Confirmed with Link: Tony Granato named as assistant coach

DatsyukianDeke*

babcock_granato640.jpg

Haha. Funny in that picture all the different head coaches now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Are you kidding? They could be significantly worse. 12th in the league in PK% the last 2 years. Yes, room for improvement, but not horrible.

It's the PP that needs work, not the PK.

I mean the PK could be better but it's not really the problem compared to our PP.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is he any good?

Apart from one series against Philadelphia where the PK clicked at, like, 42%, our PK was always decent or better since he got here, even though he sometimes used worse personnel than other guys he had available to him.

He's the only guy on Team Bylsma I considered to have any redeeming qualities. Just be thankful it's not Reirden.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I miss Downey. Stuck up for his teammates whenever needed. Miss McCarty too. We really need a character guy like that. Gut check.

I remember watching it when Laperierre took a huge run at him and Downey absolutely dropped him haha. Beautiful.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I miss Downey. Stuck up for his teammates whenever needed. Miss McCarty too. We really need a character guy like that. Gut check.

I remember watching it when Laperierre took a huge run at him and Downey absolutely dropped him haha. Beautiful.

What? We've got Cleary. Isn't that enough?

No? Okay, don't worry. Ken Holland is on the case!

ken_holland_phone.jpg

Welcome back, Todd Bertuzzi!

hi-res-Preview_crop_north.jpg

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I feel Granato was the second best we had behind Jacques Martin. Pens poster above probably forgot about Martin. Heh. He's a good assistant hire imo.

Most just had a problem with the personel on his PK. Don't know if Bylsma made the calls on that though.

ETA: After reading the Pens poster above, he was actually correct as Granato was under Team Bylsma and Martin wasn't. Carry on.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Why do people keep talking about Ferraro in relation to Granato? Some kind of connection?
Ray Ferraro's wife is Cammi Granato, who is Tony's sister.

Babcock on Granato: "Well, we just felt he's really heavy on the bench. He goes to the hard areas to make a point to a player. He's an everydayer. He's real good at coaching. We had a younger, better candidate, but the tie goes to the veteran."

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I feel Granato was the second best we had behind Jacques Martin. Pens poster above probably forgot about Martin. Heh. He's a good assistant hire imo.

Most just had a problem with the personel on his PK. Don't know if Bylsma made the calls on that though.

ETA: After reading the Pens poster above, he was actually correct as Granato was under Team Bylsma and Martin wasn't. Carry on.

Yeah, I would have loved to know that too. We got stuck watching veteran scrubs like Adams and Glass on the PK. I was never sure if Bylsma put them in the lineup and Granato was forced to find use for them or if Granato was the one pounding the table to have Glass and Adams in the lineup and on the PK.

The overwhelming difference between the success of his regular season PK and Playoff PK was amazing too. I posted it earlier but Granato's regular season PK had three top 5 finishes in 5 years but his playoff PK finished either second to last or dead last in three out of five years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, I would have loved to know that too. We got stuck watching veteran scrubs like Adams and Glass on the PK. I was never sure if Bylsma put them in the lineup and Granato was forced to find use for them or if Granato was the one pounding the table to have Glass and Adams in the lineup and on the PK.

The overwhelming difference between the success of his regular season PK and Playoff PK was amazing too. I posted it earlier but Granato's regular season PK had three top 5 finishes in 5 years but his playoff PK finished either second to last or dead last in three out of five years.

Babcock has said many times that goalie is your best penalty killer. I could imagine those Fleury collapses were more of a problem for that bad playoff PK ?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ray Ferraro's wife is Cammi Granato, who is Tony's sister.

Babcock on Granato: "Well, we just felt he's really heavy on the bench. He goes to the hard areas to make a point to a player. He's an everydayer. He's real good at coaching. We had a younger, better candidate, but the tie goes to the veteran."

is it sad that I actually checked the mlive article to see if that was a real quote? :laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad