Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
OK... if he had a different name and wasn't from the NY-area, would he be getting such a pass here? He's had eight or nine assists... in 30 games... you guys are fine with a guy who skates around well, defense isn't his thing but... 0-9-30? But John Moore wasn't good enough.

And look, it's not like he's a 20-year-old rookie. He was not way under .5PPG a year ago... on the Coyotes... AV's defensive system could be totally different--it's still hockey.

Not advocating to dislike the kid, but I think concern about the players is warranted at this rate.

I don't know. Go ask his former team?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
OK... if he had a different name and wasn't from the NY-area, would he be getting such a pass here? He's had eight or nine assists... in 30 games... you guys are fine with a guy who skates around well, defense isn't his thing but... 0-9-30? But John Moore wasn't good enough.

And look, it's not like he's a 20-year-old rookie. He was not way under .5PPG a year ago... on the Coyotes... AV's defensive system could be totally different--it's still hockey.

Not advocating to dislike the kid, but I think concern about the players is warranted at this rate.

The 3 guys he's spent the most time with this season (per Corsica) are Smith, Holden, and O'Gara. Are you really surprised he hasn't produced much? He's also a victim of poor PDO, with only 2 pairings he's been on posting a 99.44 or higher

Last edited:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

He's not from the NY area. At all.

He's closer to being from Philly or even parts of Delaware or Maryland than NY.

And I dont get the comment about his name. Being named Tony D isn't going to get you far in NY outside of maybe SI.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The 3 guys he's spent the most time with this season (per Corsica) are Smith, Holden, and O'Gara. Are you really surprised he hasn't produced much? He's also a victim of poor PDO, with only 2 pairings he's been on posting a 99.44 or higher

Why do people keep bringing this up? Is playing with Staal or Pionk or Gilmour so much better? Most of these guys are fringe NHL'ers. Only real quality NHL'ers we have are Skjei and Shattenkirk, one of which he was promoted for.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He posted quality numbers with Gilmour and Skjei, and has barely played with Pionk. His numbers with Staal were pretty terrible

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
All the numbers in the world, he's .25 PPG, 0GPG... Holden was arguably as good as any no. 3 and was playing no. 2 regularly. Smith and O'Gara, just two more guys with which he's yet to produce... whatever number you throw out,8-in-32 is WAY more profound. But... let's hope for a good rehab and that he explodes out of the gate next fall. The first half of next season will be immensely important for him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Thought this was interesting:

ypOLt7D.png

X4kZ0Az.png

Reactions: Rongomania

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Haha, well I don't know what "fun" means, I assumed it was just good :laugh:
"Fun" and "Dull" just mean that a lot of things are/aren't happening on the ice for both teams, so they're essentially boring neutral and exciting neutral. The top right features guys like Doughty, Karlsson, Lindholm, McAvoy, etc.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He allows a lot of carry-ins on zone entries, but he also does a very good job of getting the puck out of the zone with possession of the puck.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He's not from the NY area. At all.

He's closer to being from Philly or even parts of Delaware or Maryland than NY.

And I dont get the comment about his name. Being named Tony D isn't going to get you far in NY outside of maybe SI.
Hey, a kid with the name like this should play top minutes (I'm from SI).

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
DeAngelo is a disgrace on defense. Absolutely no future in the NHL as a defenseman. Said months ago they need to move him to wing and see if he can make the NHL there. I'm not opposed to releasing him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
DeAngelo is a disgrace on defense. Absolutely no future in the NHL as a defenseman. Said months ago they need to move him to wing and see if he can make the NHL there. I'm not opposed to releasing him.
I'll leave the rest of this bile alone, but what mechanism of the CBA would you use to release him? Also, why would you release him rather than trade him?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'll leave the rest of this bile alone, but what mechanism of the CBA would you use to release him? Also, why would you release him rather than trade him?

Stellar. No way am I moving him except for a surefire stud young D. No way. If this kid keeps on progressing he will be INVALUABLE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad