Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo (MOD WARNINGS: Post #12/#900)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
To be fair, there was no reference to effort. It might simply be that DeAngelo is failing to execute on more approach and system oriented things Quinn is preaching. A player can work hard and still perform poorly.

Could be. It's clearly some sort of attitude problem, and it's friggin bizarre that DeAngelo can't seem to fix whatever it is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Could be. It's clearly some sort of attitude problem, and it's friggin bizarre that DeAngelo can't seem to fix whatever it is.

It does seem bizarre. I also think that if he’s been working hard and hasn’t had any attitude issues, Quinn would probably have rewarded him with another game in there somewhere, even if he was struggling with execution.

I’m just saying that there’s room for interpretation in his comment.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To be fair, there was no reference to effort. It might simply be that DeAngelo is failing to execute on more approach and system oriented things Quinn is preaching. A player can work hard and still perform poorly.
Absolutely true. However, there are other guys clearly struggling with execution in the new system. I love Pionk but he's a mess sometimes. So why is ADA the only one who sits for seven straight?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It does seem bizarre. I also think that if he’s been working hard and hasn’t had any attitude issues, Quinn would probably have rewarded him with another game in there somewhere, even if he was struggling with execution.

I’m just saying that there’s room for interpretation in his comment.

It could also be beyond effort/execution in practice. Lets be honest here, the kid has a checkered history of being a jerk.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i believe hes got an attitude and he may be one of those spoiled kids who says stuff under his breath or shows a measure of entitlement or whatever. hockey comes easy to him, being a clown may come easier.

its clearly something that has held him back in the past and continues today. skill wise hes solid and ive defended him here many times before but this is continuing to be a problem and eventually the light has to shine directly on him.

Reactions: jacko23

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
That’s right guys judge a 22 yr old off the attitude he had as a teenager... people grow and mature. You can’t just say he has an attitude problem because he was cocky when he was 17-18 tearing up juniors and becoming a first round draft pick

Reactions: belford222

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It could also be beyond effort/execution in practice. Lets be honest here, the kid has a checkered history of being a jerk.

If he is a jerk the Rangers may want to learn how to deal with it and at least figure out a way to turn him into some sort of asset.

Are they planning to go through a whole rebuild without again running into personality conflicts?

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Absolutely true. However, there are other guys clearly struggling with execution in the new system. I love Pionk but he's a mess sometimes. So why is ADA the only one who sits for seven straight?

Perhaps it's something as simple as humility. I don't know the guy, but Quinn appears to value character and discipline, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit a guy who perhaps has too much "swag" or doesn't mold himself to the new culture.

But, again, that's just speculation on my part.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
That’s right guys judge a 22 yr old off the attitude he had as a teenager... people grow and mature. You can’t just say he has an attitude problem because he was cocky when he was 17-18 tearing up juniors and becoming a first round draft pick

Practically speaking, he needs to get right with Quinn fast if he's going to play hockey for the New York Rongos.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean he was benched a few times in Syracuse and also suspended for trying to swat the referee's hands off of him. Those wouldn't be big things on their own but it's a perpetuation of a pattern going back to the stuff you mentioned in Junior.

The reality is we have a bunch of guys struggling to adapt to a new coach and system and none of them get benched for two and a half weeks consecitico or whatever it is. Why is that? The guys that play are making a lot of mistakes but they still play, so it seems unlikely he's sitting just because his defense sucks. What is it? I know you offered the breakfast club scenario, but the reality is obviously something else.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

No one know with certainty what's going on with ADA right now but it's okay to acknowledge that the most likely explanation is that it's character-related. He's got a history of conduct (yes some kids grow up but others don't), he's been moved multiple times despite pedigree, and he's 0 for 2 with Rangers coaches. Make no mistake, I'm rooting for the kid, but I haven't seen much reason to believe he's getting the shaft here.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
His name is Anthony DeAngelo, and he hangs out with someone named Vinni Letierri.... If there were a guy to do it on the team.

Maybe we can get Joe Pesci to join the team and complete "La Connessione Italiana". God knows, even at his age, every team would be terrified to play us.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Perhaps it's something as simple as humility. I don't know the guy, but Quinn appears to value character and discipline, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit a guy who perhaps has too much "swag" or doesn't mold himself to the new culture.

But, again, that's just speculation on my part.

He's a bit of a hothead with a quick-trigger temper on the ice.
He probably carries himself that way in practice.
Quinn is a big proponent of evaluating players by the way they practice.
Extrapolate.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He's a bit of a hothead with a quick-trigger temper on the ice.
He probably carries himself that way in practice.
Quinn is a big proponent of evaluating players by the way they practice.
Extrapolate.

Then we have our answer.

Reactions: will1066

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I mean he was benched a few times in Syracuse and also suspended for trying to swat the referee's hands off of him. Those wouldn't be big things on their own but it's a perpetuation of a pattern going back to the stuff you mentioned in Junior.

The reality is we have a bunch of guys struggling to adapt to a new coach and system and none of them get benched for two and a half weeks consecitico or whatever it is. Why is that? The guys that play are making a lot of mistakes but they still play, so it seems unlikely he's sitting just because his defense sucks. What is it? I know you offered the breakfast club scenario, but the reality is obviously something else.

exactly. its a discipline thing. its got to be. hes a gambler on the ice and a risk taker with his game and a bit of a character off of it. no problem, phil kessel is different, theres room for different, but theres no wiggle room for a bad attitude.

unfortunately, he could help us but again, the tank is real and jack hughes is in our sites.

Reactions: nyr2k2

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Do we have any evidence of these attitude issues?

I know practice is important and everything, but at what point does in game performance take the upper hand? Because there is a guy who has played every game on D that has been our worst player.

Like I've said: our coaching staff interacts with these guys daily. Our GM and others before him have likely seen something special in the player. Several coaching staffs have given him chances. He's clearly talented and (at least in the games I've seen) doesn't commit egregious mistakes. Something else is amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad