Pre-Game Talk: Tomorrow is Saturday Night, and another BOA shall commence 8PM MT on HNIC/CHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I’ve been working on a new analytic metric, it measures the players impact on the game.

It’s called GAS (Game Affective Score). The score is out of 100, 100 represents a perfect score based on 17 stats with specific weighting. From a points stand point 65 Goals and 100 Assists are part of the “Perfect Score”. The score factors offence and defence.

I’m currently working on Forwards and will be releasing defence and goalies in the near future.

I’m taking requests for players and working on the top players in the league.

I’m an Oilers fan at heart but the results are unbiased.

Here are the top 10 GAS scores:

1. Auston Matthews - 73.73
2. Nathan MacKinnon - 67.67
3. Alex Ovechkin - 67.54
4. Connor McDavid - 67.15
5. Evander Kane - 65.42
6. Leon Draisaitl - 63.57
7. Mikko Rantanen - 62.07
8. JT Miller - 61.50
9. Nazem Kadri - 60.11
10. Kyle Connor - 59.73

Auston Matthews is honestly having a great year, I hate to admit it, his next closest teammate is Marner at 58.67.

Let me know what you all think.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I’ve been working on a new analytic metric, it measures the players impact on the game.

It’s called GAS (Game Affective Score). The score is out of 100, 100 represents a perfect score based on 17 stats with specific weighting. From a points stand point 65 Goals and 100 Assists are part of the “Perfect Score”. The score factors offence and defence.

I’m currently working on Forwards and will be releasing defence and goalies in the near future.

3. Alex Ovechkin - 67.54
5. Evander Kane - 65.42
8. JT Miller - 61.50
9. Nazem Kadri - 60.11
10. Kyle Connor - 59.73

Auston Matthews is honestly having a great year, I hate to admit it, his next closest teammate is Marner at 58.67.

I think the results of your model speak for themselves.

Kane > Drai
Ovi >McDavid

Reactions: Oilers 322 and TB12

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I think the results of your model speak for themselves.

Kane > Drai
Ovi >McDavid
It’s doesn’t mean that one player is better then the other in a traditional sense.

Kane currently has a smaller sample size, however if his pace continued and combined with his physical play then yes my model would indicate that overall he would have a greater impact in a game by a small amount.

Same with Ovechkin. Good point totals combined with a ton of hits and shot totals. He’s having an outstanding year and barely leads Connor.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

3. Alex Ovechkin - 67.54
5. Evander Kane - 65.42
8. JT Miller - 61.50
9. Nazem Kadri - 60.11
10. Kyle Connor - 59.73

As my math teachers used to say to me, “TB12, we need to see your work”.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Just a bunch of random numbers on a spreadsheet.

I’ve been wanting to make something for a while. I’m enjoying it, could be complete BS to some or all but it’s showing some interesting results. Quite frankly the Oilers are looking quite deep.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its cool they called you TB12 before Tom Brady was famous. ;)

Not sure what to make of this game. Seems as if we will face Calgary at some point post season. Do the Oilers play a message game here or don't show their hand. I suspect they bring what they got. While the Oilers are capable of scoring still some leaks to be fixed. We'll see if they are airtight. Calgary are more dangerous now that they have a range scorer like Toffoli who can pot a big goal on a quick release from anywhere. They do seem to be wearing out Markstrom just in time so thats good.

Reactions: RattsSSV and TB12

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
It’s doesn’t mean that one player is better then the other in a traditional sense.

Kane currently has a smaller sample size, however if his pace continued and combined with his physical play then yes my model would indicate that overall he would have a greater impact in a game by a small amount.

Same with Ovechkin. Good point totals combined with a ton of hits and shot totals. He’s having an outstanding year and barely leads Connor.
I don't see the value in shots alone, makes sense that the model would overvalue volume shooters by double counting shots and goals.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The book on Jacob Markstrom is shoot from the high slot. Ten feet inside the blueline to 5 feet across the top of the face-off circles. Generally easily accessible ice when you have full control in the offensive zone and that's the magic spot with this goaltender. Bouchard should be able to skate in and get 5 shots off from that area. He will be a potent weapon against the Flames if he can manage that.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just a bunch of random numbers on a spreadsheet.

I’ve been wanting to make something for a while. I’m enjoying it, could be complete BS to some or all but it’s showing some interesting results. Quite frankly the Oilers are looking quite deep.
A good test for a model is to see if it produces results that are consistent with strong consensus. Ovechkin over McDavid should tell you that you need adjustment in your model. In this case, I would say that the evidence is not pointing in the right direction. My guess is that your model over values hits a lot and perhaps goals to a degree.

Shots are another stat that requires care. A poorly chosen shot could easily be a turnover so rather than being viewed as a positive it could be a negative. A guy like Leon for example takes far fewer shots that most goal scorers of his caliber because at ES he looks for the pass. McDavid is very similar in this respect. In neither case should this be considered a negative in the model.

Hockey is a very challenging sport to try to fully quantify a players impact in a single stat. As a test run it on past year data and see if McDavid comes out on top or at the very least in the top 2 each year. If not it needs to be tweaked because no player in the game has as much impact as he does.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Going to the home and garden show today. Should be a nice little day with the family

Then home tonight to watch the oilers smash the flames while I drink whiskey.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

3. Alex Ovechkin - 67.54
5. Evander Kane - 65.42
8. JT Miller - 61.50
9. Nazem Kadri - 60.11
10. Kyle Connor - 59.73

“based on 17 stats with specific weighting”

“ the results are unbiased.”

Okay, so what process did you follow to come up with the weighting for these stats? Based on your results, I’m guessing you did not Follow a standard process. Would love to be surprised.

”What is the ideal weighting for various input stats?” — coming up with with a good answer to this question is the only important step when amalgamating an overall rating. Show your work!

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad