GDT: Tony D won't be visiting YOUR CAROLINA HURRICANES tonight because he speared someone in the Tony D

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Man have we ever become spoiled. This is the best Hurricanes team ever and we are lamenting about ugly wins, not finishing chances and not scoring, not making enough moves at the deadline, etc..

Just to re-cap. Since Black Friday:

33-6-4 (133 point 82 game pace)
.814 points %: 1st in the NHL
3.7 GF/GP: 2nd best in the NHL
2.33 GA/GP: 2nd best in the NHL
26.5% PP: 4th best in the NHL
24.2% Net PP: 2nd best in the NHL
85.6% PK: 3rd best in the NHL
92.8% Net PK: best in the NHL
Shots / GP: 3rd best in the NHL
SA/GP: Best in the NHL
FOW%: 6th best in the NHL
SH%: 10th best in the NHL

On the season, this team has trailed only 10:56 per game on average, which is the least amount of any team in the NHL and they've led 28:42 per game on average, so almost half of every game on average.

Yeah, I know the playoffs are different and going further in the playoffs is the goal, but there are so many really good teams in the East that it's a crap shoot. Until then, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Man have we ever become spoiled. This is the best Hurricanes team ever and we are lamenting about ugly wins, not finishing chances and not scoring, not making enough moves at the deadline, etc..

On the season, this team has trailed only 10:56 per game on average, which is the least amount of any team in the NHL and they've led 28:42 per game on average, so almost half of every game on average.

Yeah, I know the playoffs are different and going further in the playoffs is the goal, but there are so many really good teams in the East that it's a crap shoot. Until then, I'm going to just sit back and enjoy the ride.
So much all of that. I can get being upset with lack of big moves or being skeptical of how the playoffs will go but enjoy these rides. The majority of teams in a given regular season will just lose most of their ugly games and some of their great ones. This team is really good even when it's bad.

If this team finishes where it's been pacing all season, well, go look where the point total would rank all time. It's easier to get points now, but it has a chance to rank pretty high. Have some fun people.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Man I don't think that was an ugly win. The Canes owned the Flyers all game, and from where I sat it looked like they were trying some new things out over the course of the game. While the PP went something like 1 for 4, its not like they weren't creating really good chances. Their goalie played a remarkably good game and the Flyers were selling out defensively to clog the shooting lanes. That prevented us from scoring, but also prevented them from really ever getting anything going offensively.

Play that same game 10 times we probably score 3 or 4 in 8 of them and the Flyers maybe get 1 or 2 in 3 of them. This was a game that never felt out of our control.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Even the one where we held the Tampa Bay Lightning to 0 shots for entire period, making them the only team to have 0 shots in a period this season, then went on to shut them out, score 6 goals, including a hat trick from TT?
I thought Tampa looked especially ugly in that game.
obi-wan-kenobi-certain-point-of-view.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So much all of that. I can get being upset with lack of big moves or being skeptical of how the playoffs will go but enjoy these rides. The majority of teams in a given regular season will just lose most of their ugly games and some of their great ones. This team is really good even when it's bad.

If this team finishes where it's been pacing all season, well, go look where the point total would rank all time. It's easier to get points now, but it has a chance to rank pretty high. Have some fun people.
Even when this team "stunk" for the first part of the season (start - thanksgiving), they still had the 7th best points % (.600) in the East and 12th best in the NHL. If they played that way all season, they'd comfortably be in the 1st WC spot and right behind the Rangers for the 3rd Metro spot. This team's bad was a lot better than most team's good.

I suspect this team will let off the gas some down the stretch, which is what many have asked for. I've seen it in some of these games where they seem to be coasting more. The coaching staff even said they weren't going to ride Freddy or Raanta too hard down the stretch. Hopefully they find the right balance between winning and taking care of themselves, but I expect we'll see a few games like that. I know many want to make sure we finish first in the Metro, but that doesn't concern me much. We have to go through good teams regardless.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The one time I got nervous was when Calvin "Is that Rookie Scott Morrow in his first shift?" De Haan skated the puck directly into Kochetkov while trying to avoid a defender. I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen like that. Looked like a bad 2-on-0.
After that play I was explaining to my wife "That's the kind of play we were warned about from Gostisbehere. But it was his partner who did it."

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Also shout outs to Ivan Provorov, who lied down flat as a SET PLAY on our powerplay formation. I've never seen anything like it. Every time we got it to the player near the goal line to the right of Sandstrom, Provo dove down to clog the passing lane and complicate the shooting lane. For a second I thought he was literally just doing push-ups on the ice during the kill.

Somehow there has to be a pride day joke about this but I will leave it to you tasteless bastards to think of one. :sarcasm:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Even when this team "stunk" for the first part of the season (start - thanksgiving), they still had the 7th best points % (.600) in the East and 12th best in the NHL. If they played that way all season, they'd comfortably be in the 1st WC spot and right behind the Rangers for the 3rd Metro spot. This team's bad was a lot better than most team's good.

I suspect this team will let off the gas some down the stretch, which is what many have asked for. I've seen it in some of these games where they seem to be coasting more. The coaching staff even said they weren't going to ride Freddy or Raanta too hard down the stretch. Hopefully they find the right balance between winning and taking care of themselves, but I expect we'll see a few games like that. I know many want to make sure we finish first in the Metro, but that doesn't concern me much. We have to go through good teams regardless.

They need to rest some guys a game here or there for the POs.

Call up Drury...rest Staal.
Put in PP rotate out Fast, MartyParty, Svech....whoever.

Need these guys as fresh as possible for the POs.

Koochie breaks his ejection streak :(

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
After that play I was explaining to my wife "That's the kind of play we were warned about from Gostisbehere. But it was his partner who did it."

Yep, that’s why I’m not worried about Gostisbehere. We’re gonna get gaffes like that from either of them. Might as well get the borderline elite offensive production from the blueline while we’re at it.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Also shout outs to Ivan Provorov, who lied down flat as a SET PLAY on our powerplay formation. I've never seen anything like it. Every time we got it to the player near the goal line to the right of Sandstrom, Provo dove down to clog the passing lane and complicate the shooting lane. For a second I thought he was literally just doing push-ups on the ice during the kill.

Somehow there has to be a pride day joke about this but I will leave it to you tasteless bastards to think of one. :sarcasm:
Pretty sure that was Sanheim--#6 and not Provorov #9---but laying on the ice all game, I guess it would depend on which end of the ice you were on... After the 20th time of doing it, I was hoping somebody would grant his wish and put a puck into his ribs.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They need to rest some guys a game here or there for the POs.

Call up Drury...rest Staal.
Put in PP rotate out Fast, MartyParty, Svech....whoever.

Need these guys as fresh as possible for the POs.

Koochie breaks his ejection streak :(
At the very least, I'd like to see us try some alternatives with our 3rd line. We need to see if we have the ability to mix things up and still perform high before it becomes a critical issue in a playoff series.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Are you trying to alter the narrative with facts and numbers? We choose narratives based on our day to day mood.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I never would have guessed I would have said this at any time during my life, but Noesen's work in front of the net on the PP is the difference between it going and not going a lot of the time. next time that unit is out there, try to iso on him and see how much abuse he takes to stay there. it's unreal that he's that pivotal. wasn't there a site that used to track screen assists? if he doesn't lead the league it would be shocking. not nearly enough credit for the grit he brings.
Noesen has been a revelation. I admittedly overlooked him but the borg clearly didn’t after his insane season in the AHL last year. I figured it was just an older player dominating in a Keith Aucoin journeyman like way. But that definitely sells him short

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

Yes I have been spoiled... so what

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad