Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
PhXsRBu.gif

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
DeAngelo won't be the first or last Ranger blueliner to be oddly overrated. I think he should be getting more games and looks in this year but people are acting like a young impact blueliner is being unfairly scratched for some obscure reason.

We saw the same thing with Adam Clendenning (particular with the Corsi crew) and even Dylan McIlrath where people swore these guys were regular blueliners being unfairly shunned. Both players permanently out of the league even after transititioning to different organizations.
To be fair, Clendening, played for seven franchises, so it clearly wasn’t only the Corsi Crowd who was intrigued by him.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
DeAngelo won't be the first or last Ranger blueliner to be oddly overrated. I think he should be getting more games and looks in this year but people are acting like a young impact blueliner is being unfairly scratched for some obscure reason.

We saw the same thing with Adam Clendenning (particular with the Corsi crew) and even Dylan McIlrath where people swore these guys were regular blueliners being unfairly shunned. Both players permanently out of the league even after transititioning to different organizations.

I see it as more of a timeline of events.

Don't like Clendening, so play Girardi until they buy him out, trade for Smith, trade for ADA, extend Smith, sign Shattenkirk and trade for McQuaid.

Wouldn't them just suffering though Clendening as the 3rd pair RD have saved them from many of those future events who all pretty much turned into 3rd pair RD?

I mean the next timeline

Don't like ADA, trade McQuaid, let ADA go or see him as the 7th/8th, watch Smith and Shattenkirk be bad, hope Pionk turns into a top pair D, and ?

If that ? mark leads them to another Smith, Shattenkirk, McQuaid would they have just been better off suffering through ADA?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We said the same thing about Marchessault, Wellman, Yandle, E.Staal, Sheppard, Stempniak, Clendening, McIlrath, Etem.

It's not about the player. It's a symptom of the team. They prefer some goon/vet over a player with any sort of potential.

Most of these players have gone on to not have success. A few have. That's not the point.

The point is the Rangers preferred a goon/vet when they were contending, they prefer a goon/vet when they're rebuilding, they'll always prefer a goon/vet.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
We said the same thing about Marchessault, Wellman, Yandle, E.Staal, Sheppard, Stempniak, Clendening, McIlrath, Etem.

It's not about the player. It's a symptom of the team. They prefer some goon/vet over a player with any sort of potential.

Most of these players have gone on to not have success. A few have. That's not the point.

The point is the Rangers preferred a goon/vet when they were contending, they prefer a goon/vet when they're rebuilding, they'll always prefer a goon/vet.

Quite a list of elite talent in that list the Rangers scoffed at.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Over who?

Hall of famers?

Doesn't matter.

They prefer inferior players. That's a problem.

And you can say it's just a bunch of 4th liners, but the Rangers 1RD role and role of most used defenseman at even strength (arguably the most important position on the ice) has been filled by bad players since the lockout because the Rangers love bad players.

But yeah, it's "just Clendening."

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think it's a stat thing, or a goon thing, it's the Rangers really have poor evaluations of defensemen.

3rd pair is 3rd pair, does not matter if it's Smith, Shattenkirk, Redden, Boyle, or Pionk, ADA, Clendening, J Moore but the first set is a ton more expensive and has longer lasting effects, but is not all that much more effective.

Every player there is or should have been a 12-14 minute a night defender, yet here they are currently with 8 such defenders who at most should be on the 3rd pair.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Doesn't matter.

They prefer inferior players. That's a problem.

And you can say it's just a bunch of 4th liners, but the Rangers 1RD role and role of most used defenseman at even strength (arguably the most important position on the ice) has been filled by bad players since the lockout because the Rangers love bad players.

But yeah, it's "just Clendening."

No. This is just an excuse to explain “what if”.

Fact is as “old school” as the “Girardis” are, they’ve stuck in the league over many
many hopefuls.

It’s not just an old boys club decision either. It doesn’t work like that anymore.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It doesn't matter if DeAngelo ever amounts to anything. All I wanted was a sign that the attitude changed around here following the letter.

But I don't DeAngelo or McQuaid to ruin that. I need look no further than the team tossing Pionk's corpse over the boards to get scored on four times a game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No. This is just an excuse to explain “what if”.

Fact is as “old school” as the “Girardis” are, they’ve stuck in the league over many
many hopefuls.

It’s not just an old boys club decision either. It doesn’t work like that anymore.

It is just an old boys club decision.

A team on pace to break the single-season wins record recently scratched Girardi, and when he does play, it's on their third pair.

Who are their other RHD? Anton Stralman (the same option we had) and a 20-year-old.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It is just an old boys club decision.

A team on pace to break the single-season wins record recently scratched Girardi, and when he does play, it's on their third pair.

Who are their other RHD? Anton Stralman (the same option we had) and a 20-year-old.

It’s not.

When a Ferrari turns out to be a shitty Hyundai with a body kit, I’m taking the Honda as the reliable car.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
That's not what we're talking about.

It's more like when a Ferrari turns out to be a ****ty Hyundai with a body kit, I'm taking a **** on myself because my bowels are consistent.

Take a Tums.

He’s just not that inportant, and the decisions made in regard to him will be taken with that perspective as they should.

Especially considering the work that needs to be done now.

No conspiracies or cover ups will be needed.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
So without ADA what are the RD for next season and the one beyond that?

Are they going to bring McQuaid back?

Or go after some long term expensive UFA who work out so well?

Lesser importance, sure but once the wheels are set in motion the Rangers make some really poor choices when they could have just gone cheap and easy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Take a Tums.

He’s just not that inportant, and the decisions made in regard to him will be taken with that perspective as they should.

Especially considering the work that needs to be done now.

No conspiracies or cover ups will be needed.
It is that important.

Don't put bad NHL'ers in huge roles and don't play non-NHL'ers at all is that important.

If you don't see that, well, maybe you should apply for work with the Rangers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Lesser importance, sure but once the wheels are set in motion the Rangers make some really poor choices when they could have just gone cheap and easy.
I'm sure they can't wait to bring McQuaid back.

You never know when Kadri might stand in front of our net.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Pionk, Shattenkirk, and some scrub they sign in FA

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'm sure they can't wait to bring McQuaid back.

You never know when Kadri might stand in front of our net.

That is a basis for my debate,

The Rangers have a passable RD who is like 23 year old, two of them in fact, and even though both would be better off playing 3rd pair (just as would every other defender on the team) it's not like they have a whole slew of better choices than to just play both of them.

There is no good solution, so why not just get by while they wait for their worse, yet more recently signed solutions to go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad