habs stayed quiet about PK, that was their mistake, needed to make public aware of him breaking rules, if he keeps it up its on him. *********

-PK Subban not voted for King Clancy by his teammates after his massive pledge to the Children's Hospital, says it meant something, you didnt want to believe it, it meant something. Locker room atmosphere wasnt good w/ Subban.

-When Habs got Kirk Muller (player's coach, knows our roster and Subban VERY well), if i was a betting man, Muller picked up the phone, and asked the players "whats going on, is this thing salvageable". It wouldn't surprise me if they made the move after players weren't ok with the situation. MB said the team is better but he didn't say how (insinuating they'd have better locker room chemistry).

-MB when asked about the trade said he wanted to make the team better, "we feel we're a better but i'll leave this discussion internally" was MB's statement, he's saying the players think the team's atmosphere will be better. I'm willing to bet Price was asked his opinion, Patches, Gallagher, Plek etc. Max and PK are like oil and water, that's a fact, players won't tell you that stuff on the record. MB had an exit interview with Patch, Gallagher, Patches, Gally and PK Subban got traded. Muller had talks with core players and PK got traded. *********

-Know who Price trains with all summer to get ready for the NHL? He trains with Shea Weber. *********

-Bergevin waited till yesterday to see if he got a better deal than Weber, but i can tell you that EDM didnt want to know anything about Drai + 4th and Hall + 4th for PK. So they gave themselves some time, they tried to create a bidding war, but the reason they traded him before his NTC kicked in was because they were worried about how bad things could be going forward in the locker room and with everything that comes with PK Subban, thats the truth.

Quick summary of everything:

His teammates and the organization believed that PK thought he was bigger than the team, he was dealt before his NTC kicked in and was put in a position of power (according to Tony Marinaro of course, whether or not you believe him is up to you).

I've listened to Tony for a long long time, my personal opinion is that he's not the type of person to make up these type of things over such an important matter, he has alot of sources within the team (players). He wouldn't risk ruining his relationship with them if it wasn't true.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyarena

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I was expecting Tony to lose it on MB and MT, like he has several times throughout the season regarding PK's deployment. Indeed, I tuned in just because I thought hearing him freak out would be hilarious. This is a surprising turn of events, I wouldn't have guessed Tony would turn on PK.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Its Tony Marinaro, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over his supposed inside information. He likes to think he is more important than he really is.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Its Tony Marinaro, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over his supposed inside information. He likes to think he is more important than he really is.

Tony has alot of sources within the team. He's not gonna make up BS.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Kypreos on an interview yesterday said that Bergevin knew he would lose all leverage with Subban once the no trade kicked in on July 1.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
It wouldnt surprise me. There's always been a few odd situations with subban and teammates although most people just blew it off. I really think plekanec doesnt like him. On the other hand Price and him seemed close

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Doesn't matter why he was traded. He wasn't traded for the right value.

How hard is it for Bergevin to say, Subban = Weber but four years younger, what are you going to add to make up that difference? 1st round pick next year?

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Tony has alot of sources within the team. He's not gonna make up BS.

He has a show to make. If you think he doesn't make up crap or say controversial stuff to entice people to listen to his show, then you are falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
To me this sounds like the standard character assassination agenda that follows after a star gets traded. Boston does it too. I'll bet two cents that PK will be loved by the fans, the community and the teammates in Nashville, just like Seguin in Dallas.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
To me this sounds like the standard character assassination agenda that follows after a star gets traded. Boston does it too. I'll bet two cents that PK will be loved by the fans, the community and the teammates in Nashville, just like Seguin in Dallas.

How I feel about this too.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
"...At 1 point Doughty's name came up.. and PK supposedly said something to the effect of "he'll win the Norris, i mean look who he plays with, look who i play with" "

If it's true he's right, playing for Therrien and DD as your 1st center, don't help at all.:laugh:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

So all those threads and posts over years about how PK is a bad teammate, fights his teammates in practice, diver, thinks he is bigger than the team etc., were all just a build up to bring him down when he was eventually traded. That's quite the long con. Impressive.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Always struck me as a "me first" kinda guy, but could be way off.
We'll see how he does with Neal, Joey and Ribeiro as teammates.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Marinaro is usually a blowhard. I mean this is the guy that laughed about the idea of keeping Price over Halak.

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A

Exactly. All this "inside info" is nothing new that hasn't be regurgitated before in some manner or fashion. We all knew that every one on the team didn't see eye to eye with Subban, but then again, he was still close with many players on the team. Was he pissed he didn't get the C? Maybe, but don't tell me Pacioretty is this team's leader.

This is all such a crock of s***. We're a classy organization? When was the last time class won us anything or got us a to sign a player? Was it classy how we dealt with Cammalleri, or that our GM and coach continue to lie to through their teeth about our players and our team? Is it classy how our coach and GM play favorites or the way our rookies/prospects are being (mis)handled?

And this line pisses me off:

"PK supposedly said something to the effect of "he'll win the Norris, i mean look who he plays with, look who i play with". ******"

He supposedly said something to the effect of? So he may or may not have said something that was or wasn't insulting to the team? God damn, is Marinaro just spewing pure garbage at this point? What kind of journalism is this?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Exactly. All this "inside info" is nothing new that hasn't be regurgitated before in some manner or fashion. We all knew that every one on the team didn't see eye to eye with Subban, but then again, he was still close with many players on the team. Was he pissed he didn't get the C? Maybe, but don't tell me Pacioretty is this team's leader.

This is all such a crock of s***. We're a classy organization? When was the last time class won us anything or got us a to sign a player? Was it classy how we dealt with Cammalleri, or that our GM and coach continue to lie to their teeth about our players and team?

And this line pisses me off:

PK supposedly said something to the effect of "he'll win the Norris, i mean look who he plays with, look who i play with". ******

He supposedly said something to the effect of? So he may or may not have said something that was or wasn't insulting to the team? God damn, is Marinaro just spewing pure garbage at this point? What kind of journalism is this?

Journalism is more about pushing an agenda, getting clicks and spewing "shocking" nonsense than it is about reporting actual facts these days.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Ever since Subban wore Skinner's jersey at the All Star game in North Carolina (whatever year that was) I knew there was something going on between him and Montreal management or ownership. It seemed like it was all in good fun but then he had to do an interview with his Habs jersey on saying how much he loves and respects the Habs organization. Seemed like he was scolded for wear Skinner's jersey and forced to do the interview.

I'm not going to pretend I know any inside information or anything but from that story alone I feel like Montreal management has had a stick up their ass about Subban for a long time.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Shame to hear this, really, but it's not completely shocking. Sometimes player personalities conflict with teammates. Sometimes the best option is to move that player.

If nothing else, I hope he learns from this and does a better job of gaining cohesiveness with his new Nashville teammates.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's a whole lot of rumors an innuendo.

I don't know who this guy is but he sounds like a beat writer who's a shill for the franchise, much like Helene St. James in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce