Tonight's Canada Exhibition Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
RoyIsALegend said:
Canadian defence looks very impressive, and Jeff Glass seemed comfortable with the limited work-load he experienced.

I am sort of upset that it seems like Anthony Stewart won't have a major role on this club. He's just stuck down the pecking order of wingers this year, unfortunately.

Phaneuf, Dixon, Fraser, and Ladd didn't really impress me.

Came away impressed with Crosby, Bergeron, Richards, Carter, Weber, MacArthur and Perry. Getzlaf was alright.
Pretty hard for Dixon to impress when he doesn't play. He played the least out of any forwards.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Just watching Ladd and Coburn play, it blows my mind how these guys were such high draft picks. And Ladd, well he does the small things well, but doesn't look like he's got any major upside to go #4 in the draft.

Agreed.

I also find it odd that while commentators drool over Crosby's various talents, they don't discuss his spectacular speed.
They talk about his vision, shot, strength on the puck: which are all true but it flows from his speed, its simply unreal and looks totally effortless.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Dr.Sens(e) said:
The thing that stood out to me...for those who haven't seen Crosby play since last year (like me), he seems quite a bit faster. He seemed to be the most dynamic skater on the ice by a fair margin.
I think his flat out speed has improved a little but he has always had amazing
acceleration.I think the real difference you're noticing is he is playing wing instead
of a puck carrying center,thus utilizing his speed more.

Quite frankly,I'm a little surprised at all the gushing over Crosby compared to last
year when there were alot of naysayers.He was pretty impressive last as a 16 yr
old but he was only given 5-6 minutes of icetime a game.

The thing that does stand out for me is how well he is adjusting to wing but I
think playing with Bergeron helps.His skills are really best suited for center though.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Canada definitly proved last night that they are the team to beat. This is the best Canadian junior team in a long time.
Glass played very solid last night and should be good enough for this team to win gold.
He has the best defence in the tournament in front of him. I thought Weber and Barker played awesome last night and Phaneuf played good but didn't stand out as much as I thought he would. The rest of the defence played very solid but I'd like to see more out of Coburn. His play seemed very average and I'd expect more out of a guy that was drafted 8th overall.
Right now I'd have Phaneuf, Barker, Weber and Belle ahead of Coburn as far as their play is concerned.
Up front Bergy and Crosby were amazing. Both Colliton and Perry looked good playing with them.
I was very impressed with the 4th line especially Fraser and MacCarthur. They hit everything in sight and are good backcheckers.
Richards line was good especially Richards himself. I'd like to see Stewart get more physical and really use his strength.
Carter's line had their chances and laid out some big hits as well.
Overall, I came away very impressed by the entire team as they looked very strong in every aspect of the game.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
allrevvedup25 said:
After watching Bergeron last night, you can tell he played in the NHL. Nobody on the Finns could stop him, when they tryed to hit him, he flattened them!!! LOVE TO SEE THIS AS A CANADIAN!!!!

Were Canada to win gold, would he then be the first player to win a World Championship gold before a World Junior gold?

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Jussi said:
Were Canada to win gold, would he then be the first player to win a World Championship gold before a World Junior gold?

The guys on TSN last night seemed to think that he might very well be the first player to even *play* in the World Juniors after winning an World Championship gold. So, yes. :)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
trahans99 said:
How did Corey Perry look? I saw bits and pieces of the game but didn't see much of him. I read he played well though. Any thoughts?

He was great. I really think he should be on the line with Bergeron and Crosby. I was very impressed with Perry. Looking quite good. Hopefully coach will see the potential there and give him a shot. he is far far better then the 13th forward position he was playing. Actually after Crosby, Bergeron and Richards, he was the next best forward.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Aaron Vickers said:
True.

I don't think anyone would deny you that claim.

However, I think the line of Crosby-Bergeron-Colliton allows Crosby and Bergeron a much greater luxury of focusing solely on playing on the offensive with the defensive awareness of Colliton.

Crosby/Bergy dont need to have a grinding winger on thier line. Bergeron played in the NHL, obviously his defensive game is near the best on the team if he could play at that level. Also Crosby's defensive game is underrated because of what he does offensivly. Perry should be on that line. Just because Colliton is on teh 2nd line it doesnt mean that Crosby and Bergy are floating.

I dont really get the logic of putting Colliton with them.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Crosby/Bergy dont need to have a grinding winger on thier line. Bergeron played in the NHL, obviously his defensive game is near the best on the team if he could play at that level. Also Crosby's defensive game is underrated because of what he does offensivly. Perry should be on that line. Just because Colliton is on teh 2nd line it doesnt mean that Crosby and Bergy are floating.

I think it gives them a player who plays more of a powerforward style than Perry. Colliton can grind along the boards and get the puck out of the corner. He can tie up defenders to give Crosby and Bergeron more open ice. He can drive the net.

In general I like the idea of playing a guy who plays more of a power game with a couple players who play more a finesse style.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The 13th forward in the past has come up big for Canada

98 - Tangauy was 13th and led the team in scoring
99 - Gagne was 13th and he worked his up and was a top scorer on the team
00 - Reid was 13th forward and he worked his up as well.

Dont count out those 13th forwards :)

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
La-La-Laprise said:

Me neither :dunno:

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Well, I think two goals from that line is a pretty good reason to keep them together. Plus some people forget that Perry got the chance to play with Bergeron and Crosby and tryouts and pretty much did absolutely nothing. Now we can argue over this all night long. But I think a 6-0 win against the Fins is a very nice start and we shouldn't be changing anything. Keep Perry on the PP with those two, and keep Colitton 5 on 5. It has seem to be working well.

By the way, I really liked the PP last night. Bergeron is amazing.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
La-La-Laprise said:
The 13th forward in the past has come up big for Canada

98 - Tangauy was 13th and led the team in scoring
99 - Gagne was 13th and he worked his up and was a top scorer on the team
00 - Reid was 13th forward and he worked his up as well.

Dont count out those 13th forwards :)

I'd add Mike Zigomanis from a couple years ago to this list as well. Another guy who worked his way up and was playing a crucial role by the medal rounds.

As Bob Mackenzie has said on the telecasts. The player who starts the tournament as the 13th forward, very rarely finishes the tournament as the 13th forward.

chicpea*

Bandwagoner said:
Well, I think two goals from that line is a pretty good reason to keep them together. Plus some people forget that Perry got the chance to play with Bergeron and Crosby and tryouts and pretty much did absolutely nothing. Now we can argue over this all night long. But I think a 6-0 win against the Fins is a very nice start and we shouldn't be changing anything. Keep Perry on the PP with those two, and keep Colitton 5 on 5. It has seem to be working well.

I agree. Bergeron, Crosby, and Colliton seemed pretty darn effective to me without Perry. Similarly, no one can argue that Perry was invisible last night. He had tonnes of ice time and was dangerous on every line he played. Maybe I'll change my opinion when the Bergeron line starts dipping in the plus/minus category. Until then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

By the way, what really impressed me about Crosby last night wasn't his speed, his shot, his vision or his strength. It was his brain and his determination when it came to the one on one battles. Seriously, I don't think he lost a single battle in the corners or along the boards. And there were a lot of them. He would come up with the puck in the most improbable situations. Simply amazing.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Seriously, I don't think he lost a single battle in the corners or along the boards. And there were a lot of them. He would come up with the puck in the most improbable situations. Simply amazing.

So true.
his balance is obscene.... he simply inserts himself into the play and always seems to be the one to come up with the puck.

chicpea*

Does anyone have any news on Seabrook? I know that [email protected] was hinting last night that he was still very tender and can't even shoot at the moment. It's only four days away now and I'm not sure Sutter will go with a guy who's, at best, at 75% :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad