Player Discussion Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I've always been a fan of Tatar. Like Max he has a good shot and should do well on the 2nd line. Even with his recent struggles he is still a solid 20 goal scorer and is just entering his prime so these next few years are big for him.

Reactions: Runner77

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
If he doesn't bounce back next season, then I would keep him. There is no rush to trade him, he still has 3 years left.
Just trade him once he is doing good and his value is at the highest.

Would be funny though if he does better than Patch next season

This right here. He's fine as top 9 filler on the left side for the next few years. But if/when he regains some form and has value is when you try to pull off a trade, whenever that might happen. He should not be looked at as someone to be re-signed coming out of this rebuild.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Galchenyuk.

I agree but not sure by how much.

- Galchenyuk averages 21 goals per season while Tatar averages 23.
- Galchenyuk averages 50pts per season while Tatar averages 44
- Galchenyuk has played 418 NHL games while Tatar has played 427
- Galchenyuk is age 24 and Tatar is 27.
- Galchenyuk is a winger but also a fringe center and Tatar plays both wings.
- Galchenyuk is 6'-1", 207 Lbs and Tatar is 5'-10", 185 Lbs

Edge to Galchenyuk but this is closer than most want to admit.

Reactions: Shad and Tyson

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
I believe that the ntc was gone once he waived it when he was traded to Vegas.

It's also my understanding:

Per cap friendly :

CLAUSE DETAILS
:
Full NTC starting July 1, 2018, up until February 1, 2020. From February 2, 2020 onward, player can submit a 15 team no trade list.
Clause details were not honoured by VGK after the trade on Feb 26, 2018*

Basically, he dropped his NTC to go to Vegas, so Habs can also trade him anytime to anyone. Hopefully, Tatar has a good season, goes back to 50 pts and gets us a 1st at trade deadline.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Galchenyuk is younger, matched Tatar's best season at a younger age playing on a team with no offensive stars, centres while being dicked up and down the line up for 5 years. Already 2 50 point seasons before the age of 25. Finished top 2 in Habs scoring in two of the last 3 seasons.

I wonder how Galchenyuk would have developed on a team with talent like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Galchenyuk is younger, matched Tatar's best season at a younger age playing on a team with no offensive stars, centres while being dicked up and down the line up for 5 years. Already 2 50 point seasons before the age of 25. Finished top 2 in Habs scoring in two of the last 3 seasons.

I wonder how Galchenyuk would have developed on a team with talent like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

& Larkin ;)

Reactions: Andy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's a good point but the talent level and work ethic is similar. Tatar is a few more years older though. Like I said, Edge to Galchenyuk for sure but I don't think these two are that far apart.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess it's like saying Pacioretty is gonna be a 40 goal scorer because he had one season of 39 goals.

No, the point was potential. Tatar has 30 goal potential and Patch has 40 goal potential. Depends on a lot of things if they reach those levels though.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It's a good point but the talent level and work ethic is similar. Tatar is a few more years older though. Like I said, Edge to Galchenyuk for sure but I don't think these two are that far apart.
I disagree. When Galchenyuk got to play alongside top level talent like Radulov, he was an a PPG pace.

On a club with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, Tatar's best season matched Galchenyuk's best season while playing with guys like Pacioretty, Gallagher.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I disagree. When Galchenyuk got to play alongside top level talent like Radulov, he was an a PPG pace.

On a club with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, Tatar's best season matched Galchenyuk's best season while playing with guys like Pacioretty, Gallagher.

You dissagree and you think the gab is massive? Or are you overlooking the point where I already said the edge goes to Galchenyuk. How about you rate these two on a scale of 1-10

Galchenyuk- 7
Tatar - 6

You are acting like Galchenyuk is a 8 and Tatar is a 5.

Reactions: sandviper

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Tatar is exactly the kind of asset we should be acquiring since we're not in it to win it all next season. A nice reclaimation project that was an added piece to the real prize of the trade, Suzuki. Play him and hope he figures it out and at worst he'll still contribute 20 goals and skates well.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
You dissagree and you think the gab is massive? Or are you overlooking the point where I already said the edge goes to Galchenyuk. How about you rate these two on a scale of 1-10

Galchenyuk- 7
Tatar - 6

You are acting like Galchenyuk is a 8 and Tatar is a 5.
Who cares about scale ? Galchenyuk is better and younger. He’s matched Tatar’s best at a far younger age playing with less talent. He out produced Tatar last year while spending almost 1/5th of the season on the 4th line. He’s better. That’s all that matters.

Reactions: Peanut

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I think why some people, including myself, would probably suggest Galchenyuk is that "potential" which sadly Alex never reached with consistency and probably would never have in a Habs jersey. I think Alex is the better offensive player, but I resigned to the fact he was never going to be that guy here. He had great numbers at times, but there is no Radulov, Markov, Subban or any sort of elite player to play with anymore. Plus, he was never going to play center again in a Habs jersey.

Tatar may not either, but fresh face, fresh team, maybe he can channel his productive self and shine here. Or, he'll be slammed after every game as being another failed reclamation project. Me personally, I think Tatar will be good for 20g+ and 40pts+.

As for Alex, I think he's going to light it up in Arizona. He just wouldn't have done it here, especially with how our team is built for the coming season.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think why some people, including myself, would probably suggest Galchenyuk is that "potential" which sadly Alex never reached with consistency and probably would never have in a Habs jersey. I think Alex is the better offensive player, but I resigned to the fact he was never going to be that guy here. He had great numbers at times, but there is no Radulov, Markov, Subban or any sort of elite player to play with anymore. Plus, he was never going to play center again in a Habs jersey.

Tatar may not either, but fresh face, fresh team, maybe he can channel his productive self and shine here. Or, he'll be slammed after every game as being another failed reclamation project. Me personally, I think Tatar will be good for 20g+ and 40pts+.

As for Alex, I think he's going to light it up in Arizona. He just wouldn't have done it here, especially with how our team is built for the coming season.

It's fair. I always liked Galchenyuk and if you asked me if I would trade him for Tatar straight up I would of said no. I just think at this stage these two are close but it's anybodies guess what direction they each take moving forward on different teams.

Edge to Galchenyuk for sure.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It's fair. I always liked Galchenyuk and if you asked me if I would trade him for Tatar straight up I would of said no. I just think at this stage these two are close but it's anybodies guess what direction they each take moving forward on different teams.

Pretty much this. The players of today are close, but Alex had the potential (and may still have it, but he's nearing the end of his peak development period) to be more, but whatever... CJ as head coach, the crap in the media, no decent offensive pairings with Alex meant the Alex we saw last year would likely had been the Alex of 2018-2019 in a Habs jersey.

That said, I am not sure comparisons to Galchenyuk would be fair. A more interesting discussion would be Tatar and Pacioretty. Never mind past performance, clearly Max is superior. It's the future that can be up for debate. Maybe Tatar will or won't score 20 with us, but would Max? It was an off-year for him last season I think, but the team we can argue didn't really change. Tatar makes more now, but Max will make more after this season. Add to it, it's not like we'll suddenly have elite players in 2019-2020 who are NHL-ready that will help Max pot 30g+.

To be fair, I don't know Tatar's two-way game, so I don't know what value he has there, but all things being as it were going into this season, and the foreseeable future, I am fine with Tatar. If he doesn't work out, by the time our prospects make it (I'm being optimistic and hoping they reach potential), Tatar will likely have moved on.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have seen Tatar play on many occasions and I always considered him a threat on the ice. He has scored several goals against the Habs. He is only 27 and has 25 goal skills. Let’s not put him in the dog house yet. He will fill the goal scoring void somewhat.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have seen Tatar play on many occasions and I always considered him a threat on the ice. He has scored several goals against the Habs. He is only 27 and has 25 goal skills. Let’s not put him in the dog house yet. He will fill the goal scoring void somewhat.

This roster needs his shot.... Especially with Galchenyuk and Patch gone. Just don't expect Tatar to be a beast out there. He will disappoint in the strength department and puck battles

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This roster needs his shot.... Especially with Galchenyuk and Patch gone. Just don't expect Tatar to be a beast out there. He will disappoint in the strength department and puck battles
He is not a savior but a decent stop gap until some youngsters are ready. I am hoping Scherbak takes the leap finally this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad