Confirmed with Link: Tony Granato named as assistant coach

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Can't help bit think the coaching carousel this offseason is just more evidence that Babcock isn't coming back. His assistants all took new jobs and it's been a slow search trying to replace them. Even Granato is only guaranteed one year. Can't see many top shelf coaches wanting to come here when there is a good possibility they'll be gone after the season. Not much job security here.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Can't help bit think the coaching carousel this offseason is just more evidence that Babcock isn't coming back. His assistants all took new jobs and it's been a slow search trying to replace them. Even Granato is only guaranteed one year. Can't see many top shelf coaches wanting to come here when there is a good possibility they'll be gone after the season. Not much job security here.

Why wouldn't you take it, regardless of Babcock's future?

If Babcock takes another job next season and he approved your work this year in Detroit, who do you think is first in line for a potential assistant coaching job at his new location?

It's a win-win. The only thing that may suck is having to uproot and move after a year, but these guys understand that in this business.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why wouldn't you take it, regardless of Babcock's future?

If Babcock takes another job next season and he approved your work this year in Detroit, who do you think is first in line for a potential assistant coaching job at his new location?

It's a win-win. The only thing that may suck is having to uproot and move after a year, but these guys understand that in this business.

Concerns about the team buying in with a one year coaching staff.
Possibility of the wings falling off a cliff and damaging your HC prospects.
If Babcock doesn't take you with him, for whatever reasons, it's a blackmark on your resume.

All sorts of things can go wrong (and right) in a single season, and it's a risk for anyone taking that on.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Renney also said in his post hiring presser/interviews that Babcock first put the idea in his head about the Hockey Canada job and told him he should go for it and Renney initially brushed it off before thinking more on it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
All sorts of things can go wrong (and right) in a single season, and it's a risk for anyone taking that on.

Personally, I couldn't sign up quick enough to be Babcock's assistant. The track record is pretty good for them getting stable work.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Granato's also been the top guy twice in Colorado. After the first go-round, the talk was that they were going to give Tony more time and seasoning. So, you are talking about someone who could be a viable successor to Babcock.

Also, Dan Bylsma is still unemployed. This is the guy that beat us in 2009 for the Cup and was the coach of the USA team at the Olympics. He's also a Michigan native. He would have to be the leading candidate for the other open assistant position, and yet another viable successor.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Personally, I couldn't sign up quick enough to be Babcock's assistant. The track record is pretty good for them getting stable work.

that and the pay is probably pretty decent for just one year.

How many years were McLellen and MacLean here before getting their gigs, though? How many years for Peters? And what was Detroit's standing around the league compared between then and now?

If Babcock was guaranteed to be around for more than a year, I don't think we sign Granato, and I bet we see some different names bandied about. As it is, I'm fully expecting another guy like Granato signed for the other assistant spot - someone who has been around a bit, is looking for a paycheck and a place to keep his hat in the ring for future jobs. I'd be a bit surprised if we see a guy like Peters from a few years ago, hoping to move up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Granato's also been the top guy twice in Colorado. After the first go-round, the talk was that they were going to give Tony more time and seasoning. So, you are talking about someone who could be a viable successor to Babcock.

Also, Dan Bylsma is still unemployed. This is the guy that beat us in 2009 for the Cup and was the coach of the USA team at the Olympics. He's also a Michigan native. He would have to be the leading candidate for the other open assistant position, and yet another viable successor.

I would be pretty upset if they go with Granato over Blashill to fill the Head Coaching spot.

But I guess over-ripening is a re-occurring theme with this franchise, so that is probably what will happen.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
that and the pay is probably pretty decent for just one year.

How many years were McLellen and MacLean here before getting their gigs, though? How many years for Peters? And what was Detroit's standing around the league compared between then and now?

If Babcock was guaranteed to be around for more than a year, I don't think we sign Granato, and I bet we see some different names bandied about. As it is, I'm fully expecting another guy like Granato signed for the other assistant spot - someone who has been around a bit, is looking for a paycheck and a place to keep his hat in the ring for future jobs. I'd be a bit surprised if we see a guy like Peters from a few years ago, hoping to move up.

You might be right. Always tough to say with these things.

Guys get hot and cold for reasons that are often beyond me. As fans, our only major perception of coaching is on ice results, which is a fraction of their actual contribution. That's kind of a tangential topic to what you were saying, I suppose.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You might be right. Always tough to say with these things.

Guys get hot and cold for reasons that are often beyond me. As fans, our only major perception of coaching is on ice results, which is a fraction of their actual contribution. That's kind of a tangential topic to what you were saying, I suppose.

Maybe tangential, maybe not. I mean, if we have a group of guys back there looking at a one year commitment, is that going to be a good environment to also be fitting in another couple of rookies while having a bunch of guys entering their sophmore years? Or is it better to have a bit more of a vet roster with the expectation to clean house again next summer?

This summer has been a bummer as a Wings fan, and I'm expecting a weird season next year with a number of guys we won't expect to be around the following year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That list reads Blashill, if Babs is moving on that is the only guy I want to talk to.

Don't mind those two being assistants, despite some of the anger Pens fans feel for them I think they would help a lot on the bench. Bylsma is infectiously happy, would be interesting to watch Babs, Granato and Bylsma be a staff.

But Blashill has worked with our young talent and been a winner at every level, if Babcock is leaving he should be taking over the bench.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I would be pretty upset if they go with Granato over Blashill to fill the Head Coaching spot.

But I guess over-ripening is a re-occurring theme with this franchise, so that is probably what will happen.

as someone who went through granato being head coach, twice, i can honestly tell that i'd rather re-sign cleary for the contract that granato would receive.

unless the plan is to tank. granato is good at that, got the avs duchene. make sacco his co-head coach and we might not even win 5 games all season long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad