Recalled/Assigned: Tony DeAngelo back to Wolfpack

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Gotta imagine they were already planning to send Tony down when they traded for Sproul.

How far they're planning ahead, and, for what, is anyones guess.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Guys, I get the high emotions here, but let's take it down a notch and try and look at this objectively.

The point of sending ADA is not to punish him, it's to play a part in developing him. He's going to get a lot of ice time, he's going to a league that focuses on development.

He also just turned 22 today.

To put that into perspective - on Brady Skjei's 22nd birthday, he was finishing up his first full season in the AHL, and 76th AHL game overall, before he would get a look and eventually make the team the following season.

On his 22nd birthday, Ryan McDonagh had played 7 less NHL games.

The point is, this kid is still young and a work in progress. We've got some time here people.
not disagreeing with you, and the way things stand right now, i think its the best move for him..but i still contend, that the way things stand now is wholly unacceptable.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This isn't me bragging about being right, and don't misconstrue this as me being happy about this decision, this coach, or the way this team is headed, because I promise I'm as angry and frustrated as a lot of you are.

But I told you guys that ADA would be in the AHL before 2018. And everyone told me I was crazy. And I told you guys to consider who this coach is, and how he treats young players he perceives as not being adept in the defensive zone. And everyone told me I was crazy.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Are we planning on tanking? Is there a fire sale coming?

I think they are planning to try to save this season by making some sort of panic trade because they had a bad off-season, which was built on a bad trade deadline last year, which was built off bad long term planning a long time ago.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Or they're sending him down to be able to play him in all situations and work on the things that EVERYONE knew he had to work on coming into this season.

This isn't a move about playing Nick Holden, it's a move to develop ADA.

And playing ADA in all of the situations he will play in Hartford is not going to happen at the NHL level. Not yet at least.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It makes some sense to me. The Rangers are going to go with their vet D and see how that works--if they can tighten it up and Tony hasn't been getting enough ice time anyway.

I don't see it fixing things though. The real problems are their sluggish starts that leave them chasing practically every game--a shitty penalty kill and some very mediocre goaltending....and then there are numerous players playing and/or producing below (sometimes well below) expectations---McDonagh, Nash, Kreider, Zuccarello for instance.

But back to DeAngelo--it's not like he was making much of a contribution anyway even with the scant playing time he was getting. I do hope this doesn't mean we get to see more of Adam Cracknell though.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'd rather he get #1 minutes in Hartford than #7 minutes here.

It's not the end for Tony D. He's certainly in the team's future plans.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Not a fan of this move but I guess its better than letting ADA play 6 min a game with AV behind the bench. Unless another move is in the works do we continue rolling 7D with Kampfer or do we put Cracknell/Carey back in? Both options sound pretty awful to me.

Edit: Apparently Cracknell has also been waived

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Or they're sending him down to be able to play him in all situations and work on the things that EVERYONE knew he had to work on coming into this season.

This isn't a move about playing Nick Holden, it's a move to develop ADA.

And playing ADA in all of the situations he will play in Hartford is not going to happen at the NHL level. Not yet at least.

Or you know, he could play in all situations in the NHL, because he's better than half our defense and a tailor-made McDonagh partner.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not that the Rangers are ever leading anymore, but should they get the chance I for one can not wait to see the Staal Holden shutdown pair back in effect.

Reactions: GregSirico

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Or you know, he could play in all situations in the NHL, because he's better than half our defense and a tailor-made McDonagh partner.

That's a very strong assertion and I'm not convinced a fully accurate one.

Maybe better than half our defense on pro contracts, but not of the 7 we have in the NHL.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's a very strong assertion and I'm not convinced a fully accurate one.

Maybe better than half our defense on pro contracts, but not of the 7 we have in the NHL.

He's easily better than Holden and Staal and has significantly outplayed Skjei, who hasn't shown any ability to be effective against competition that isn't awful.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm not one to usually think domino moves are coming, but kind of seems like they are making room for something. Probably just a Letteri call up.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm mad at this because there is no rudder and unless there's a bigger move in place, this just looks stupid. I do think ADA needs more seasoning/slow cooking but I feel like we don't have many competent options and he brought something the guys can't do well. He moves the puck and shoots.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Frankly, I think a lot of forwards would tune his ass up, at this point, if we tried that.

I'd caution that throwing a developing young player into the deep end of the pool is not always the best way to get them experience. Sometimes, as we've seen many times, it very much has the reverse effect.

This is especially true when they play defense, which always takes a little longer to develop.

And in ADA's case, it's his defensive play that we all know he is still working to develop.

He literally just turned 22, this is hardly unexpected or unchartered territory.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad